coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Well the deisel is in and running but it smokes like a freight train. The smoke is white and smells like deisel. I am assumming I am getting incomplete combustion. I dont know how long this engine has sat and I dont know the condition of the injectors. I have put Lucas deisel conditioner in it. I start it up every day for a few minutes but I have not let it run long enough to get good and hot. It runs me out of the shop before it has time to warm up. Also when I try to idle the engine it dies. I dont know anything about deisels so any help would be appreciated.

Lombardini 10ld400 out of a allis/simplicity 7790

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Admitting you have a smoking problem is the first step towards getting help.

Other than that I have nothing.

• coldone, JDBrian, HowardsMF155 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Admitting you have a smoking problem is the first step towards getting help.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:40 PM

A few things to check.

1 timing

2 compression

3 air inlet restriction

4 fuel nozzels/injector - ie popping pressure, spray pattern

• coldone, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:49 PM

:iagree:

• coldone said thank you

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I would say that you have some rings that are going bad. If its white smoke and its consistent while its running I would lean towards that. Even the gas motors have white smoke when their rings start to go because what your doing is burning some oil that makes it way past the piston and eventually gets burned along with the diesel fuel. Now if its not that I would check your compression for when it dies or clean out your injector lines. Physically take the injector line off and blow air through it to be sure that any type of dirt particle has been removed.  

• coldone said thank you

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 03:02 PM

I got rid of the smoking! I decided to pull the injectors to see if that might be the problem. They had some carbon on the ends but nothing major. I looked at the IPL for the engine and it showed the injectors could be disassembled. So with much trepidation (word for the day) I took them apart. I did it one at a time. The first one I did looked good and clean inside, no real dirt or anything built up. It took a little while to figure out how it worked as far as fuel flow. I could not get the plunger out of the nozzle though. I did not know if it was supposed to come out or not so I didnt force it.

The second one did not come out of the head so easily but I did get it out. I dissambled and cleaned it too. When I blew air into the nozzle fuel feed passage,the plunger cam flying out! It slipped back into the nozzle with out any problems or binding. AFter seeing this I reassmbled the injector and took the other one apart again. Sure enough the plunger was stuck. I gently put it in the vice and used a small torch to heat up the nozzle body while I pulled on the plunger with pliers. AS soon as the plunger started to move I stopped heating it and pulled the plunger completly out. Once out I used the air nozzle to cool both pieces off. I could not see anything that would have caused the sticking, no build up, no trash, no tarnish. I chucked the plunger up in the hand drill and polished it with 2000 grit sand paper. It started sliding into the nozzle body but was still tight. I put a little liquid wrench on the plunger and tried again in the Nozzle body and it went in easier but still binding. I repaeted this 3-4 times and each time it got easier but still very stiff. I broke out the sea Foam, and used it for the lubricanton the plunger. When I pulled the shaft out it had a black tingh to it. I wiped it off with a white rag and it left the black stuff on the rag. I did this 6-7 times and the plunger started moving freely in the nozzle body. I could even use air pressure to blow it out.

I reinstalled the injectors and cranked it up, the heavy smoking was gone. Just what I would consider normal exhaust. The engine will now idle and rev up without hesitation. I am a happy camper!

I plan on doing an article of sort with pics for this procedure. Hopefully it will save a few engines and some dollars for some folks.

PS. I got the hood rough fitted too.

• olcowhand, powerking56, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Good deal!  May have to do that with my Yanmar in the Massey 1655D.  It has begun to blow white smoke when cold, and has a bit of a miss, but all goes completely away when she's warmed up good.