I got rid of the smoking! I decided to pull the injectors to see if that might be the problem. They had some carbon on the ends but nothing major. I looked at the IPL for the engine and it showed the injectors could be disassembled. So with much trepidation (word for the day) I took them apart. I did it one at a time. The first one I did looked good and clean inside, no real dirt or anything built up. It took a little while to figure out how it worked as far as fuel flow. I could not get the plunger out of the nozzle though. I did not know if it was supposed to come out or not so I didnt force it.
The second one did not come out of the head so easily but I did get it out. I dissambled and cleaned it too. When I blew air into the nozzle fuel feed passage,the plunger cam flying out! It slipped back into the nozzle with out any problems or binding. AFter seeing this I reassmbled the injector and took the other one apart again. Sure enough the plunger was stuck. I gently put it in the vice and used a small torch to heat up the nozzle body while I pulled on the plunger with pliers. AS soon as the plunger started to move I stopped heating it and pulled the plunger completly out. Once out I used the air nozzle to cool both pieces off. I could not see anything that would have caused the sticking, no build up, no trash, no tarnish. I chucked the plunger up in the hand drill and polished it with 2000 grit sand paper. It started sliding into the nozzle body but was still tight. I put a little liquid wrench on the plunger and tried again in the Nozzle body and it went in easier but still binding. I repaeted this 3-4 times and each time it got easier but still very stiff. I broke out the sea Foam, and used it for the lubricanton the plunger. When I pulled the shaft out it had a black tingh to it. I wiped it off with a white rag and it left the black stuff on the rag. I did this 6-7 times and the plunger started moving freely in the nozzle body. I could even use air pressure to blow it out.
I reinstalled the injectors and cranked it up, the heavy smoking was gone. Just what I would consider normal exhaust. The engine will now idle and rev up without hesitation. I am a happy camper!
I plan on doing an article of sort with pics for this procedure. Hopefully it will save a few engines and some dollars for some folks.
PS. I got the hood rough fitted too.