• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• Member No: 1653
  • 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 11:27 AM

I just kept slipping took over 4 hrs to snow blow.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 04:06 PM

You could liquid fill the tires in the meantime until you find wheel weights. Or add some weight to the back of it from a bracket. I have yet to see factory wheel weights for sale but then I haven't really been looking either. I did see a set of cast concrete wheel weights and rims on ebay but I think they were for the 400 series tractors.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Weights or filled tires are a must for snow removal whether it be a blower or blade.
Like George mentioned above you may be better filling the rear tires

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 05:53 PM

Looks like you need a couple dozen trips to the dollar menu

#5 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Case wheel weights for 12" wheels do show up on eBay now and again but the asking price reflects the scarcity of those weights and from what I remember a single weight is not that heavy. I've been giving some consideration to purchasing some cast iron 12" John Deere LGT wheel weights and painting them Power Red (Case color). John Deere wheel weights are 50lbs each. You could, as was mentioned, fabricate a rear weight bracket but then you need weights to place on/in the bracket so there's another obstacle.

Personally I won't fill a tire with any liquid because I've seen what liquid filled tires look like once they're taken apart. One exception, however, would be Rim Guard or what some call Bee Juice (because it has a sticky consistence) not only for its non corrosive properties but its environmental safety factor. Nothing like getting a puncture and spilling Calcium Chloride all over the soil.

Fabricate a weight bracket on the rear and figure out some sort of weight to use i.e. dumb bells, plate steel, old tractor suitcase weights etc. Visit your local tractor dealer and ask if they have any left over suitcase weight brackets removed from any of the tractors in the lot or sales floor that had front end loaders installed. Sometimes you can get them for a real reasonable price and I've heard of guys getting them for free. That's always a good starting point for a weight bracket all you need to do is figure out how to mount it to your tractor - pretty easy. In addition, I really hate the idea of using rear tire chains because they never seem to fit right or the way I think they should and wreak havoc on fenders and axles as and when they come loose but you might want to think about rear tire chains as well. Just my .50 cents. :smile1:

I have several of these I picked up at a tractor dealer by me and got them for a very good price. They came on brand new Cub Cadet compact utility tractors (the X3200 series I think) and were removed to have FEL mounted. They were out in the tractor yard on a pallet and if I didn't take 'em they'd just rust way in the yard.

[ATTACH]9517[/ATTACH]

Kenneth

Attached Thumbnails

• cc_03_weightbracket_c.jpg

#6 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'll be talking to a friend who works at a foundry this weekend, hoping to see if he can cut me a deal on casting som weights for different tractors

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:44 PM

You may want to look at chains before buying weights. I was having trouble seeing from the video, but couldn't see any chains on your tires. While weights are a definite help, you appear to have an uphill climb when cleaning the driveway. If you develop any kind of ice build up at the bottom of the snow, chains are the only way to go. You just have to be careful and not let your tractor spin too much and cause damage to the driveway. There have also been posts about using rubber chains to minimize damage to blacktop. I do like KBear's weight box. Very nice.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:36 AM

If it were me,I'd probably load the tires.

#9 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 02:03 PM

SO far I purchased snow pants LOL.
Still waiting on some xtra money.

#10 Norwood EYE OFFLINE  

Norwood EYE

• Member No: 1994
  • 4 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 02:20 PM

I have seen homemade weights done by lining the wheel with plastic and pouring in concrete, then removing the plastic and mounting the weight when dry, of course you would want to set in some mounting bolts before pouring but I have seen a few examples that looked pretty good and did the job for a fraction of what you will pay for prefabbed weights.

#11 greenmeanie OFFLINE  

greenmeanie

• 1 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:17 PM

I did buy chains helped out a lot.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 04:51 PM

I have seen homemade weights done by lining the wheel with plastic and pouring in concrete, then removing the plastic and mounting the weight when dry, of course you would want to set in some mounting bolts before pouring but I have seen a few examples that looked pretty good and did the job for a fraction of what you will pay for prefabbed weights.

I have often thought about trying out a set of homemade concrete weights. Mainly for the ones that strictly work and that I don't take to shows.

#13 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• Member No: 2739
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:15 PM

my dad put a set of chev 350 heads on the mount he made on the hitch.works great.cast iron,nice and heavy.

#14 flasharue OFFLINE  

flasharue

• Member No: 3993
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 09:10 AM

I just kept slipping took over 4 hrs to snow blow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVY4S_efdA

I have a set of weights and chains for a 222 contact me at bob5547@yahoo.com. $150.00

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 12:02 AM

had this same problem myself...and resoved it ...by making this simple bracket...my drive is on a slope so it was mandatory, after I made it ...no problem anymore
Case gains weight pictures by Adrenalin540 - Photobucket