• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Today I took my newly acquired two wheel tractor for a spin around the yard.

Maybe it was because there was no implement attached but man.....it seemed as though the thing was pretty much flying.

Is there a way to slow the speed of the tractor down?

Also, if I have a plow or disc or cultivator in the ground will this make the tractor run more slowly than it did while just driving it around the yard?

I'm 50 years old and I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep up with it at the speed it is running right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 10:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. It hads been some time since I used a walkbehind but I believe the throttle control is the speed control. The last one we had was in the 60s and I was 15 then. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help. By the way We Like Pictures. If you can post a few.    Good Luck.                                  Roger.

• Likesspace said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Welcome to the forum!

A lot of times you can get away with less throttle, since the walkers are geared so low. 

Ben W.

#4 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 22, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Today I took my newly acquired two wheel tractor for a spin around the yard.

Maybe it was because there was no implement attached but man.....it seemed as though the thing was pretty much flying.

Is there a way to slow the speed of the tractor down?

Also, if I have a plow or disc or cultivator in the ground will this make the tractor run more slowly than it did while just driving it around the yard?

I'm 50 years old and I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep up with it at the speed it is running right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I don't know anything about a David Bradley, but the Gravely walk behind tractors you can get gear reduction wheels that can slow things down.   Are you sure there isn't a hi/lo gear lever for the transaxle/transmission?

#5 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 11:07 PM

My first thought is if it is the original engine/pulley combo or has it been modified? Pictures and the model number from the tag on the gearbox will tell the story.

• superaben and Likesspace have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,603 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I know an old fellow that calls his David Bradley 2 wheeler a "run behind" instead of a walk behind.  :(

Assuming your engine pulley is the correct [factory] one,  the only thing you can do is mount a smaller pulley to gear it down.  A smaller diameter generac pulley from a farm store would work if you are not running power driven attachments. 

If you have a plow in the ground you will have some tire slippage so that will somewhat slow ground speed.  The problem with that is the slippage will not be constant so that is not a good way to figure on regulating speed.  

Some models of the Bradley 2 wheelers had an optoin called "speed changer" that gave a slight variable in ground speed.  They are not real common and my experience is thay are not overly effective.  They do help and are better than nothing if you could find one to adapt to your tractor. 

Best of luck and welcome to GTTalk!  Gald you found us.   :wave:

• KC9KAS and Likesspace have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I like that "run behind" comment!

A change in pulley size is about the only way to change the ground speed.

Edited by KC9KAS, March 23, 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Likesspace ONLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone!

I'm pretty certain that the pulley on the transmission is the original but I'm not so sure about the one on the engine. The original motor has been replaced with a 3 hp Briggs so that might be the problem.

The tractor is currently at my dad's farm so I wasn't able to get any pics today. I'm hoping to make it out there this week to do a little bit of work on the old girl.

If so I will snap some pics and post them up. According to the model number, (9175756) it is a 1950 model year. I'm pretty sure that aluminum pulleys would have been a rarity in 1950 and if I remember correctly there is an aluminum sheave on the motor.

I did have the engine full throttle when I took it for a drive so slowing it down slightly might help.

I'm hoping that by the weekend I will either have a hitch bar fabricated or bought and the plow adjusted so I can see what this thing is capable of. I also plan on tearing down one of the disc gangs and shimming it up to it's at it's proper tightness and angle.

I grew up on a farm and have spent many hours working on equipment but for the last 30 or so years I've been riding a desk and crunching numbers. I'm sure I'll have fun working on the tractor and implements but I'm not so sure that my 50 year old body will be thankful. 

Thanks again everyone.

#9 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Oh and one more question.....

Can someone tell me what size of sheave is supposed to be on a David Bradley engine?

That way if mine is too large I can pick one up at our local bearing shop and swap it out.

Thanks again.

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Sounds like it is way too big, at max rpm speed you should be going at a good pace, running is overrated,  variable speed changer and speed reducer would solve that problem but are far and wide to find.

The engine drive pulley originally be 1 1/2 but changed depending on the job required.

I have been waiting for someone with a 56 tractor : http://www.google.co....62922401,d.cGU

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 06:24 PM

David Bradley walk behinds have engines rated at 1800 rpm and the gearing for speed is simple. The original engine pulley was 2.4 inch diameter and 2.1 inch diameter on the outside edge of the pulley. The 2.4 inch diameter groove of the pulley would allow the tractor to travel at 2.4 miles per hour at full rpm. The 2.1 inch diameter pulley reduced te tractor speed to 2.1 miles per hour at full rpm. Now, that makes picking a pulley size real easy. Howvever fast you want to go, get that size pulley for the engine, provided it is not been repowered with a faster revving engine.

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 06:30 PM

David Bradley walk behinds have engines rated at 1800 rpm and the gearing for speed is simple. The original engine pulley was 2.4 inch diameter and 2.1 inch diameter on the outside edge of the pulley. The 2.4 inch diameter groove of the pulley would allow the tractor to travel at 2.4 miles per hour at full rpm. The 2.1 inch diameter pulley reduced te tractor speed to 2.1 miles per hour at full rpm. Now, that makes picking a pulley size real easy. Howvever fast you want to go, get that size pulley for the engine, provided it is not been repowered with a faster revving engine.

1800 rpm engine ? 2.1 diameter pulley ?

#13 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Okay, so I'll check out the pulley sizes that I have. I know that there is both an inside and outside pulley on the engine, (they are two separate pulleys though so I'm sure that they are replacements), but the outside, smaller pulley is broken. I assume that I need to measure the outside diameter of the pulley and not the circumference to know what size I have. Is that correct?

Thanks again, guys.

• trowel said thank you

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:27 PM

1800 rpm engine ? 2.1 diameter pulley ?

wow I'd like to see where this info came from.

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Yes, diameter, not circumference.

And yes Trowel. Not crazy talk, but actually the engines are 1600 rpm governed, like a 3600 rpm engine is 3250 governed lol.