• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Oh, and after rebuilding the 110, (total engine overhaul, paint, missing parts, etc.), I only had $700.00 in the 110. Heck I couldn't even buy a Walmart Murray for that price and I'm pretty certain that a Walmart Murray would not still be running after 20 years. 

Those old Deere's were built to last!

#32 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 10:22 PM

I mow with a 24 yr old MTD, that I paid $30 for. Still works fine.

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#33 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 25, 2014 - 10:42 PM

I mow with a 24 yr old MTD, that I paid $30 for. Still works fine.

Your 24 yr old MTD was built better then the new tinfoil crap my call lawn/garden tractors of today.

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Don't remember if i posted here.

A diesel repowered Ariends M10D Trac Team 26 '' mower for Williamsburg, Craftsmen tin box 38 '' cut for Ashfield (back up, Simplicity will be main mower), Ford 1200 three point rotary mower and a walk behind MTD 30'' for Westhampton.

• Likesspace said thank you

#35 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Well Dave,

I am 50 as well, so sorry if I can't be sympathetic. I think that you will find that when you have a load on the tractor, it will not be so prone to run away. But if you are looking for a lazy tool- the DB is not it. I get quite a workout using mine, but it makes a big job doable. Here is a video of me running my tractor to give you an idea of the pace it works at-

http://www.theameric...ute-garden-prep

Hope this helps- don't give up because you have to wrestle it a little at times. In the end it will work out. Do you have attachments?

• trowel, Likesspace and Jake00002 have said thanks

#36 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sdevine.....

That was a great video! Thanks.

I'd say that my tractor runs at about the same speed as yours so I guess I do have the correct motor sheave on it.

Honestly I'm sure that I can keep up with the tractor but I do expect it to be a workout.

Most of my 50 year old aches and pains come from still thinking I can play racquetball 3 times a week. 

I'm sure it's not as easy as running a rear tine tiller but I'm also sure that when all is said and done it will do a better and more thorough job than a rear tine tiller.  At least that's what I'm hoping for. 

Thank again. I really enjoyed the video you linked and also the assembly video.

• sdevine said thank you

#37 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Sdevine....

Late last night I realized that you have several videos that show the restoration of your DB from start to finish.

Last night I watched several and plan on finishing up tonight.

Those are some great videos that are going to be a great help when I start tearing mine down. Thanks!

Oh and yes I do have a few attachments. So far I have a disc, 6" plow, snow blade and cultivator. 

I also have access to a sickle bar mower and tree saw but I'm not sure that I really have a use for either of them, (although I still want them). The attachment that I'm really wanting is a reel mower but so far I haven't been able to find one.

The guy I bought my tractor from also has another DB that has a 5 HP Briggs on it.

I passed the day that I bought mine but I'm thinking about going back and picking it up.

I keep telling myself that it will be a "parts tractor" but I'd probably end up putting one of the implements on it and using it. 

He gave me the option of buying either or both for $100.00 each, which honestly seems like a good price. 

If one of my employees doesn't buy the other one I'm probably going to have it by next week.

• Alc, sdevine and trowel have said thanks

#38 The Fife Plooman OFFLINE  

The Fife Plooman
  • Member No: 54903
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 02:41 AM

Hi

My friend has a David Bradley with plough he used to try and plough at full throttle only made a mess { new to ploughing)

There is always a beginning.

I found if you set the throttle just above stall you can walk behind with ease and make a very good job.

Good luck

:wave: :rolling:

• Alc, trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#39 Likesspace ONLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Plooman....

Thanks for the information.

I was initially running mine at full throttle so that was probably the problem.

I talked to a friend yesterday that used to take care of a one acre garden with a DB

He said he always ran his about half throttle and it made all of the difference in the world.

He said that not only did it do a better job but you weren't worn out at the end of the day.

That's exactly what I am looking for.

I have to go to the farm tomorrow to dig some post holes and build trellis systems for our grapes and blackberries.

After that I plan on taking the DB for another trip around the yard at a lower throttle setting and see how it works. I'm also planning on having my wife take her camera and getting some pics of the tractor and equipment. I know I've been promising this but this has not been a good week for me. 

Tonight I tore down my disc harrow to tighten up one of the gangs. Holy crap! I'm pretty sure that the main nut that holds the gang together hadn't been off for the last 64 years. I ended up heating the nut to cherry red before I could break it loose with an impact wrench. Thankfully my dear wife was willing to hold the other end of the shaft with a pipe wrench or I never would have gotten it to break free. 

Tomorrow I'm planning on getting the disc harrow back together and breaking the adjustment bolts loose on the plow and also doing some work on the cultivator. That way I'll be ready to make the proper adjustments on the plow and get the cultivator ready to go once my hitch bar arrives, next week, (THANKS TROWEL!). That, along with playing racquetball in the morning and setting up my trellises for grapes and blackberries should make for a pretty full day. 

#40 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well Dave,

I am 50 as well, so sorry if I can't be sympathetic. I think that you will find that when you have a load on the tractor, it will not be so prone to run away. But if you are looking for a lazy tool- the DB is not it. I get quite a workout using mine, but it makes a big job doable. Here is a video of me running my tractor to give you an idea of the pace it works at-

http://www.theameric...ute-garden-prep

Hope this helps- don't give up because you have to wrestle it a little at times. In the end it will work out. Do you have attachments?

Did you read the post? Your just trying to sell your show, show the attachment change over, show me your hands and scares from work, then I'll take you serious.

Edited by Fluid, March 28, 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#41 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Did you read the post? Your just trying to sell your show, show the attachment change over, show me your hands and scares from work, then I'll take you serious.

Thank you for your comments, Fluid. Yes, I do shamelessly plug my show- it is about inspiring people to get off their backsides and go re-learn how to fend for themselves- a re-igniting of the American Spirit. It sounds like you have a lot of expertise- perhaps you would like to share your expertise with us? I am always looking of good subject matter experts. Perhaps instead of looking at my scars, look instead at the work I produce. If you find the show's information insufficient, perhaps you have something positive to contribute? There are those who are finding it helpful. Good luck in all you endeavors.

• VSTROM803 and Likesspace have said thanks

#42 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Dave and gang- I plowed again this fall, used my cultivator, and I am starting to get the hang of it. As the DB bogs down, I am lifting up a little on the handles so it doesn't go to China. It is getting easier to use as I go along. Also, after adding 120 bags of humus, 40 bags of manure, and some sand, the soil is getting easier to work. Although I will say I don't think it is there yet. I plan to do that same routine next spring. Right now, I planted grains for the winter- barley, rye, oats and 3 varieties of wheat- all heirloom. Some say that they are also good for 'green manure' so hopefully after I harvest in the spring, the plant material will help the soil. But, as far as the tractor goes, I have stopped pushing it, and figured out how to make sure it stays going under its own power.

• Likesspace said thank you

#43 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Stephen...

I got to spend a lot of time with the DB this spring and finally figured out how to run it. It was still quite a workout but it turned out to be much easier than my first few attempts.

I have the tractor completely restored now and am currently working on the various implements that I have.

The front blade/snow plow is finished as is the moldboard plow.

Currently I'm finishing the cultivator and then finally I'll have the disc to do.

The implements are a bit of a challenge to repaint but all in all it's a fun project. Now that my gardening season has come to an end I have plenty of time to devote myself to the DB projects. 

Once I get the implements finished I will post a photo of everything together. Unfortunately my summers are spent doing a lot of work so my participation on the forum is pretty much non-existent. 

But now that fall is turning into winter I plan on being on here much more often. Looking forward to discussing the DB tractors with you guys.

Dave

• Alc and sdevine have said thanks

#44 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted November 05, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Now you know why David Bradley's are also called mankillers. You have to be gentle with them. If you try and manhandle them they will whip you. I have a '49 with the Model N Briggs. The lady I bought it from told me her husband used it to skid telephone poles for a dock and a pole barn he built. They are horses.
  • Alc, sdevine and Likesspace have said thanks

#45 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 07, 2014 - 02:37 PM

I do have to scratch my head at some of the video's where guy's are running wide open throttle, or near that working the Bradley's, then call them mankillers. If you have the OEM sized pulley, and engine somewhat up to snuff, they will move along at a very reasonable speed.

Here is a short video I posted in another thread of the last one I got running with a 2, or 2-1/2 hp. Tecumseh ( I forget at the moment), pulling my modified 12 shank cultivator through new growth veggies. I like to run pretty slow, so as not to flip crusty clods on the tiny plants. It will go even slower, but wanted to run the engine fast enough to keep the oil slinging up. And it is not a variable speed machine... My Big 5 will do the same.

• sdevine and Likesspace have said thanks