Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Would You Pay For A Steel Bench Vise?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Several months ago my uncle sent me a link you a video series where a guy made a steel bench vise. It did not occur to me until yesterday that I could probably make a couple an sell them. I know some cast iron vises sell for $600, $700 and even $800 dollars. I know I probably wouldn't get even close to that for a steel one, but what would you guys pay for a steel vise?

I am pretty sure that just about every uses a cast iron vise as an anvil from time to time and some of you might have broken vises like that before. With a steel vise, that wouldn't be an issue. You could also crank down on something to wail on it and not worry about it breaking.
  • HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I don't know but when I read the title the first thing that came to my mind was, "but wait! There's more!"

• KC9KAS and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 01:38 PM

I don't think you will even get your money for the steel back. I have bought half a dozen old heavy vises for $20 to $30 at fleamarkets. The vises are going to be time consuming. On the other hand, a heavy duty steel welding table is usually popular and wouldn't take much time to build.

Just because you have the ability to do something doesnt make it a good idea. It is good that you are questioning things. It will save you from trouble in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

• IamSherwood, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Rick is right. You would need to see how much it would cost in steel and then how long it would take to make and then figure out a price and then compare it to a cast iron vise.  It sounds good and if the price was right I might be interested.

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ebay flooded with 6" china vises under $100 free shipping.  Most homeowner types probably fine with that.  Mechanic i know busted his iron vise, he mig welded and held up fine heavy shop use every day, most guys needing a big quality vise probably can weld them if break, rest of us get by with a cheap one, don't see much profit margin making your own, also needs to be close tolerance if high-dollar so works for small jobs or buyers going to get pissed if jaws slip precision work, just my .02

• KennyP, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 03:18 PM

I agree with others. The cost of the steel and machining to build a Vice with the mass to take the abuse not to mention the work involved in building would push the cost beyond profitablilty. And if priced to make a profit I think you will find less demand than you might think.and be in a very specialized market(you could read that as limited).

I'm using a cast iron vice and If I'm exceeding it's ablilties I'm using the wrong tool or working too hard.

I would sure like to have a good anvil bit your looking at around $30-$50 a pound or better on that. So till I find a decent one cheap I'll just have to keep beating on my railroad iron.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 03:31 PM

A welder I know builds small ornamental stuff for outside and inside use and sells it at craft markets. I agree that welding tables are something that sell very quickly if they are up for sale here. A lot of guys are buying small wire feed welders and don't have a table. You might try putting one together and trying to sell it. If you can find scrap steel it would make it cheaper to build.  

• KennyP, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 05:09 PM

A welder I know builds small ornamental stuff for outside and inside use and sells it at craft markets.

:iagree:   A lot of people will buy that sort of thing. I think there is good money to be made there.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 21, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Make up some plans, build a prototype, add up your costs (material,labor,ect.) Give yourself some profit. Show quality, come up with your price and ask yourself, would you pay that much for a good vice?    If you have one made up already, take some pictures I'd like to see your vice.            I had lots of vices, too many vices, but then I grew up.

• IamSherwood, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I knew it would probably be very profitable, or not profitable at all. I think I will make one for myself though either way, I want a vice that I can beat the hell out of and weld or tack things to if I need to do so.

I have thought of ordamwntal things before, but I don't know what to make. Does anybody have any ideas about anything I could build for profit?

#11 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Alright build your vice. Then work on the ornamental stuff with the vice. What to build you ask. Well as I see it you have two limitations in life, the money you have in your pocket and your imagination. Obviously you have the same money limitations as the rest of us so you need to override that with your imagination. This ornamental stuff is actually an art form. Go out to your junk pile and scrounge through it and find parts and pieces to weld together to form a sculpture. Can you take some junk and form it into something. Think of it as a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Look at what you have and close your eyes and imagine what you can do. Or build something useful from what you have. Just my rambling thoughts for you.

Kurtee

• KennyP, trowel, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Ryan let your imagination go wild. When my dad retired from Maytag he pastored a little church in Tatum NM for 10 yrs.

When I went out to see them the Christmas of 1990 he took me to a shop called poor boys metal art.

IT was amazing!!  So just think of something and do it.