Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Back To Working On The 1971 1614 Pk... Again!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 06:58 PM

For months I have been working on the '71 1614 PK on and off trying to get it running right. Right now, it has no spark. I don't know why, but I had the carb off for a week or so to clean it and when I put it back on, there was no spark.

It has a new coil, new condenser, new points, and still no spark. I am getting power to the coil, but not out of the coil. There is power to the coil all the time, I am pretty sure that one of the terminals should have intermittent power? I have checked my connections and they all seem to be perfectly fine. What should I look for next? I am really beating my head on the wall with this tractor.

Once I get this one running, I think I am going to sell it. I have not used it properly in over a year, so obviously it is not a necessity to my working tractor fleet. Another reason I am thinking about selling it is that when I leave for the navy, I don't need a huge collection of tractors sitting at my house not being used; I would rather have somebody else get use out of it then have it waste away.
  • A.C.T. and SamMC have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Ryan, do you have a good connection from the chassis side of the points back to the battery - terminal.  If that connection is bad you won't get any current through the coil and you will have 12volts on both sides of the coil all the time.  I assume that the points are opening and closing properly and that you have made sure the points themselves are clean. I've had a new set of points that were coated with something that prevented a good connection when they closed. 

• trowel and SamMC have said thanks

#3 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 21, 2014 - 10:08 PM

You may also check the ground of the engine to the chassis/frame,  Is the metal where the coil mounts good and clean (no paint or rust).   Good Luck

• superaben and SamMC have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Ryan, do you have a good connection from the chassis side of the points back to the battery - terminal.  If that connection is bad you won't get any current through the coil and you will have 12volts on both sides of the coil all the time.  I assume that the points are opening and closing properly and that you have made sure the points themselves are clean. I've had a new set of points that were coated with something that prevented a good connection when they closed. 

That is true.  New points even in air type wrapping will oxidize.  I always clean them on brown paper before installing them to save frustration.

Ryan, you might also check your wires for rubbing or wear as they go into the breaker box.  That happens often.

Ben W.

• SamMC said thank you