• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fish49 OFFLINE  

Fish49
  • Member No: 54483
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hello guys, this is my first post new member, I live in Grenada Ms. I just bought a 318 from a guy I have know for some time did not know he had this 318 it was a surprise to me.

He bought it from an old guy that bought it new the tractor is in pretty good shape, run good and everything works on it, but it does have a couple of problems.

1. when in  N. it wants to jerk forward a little

2. I can not get the parking break to work I can't move the lever

Also when I bought it I was told it had a 18 hp motor it has a  LX Linamar 790 everything I have seen on the internet says that is a 20 hp ?? 

ID on tractor is MOO318X10169

Any help would be welcome

This is my first JD of any kind always had  IH cubs

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Welcome to the forum.

The serial number is supposed to be 6 digits after the X, I have read. You might of missed a digit, maybe?

The original Onan B43 (1983-87) or P218 (1987-1992) were 18 hp engines. Your engine is a factory replacement engine that was built after Onan engines were no longer built in the U.S., due to no longer meeting EPA regulations. It is a 20 hp engine, it is the same as a P220.

On your hydro there is a turnbuckle in the linkage of your hydro control lever on the dash. That can be adjusted to get the creep out of neutral, but it is very touchy. Also check for any slop in any of those same linkages, even the tiniest bit will exacerbate the problem. 

The parking brake is a common problem, due to not being used. You need to follow the linkages and lube them to ensure proper function. If you remove the belly screen underneath, you will be able to see a good portion of that linkage. If that fails, you'll need to check the the actual brake. There is an adjusting nut on the linkage, and there is a star nut on the inside. It's hiding inside of that little rubber boot on the inside of the drum.

• Trav1s said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hello there and welcome :wave:

#4 Fish49 OFFLINE  

Fish49
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:08 PM

thanks for the info, it will be a great help you are correct on the ID # MOO318X010169

Those are the only problems I have at this time seem to be in good shape I just changed the oil and greased everything I think I'm going to like it

again thanks, I will try to post some pic soon

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:16 PM

Your 318 was the 169th built for the 1990 model year.

#6 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Fish49:

Welcome to GTT, and the "318 Club". I bought one about 2 1/2 years ago, and love it. I have the Operator's and Technical manuals as PDFs. Send me a Personal Message if you want them.

Harlan
  • Cat385B said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:54 PM

Fish, welcome to the fourm, i see you are getting some good help, your in good hands now.

Best of luck.

#8 Fish49 OFFLINE  

Fish49
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes guys it is good to be here, and Harlan thanks so much for the pdf's you sent they will be a lot of help in the future

#9 Fish49 OFFLINE  

Fish49
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Hello everyone I have been using my 318 for a couple of weeks now and ran into a problem with it running. last week I was tilling the lower garden and had some roots tangled up in the tine so I shut the 318 cleaned out the roots got back on the 318 and it would not do anything no click no grunt no nothing 

So I pulled in the shop and started trying to find out what was causing the problem. I replaced all the fuse connections and fuses unplugged all wire connections cleaned and inspected did not find the problem so I took the starter off and went to the rebuilder and he said the starter looked great there was nothing wrong with it so went home put it back on re bolted the motor hooked everything back up and it started and has been running great. So today I decide to cut the grass and got about half way through and it cut off just like you turned the key off, and now again it will not do anything no click no grunt no nothing. I called J D about a new wire harness for it they said it was obsolete could not get one but I did order a new key switch, anyone one else have problems like this that could tell me where to look for the problem, 

I would appreciate any help thanks 

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm really glad you wrote all the symptoms, (no click, no grunt, no nothing) that helps narrow it down.

Your problem is most likely a ground. I was going to suggest the coil, but if you have nothing after it dies, (including no lights on the dash) then that most likely rules that out.

Just dying out seems to a fuel problem, but not since it will not even crank over afterwords.

Locate the purple wire off the starter solenoid and track that little devil. Check it's connections and any grounding locations close to where that wire runs. You should also remove the Time Delay Module and clean the mounting points of that, also.

#11 Fish49 OFFLINE  

Fish49
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, I put a new ing. switch in it and it fired up and is running like it use to. I did look at the purple wire but did not see anything wrong with it, but I will keep it in mind should I have any more problems

again Thanks a Lot

#12 Papa9 OFFLINE  

Papa9
  • Member No: 78753
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Harlan I just got a JD 318 with no book. I would love a PDF of anything you have on the 318. thank you very much for sharing.
Papa9

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hello guys, this is my first post new member, I live in Grenada Ms. I just bought a 318 from a guy I have know for some time did not know he had this 318 it was a surprise to me.

He bought it from an old guy that bought it new the tractor is in pretty good shape, run good and everything works on it, but it does have a couple of problems.

1. when in  N. it wants to jerk forward a little

2. I can not get the parking break to work I can't move the lever

Also when I bought it I was told it had a 18 hp motor it has a  LX Linamar 790 everything I have seen on the internet says that is a 20 hp ?? 

ID on tractor is MOO318X10169

Any help would be welcome

This is my first JD of any kind always had  IH cubs

Welcome!  Glad to see others have helped with the problem.  Grab that service manual and you will be all set.

Edited by Trav1s, December 17, 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#14 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Harlan I just got a JD 318 with no book. I would love a PDF of anything you have on the 318. thank you very much for sharing.
Papa9

Papa9:

Check your Personal Messages (PM). I sent you something.

Harlan

• Trav1s and Oldford have said thanks

#15 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 06:27 PM

Harlan, I just wanted to jump in and THANK YOU for being so gracious and willing to help others. You are truly an example of what makes this site so great.

Don.

• Trav1s said thank you