• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,048 Thanks
  • 3,838 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:10 AM

I'm replacing my ammeter on my Wizard for the same reason, small draw. An ammeter is a fire/short/battery popper, waiting to happen, there's no need in the world for a gauge that requires full current in a world full of volt meters that are safe and give better info for the average guy.

#17 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 143 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'm with you on the volt meter swap.  I'm changing my equipment to volt meters as I redo them.  Better info & less chance of problems.  The problem I have encountered is needle vibration on my Jake with a single cyl Kohler.  I'm going to switch it to a digital & see what happens.

Skip

#18 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:57 AM

The problem with ammeters in these old machines, as well as some older circuit breakers is that they are not really water proof. If the machine is garage kept and never wet, they rarely give a problem but let it get rained on and the gauge fills with water and corrodes from the inside out. Every last one of my tractors with an ammeter gets wet when it rains, even under a tarp, they still on occasion get wet, not to mention using them in the rain or snow. Every time, the ammeter is at the minimum fogged up from the inside for weeks. I've bypassed or replaced nearly all of mine at least once now.

I only wish they would have made these things to survive better outdoors, All of us simply do not have garage space. I'm working on it now, but I'm afraid of what it'll do to my property taxes putting up a building to hold 20 or 30 tractors and other various toys and equipment. No doubt, the 'shed' will need to be double the size of the house.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,308 Thanks
  • 41,535 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:17 AM

All my tractors sit out and I've not had an amp meter get water in it yet.

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,048 Thanks
  • 3,838 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:56 AM

When I restored my '67 Impala SS, I replaced the ammeter with a lookalike volt meter. I've had 2 friends with dash fires, one totally burned a a '66 Olds 442 factory Tri-Power car, to the point it was unsalveagable. Both because of ammeter shorts. Any time you have full current running to the dash, you're asking for problems.