wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:29 PM

wow I'd like to see where this info came from.

The manual lol
  • Likesspace said thank you

#17 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:31 PM

one side of the pully should be 2 1/4 the other 2 1/2.

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:33 PM

The manual says 2.1 and 2.4 diameters. I know I read that info straight out of one of the manuals a few years ago and committed it to memory. Can't find my manuals to prove it all, but ah well. I believe it was the Operators Manual and it was within the first few pages.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Page eight under "drive pulley"

http://gardentractor...nual-917-57560/

I was wrong on engine speed, it says 3200. I really thought those old engines were only 1600-1800 rpm.

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:40 PM

And reduced to 1 1/2 if needed for the 56 model.

I am lost as to what manual you got that from ?

The manual lol

You do realize the factory specs for just about all air cooled gas engine rates at 3600 rpm governed, some are down rated to usually 2250 or 2850 for certain applications.

To reduce a 3 hp Briggs to 1800 rpm would make it a 1/4 hp and just about useless, the power band of just about all the engines under 4 hp starts at 2500 rpm.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and Likesspace have said thanks

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:42 PM

And reduced to 1 1/2 if needed for the 56 model.

I am lost as to what manual you got that from ?

You do realize the factory specs for just about all air cooled gas engine rates at 3600 rpm governed, some are down rated to usually 2250 or 2850 for certain applications.

To reduce a 3 hp Briggs to 1800 rpm would make it a 1/4 hp and just about useless, the power band of just about all the engines under 4 hp starts at 2500 rpm.

My post just before yours states that I was wrong about at least one of my facts, but I was certain of myself when I posted, just didn't bother to check all my facts since I was certain I had that all committed to memory perfectly. Mind you, it had been at least 5 years since I read that manual.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 23, 2014 - 08:42 PM.

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#22 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I think I may have stuck the calipers on the factory pulley to determine it was around those 2.1 and 2.4 numbers.... But can't recall.

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 09:00 PM

It happens, memories lie to the brain sometimes.

DB made several different pulley for different model engines and tractors, Keven has the manuals for the 56 we rebuilt, you could ask him.

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 09:48 PM

I have over 10 complete and 10 parts DB walk behinds and I haven't done much with them since I got into the Springfields and that was a few years back now. I do have one of them DBs restored and implementation that would make a lot of guys jealous. In fact, I was tipped off on a deal for a restored DB (1946 I think) with sulky, saw, and all the hard to get implements restored also, and he was only asking $1000-1500 or something like that. Hell of a deal but I passed it up. Figured it was too nice (and expensive) to be scrapped, so someone would give it a good home. Want to add I do not have the room even if I had wanted it lol.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 23, 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Good to know,  let us know when you know for sure.

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 05:42 AM

On my DB that someone put a replacement motor on they also put a  much smaller pulley on the engine side  but tried to keep the OEM size along   for the sickle bar . I would think it would have gone pretty fast without that small of pulley

Attached Thumbnails

• post-1094-0-76690700-13350302181.jpg

Edited by Alc, March 24, 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#27 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Well I still haven't made it out to the farm to check the pulley sizes, (or get some photos). A few days ago I was certain that spring was right around the corner but today was a high of 38 degrees with a north wind at 20 mph. This weather is really getting old. 

I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow to measure the pulleys, break down one of the disc gangs and get some photos. I might also bring the tractor, disc and plow home so that I can work on it at night when time permits. 

I'm really hoping to have a hitch bar built by this weekend and the plow and disc adjusted and ready to go. I really just want to take it out into one of my dad's fields and give it a try. 

I figure that I can't screw up much in an 80 acre field so that's the best way to learn how to run the tractor and adjust the implements. Once everything is set up and working I'll then move to the garden plot and really start to play. Trowel has been very helpful in finding me a hitch bar so hopefully by that time I'll have the original and can really do some damage.

I've owned this tractor since Saturday and haven't gotten to spend a bit of time with it. I'm a little OCD so that's been really playing heavily on my mind. I'm ready to get it into the shop and start working on it. Unfortunately the weather and life hasn't been cooperating. 

I appreciate all of the information concerning the pulleys that control ground speed.

After watching a few Youtube videos I really think that this one is running at about the correct speed. I still might want to put a slightly smaller sheave on the motor just to slow it down a little for my old legs. 

When I first go this thing I thought of it as a toy and a project. Now I'm starting to feel like it's closer to an obsession. 

I own three antique John Deere garden tractors and have spent many hours tuning and playing with them. For some strange reason I've just always liked the old stuff.

#28 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:12 PM

One more thing...

You guys supply way too much good information......hitting that "thanks" button takes a lot of time when every post is helpful.  :D

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#29 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'd sell for the JD tractors and invest in more walk-behinds. If  you get enough of them you won't have to change or adjust attachments every time to switch them, as they would already be on the tractor.

#30 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well, honestly I'm planning on trading in two of the John Deeres this year.

I have a mid 80's 212 and a mid 80's 111 that I'm not that obsessed with anymore. I still love the 212 but when I bought it I didn't have to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it.

I also have a 1966 round fender 110 that I stripped to the frame nearly 20 years ago. We have been share a LOT of those previously mentioned blood, sweat and tears and I'm not sure that I'm ready to part with it.

When I bought it for $60.00 my dad was convinced that I'd paid too much for her.

After stripping it down and putting it back together I used it exclusively for the next 15 years as my main mower and she's still running strong today. 

I've had several people who have wanted to buy it but that's one tractor that right now I'm not sure I could part with. 

I've decided to buy a new John Deere zero turn and our local Deere dealer really wants the 110. I'm already planning on trading in the 212 and possibly the 111 but at this point I'm not sure about giving up the 110. Besides I want to keep one of them as a spare in case the zero turn breaks down. 

It's amazing how attached you can become to a hunk of steel, isn't it?

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks