• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:41 PM

A while back on this topic I mentioned that I had aquired a free T-758 which needed a good clean up and an engine rebuild. Well, I did the engine rebuild during the winter, got it installed back in the tractor this past spring and got it running, only to find out the governor wasn't working. Yep - did all of the usual gov adjustments and inspections until the cows came home. Still couldn't get the motor to stop bogging down under load or trying to over-rev, which told me the problem was internal and a problem with the gov gear. Well that's just bleeping great! That means the motor had to come back out and be torn down to the bare block.
I knew I wasn't going have the time to mess with it till fall so decided to bypass the gov by running the throttle cable directly to the carb. It wasn't an ideal set-up but at least I could still use the tractor to move things around the yard, and maybe bring the old beater to a tractor pull or two. Just had to be careful not to over do it with the throttle. This worked ok but that was about it. Just "better than nothing". I talked to a few people that said that when these engines sit too long without running and outdoors unprotected
moisture can cause things like the governor gear to foul up due to sticking weights or center pin but can sometimes work their way loose again with enough running time. Of course that was the one thing I didn't check out when I had the motor apart. I just figured "what could be wrong with it. there isn't all that much to it".
Well, last weekend I decided to put the gov back the way it was supposed to be and see what happens. If it still didn't work then the engine was going to have to come out and get torn down - AGAIN!I got it back to normal, did the usual adjustments, started it up and let it run for a good while to warm up. Took it for a ride around the yard up and down some steep hills so it would have to deal with hard load and no load. I couldn't believe it - it was running just about as good as the wife's T707es. NO WAY!!! Did a couple more adjustments by tapping down on the arm that holds the throttle cable to bring the revs up on the top end, adjusted the fuel mixture screw to smooth it out and that was it. Talk about getting dipped in poop and coming up smelling like roses. Boy, did I learn my lesson. There's no way I'll get away with that twice.
I guess good things come to those who wait. :-))
  • panzersarebest, Savageman and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#92 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Boy, did I learn my lesson. There's no way I'll get away with that twice.
I guess good things come to those who wait. :-))

You're probably right.  At your age, you wouldn't have much time left to wait for more good things.  :smilewink:

Seriously though, I'm glad the governor weights freed up for you.  What motor oil were you using?  I can see the commercial now, you sitting there on the Panzer holding a bottle of oil and spouting off about the cleaning abilities of XYZ motor oil. "Now with the new patented microscrubber molecules!"

• KennyP and panzersarebest have said thanks

#93 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 03:18 PM

You're probably right.  At your age, you wouldn't have much time left to wait for more good things.  :smilewink:

Seriously though, I'm glad the governor weights freed up for you.  What motor oil were you using?  I can see the commercial now, you sitting there on the Panzer holding a bottle of oil and spouting off about the cleaning abilities of XYZ motor oil. "Now with the new patented microscrubber molecules!"

Thanks PAL - I needed that. :shoot2:   Hey - did Tammy put you up to that one? Sounds like her brand of humor.

Anyway - it was just GTX 30 weight.

Edited by Panzerguy, October 29, 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#94 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 09:20 AM

I know it's hard to imagine being at a tractor show right now but it's not too early to start thinking of plans. With that in mind, don't forget that we'll be getting a group of Panzer people together again at the Zagray Farm Museum shows this year. The main gathering will more than likely will be at the July show, as we did last year but some of us will also be meeting up at the May and Oct shows. 

Also - the May show this year will be featuring "The Gathering of the Orange", which will be a large gathering of Allis Chalmers tractors and equipment. I know some of you are also into Allis Chalmers garden tractor so you might want to keep this in mind. This will be the first weekend in May. Yes - all brands of tractors will be welcome at this show, so don't don't be affraid to show up with a trailer full of Panzer stuff. Besides - turquoise looks good next to orange  :D

I'll pass along info as time draws near.

Big AL

• Clint, panzersarebest, Savageman and 1 other said thanks

#95 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Ill be there with my orange one lol
  • panzersarebest and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#96 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 13, 2015 - 10:28 AM

hoping this will be orange by then

Attached Thumbnails

• NEW 116.jpg
  • 018.jpg

Edited by Chris11, March 13, 2015 - 10:37 AM.

• Clint, panzersarebest and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#97 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:56 AM

The Bernardston, Mass Engine Show - 5/23/15. Mrs. Big AL sitting in front of the camper and Crazy Savage Dave sitting on his Craftsman rider.IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0669.JPG

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#98 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Anybody planning on going to the Brooklyn Ag Days Show on June 6-7? I'm thinking of bringing 2 or 3 Panzers out there Saturday if the weather is ok. It's located on Rt 169 in Brooklyn, CT at the Brooklyn Fairgrounds. Tractor pulls both days with the garden tractors pulling on Sunday.

#99 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I'll be bringing my 1107 only , the t70 is getting the engine overhauled. C u there

Tom
  • Panzerguy said thank you

#100 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 10:41 PM

I'll be bringing my 1107 only , the t70 is getting the engine overhauled. C u there

Tom

I wish they still did the BBQ Chicken dinner on Saturday nights.I think it was the same Boy Scout group that does it for the Brooklyn Fair. Ever try the Ham and Bean Supper at North Stonington Fair? It's worth going there just for that !!!!  :worshippy1: If you walk away hungry from that ..... It's your own fault!

#101 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I would go to the dinner I have never been. I started the 1107 today for the first time since October. All systems are go.
  • Savageman said thank you

#102 robert2001 OFFLINE  

robert2001
  • Member No: 61397
  • 13 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 07:28 PM

We are going up to Zagary and I plan to bring the dump cart. You guys could get some more measurements. 

#103 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Bangor, PA Show 2015-2.jpg Warren Pull 2015-18.jpg Warren Pull 2015-17.jpg

I see it's been too long since I posted anything on GTtalk so figured I'd throw a few pics out in case you haven't seen them on Facebook or elsewhere. Lets face it - not everybody is a big fan of Facebook, YouTube, etc.  The two wheelie shots were taken at the Warren Fall Festival pull in Warren, CT on Oct 10. This location is hard to beat for a Fall Festival, as the photo I took at the lake shows. Warren Pull 2015-4.jpg

The shot of the 707es with the camper was taken at the Blue Mountain Gas & Steam show in Bangor, PA on Oct 16. Nice show. If you haven't been there yet, try to check it out next year. They also have shows in May and July.

• Chris11 and Clint have said thanks

#104 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:26 PM

MOVING DAY! It pays to use the right tool for the job!Moving Day-2.jpg Moving Day-3.jpg Moving Day-4.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Moving Day.jpg

• Tbrooks said thank you

#105 panzerboy ONLINE  

panzerboy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 72541
  • 120 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Here is the speed box. The way I found this part was by my dad, he bought a David Bradley tri trac. His friend talked to the guy and he sold him a box for $15. Dad knew what it was but he forgot it over time. This year his buddy passed away and his son asked me and dad if we wanted any of the tractors to witch I said of course. On the way, dad said he had a part I've been looking for. First thing I saw was a nice bolens estate keeper I thought Steve Johnson would give to Cliffard. Then I saw parts of a panzer T70b. It was a rough tractor but on the hood of that panzer my eyes were wide open and I was surprised to see it. The speed box was alittle rusty but I wanted it that way. I asked how much for the panzer he said he wanted to do some research on it, I said ok just call us when u find a price. Months passed, he stopped by the shop at work and I asked did you find a price on the panzer. He said I sold it and my heart sanked cause I wanted to show Big Al we got one. I asked if he sold the box on the hood, he said what box? I told him he had a box that had a select a speed box I wanted to put back on a panzer to show. He began to think, he moved a box off the panzer and said he would look for it. On November 29th at 7:30 pm he brought the select a speed box to our house. I was very happy and thanked him multiple times and told him I will get it back together. We had it sandblasted and cleaned the parts. I'm looking for the model of it so I can make a tag for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2727.JPG
  • IMG_5082.JPG
  • IMG_5119.JPG