111 replies to this topic

#61 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've wondered the same thing.

Edited by panzersarebest, April 23, 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#62 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Well - I'm finally ready to put the Kohler 181 back together that came with the T-758es freebie tractor I aquired last spring. I should have had this done months ago but as per usual, I kept coming up with excuses why it wasn't getting done. Actually, I already got a good amount done at work (cleaning up the block, parts and inspecting the starter/gen inside and out, honing the cylinder and touching up the valves) but I knew I wasn't going to get much more done there with all of the distractions, sidewalk supervisors and back seat experts with their endless words of wisdom about how THEY would do it. Besides, I was getting tired of lugging tools and parts to work, so back home it came today. Besides - I want to have this done in time for the Zagray show in July, which shouldn't be any big deal but at the rate I was going, I'd probably be one of those guys who brought it to the show to finish working on it there. Hey - didn't I hear that somewhere before? 

There isn't all that much to these motors but the important thing is to put them back together exactly like it came apart - or bad STUFF is going to happen!

Anyway - I'm not going to do a cosmetic restoration on this one because it's just going to be sitting outside under a tarp anyway. I just want to get it back into good, reliable mechanical condition for yard work  and snowthrowing, if needed. It's not going to be pretty but it will at least be all original. Will try to take a few pics to pass along.

Big AL

• panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#63 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've just about got that 181 put all back together (except for mounting the starter/gen) and will probably be mounting it to the tractor sometime this week so I can get the wiring done and give it a test run and re-torque the head bolts after it cools down. I've never had much luck with those newer metal head gaskets so make my own out of stuff that resembles the old style head gasket material which has a wire mesh sandwiched between the surfaces. Never had a blown head gasket since I started using that stuff.

Has anybody seen that recent posting on the LAGT facebook site today?  A guy named Dusty Scott posted a cool photo of a garage or shed packed full of Panzer stuff!  Man - I'd like to have that guy show up with some of that stuff at Zagray in July. Anybody know anything about that?

AL

Edited by Panzerguy, June 09, 2014 - 03:47 PM.

• panzersarebest said thank you

#64 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:42 AM

Has anybody seen that recent posting on the LAGT facebook site today?  A guy named Dusty Scott posted a cool photo of a garage or shed packed full of Panzer stuff!  Man - I'd like to that guy show up with some of that stuff at Zagray in July. Anybody know anything about that?

AL

I didnt see the post but I have heard of Dusty Scott. He lives 2 or 3 hours away from me.

• Panzerguy said thank you

#65 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:50 PM

I didnt see the post but I have heard of Dusty Scott. He lives 2 or 3 hours away from me.

Ok - if that's true, that would be a long haul. I doubt he'd want to travel that far to get here - but ya never know :worshippy1:

#66 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I did see the post. He has quite the collection!

#67 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ok - if that's true, that would be a long haul. I doubt he'd want to travel that far to get here - but ya never know.

A buddy of mine knows Dusty and has bought a couple Panzers from him. Dusty is a member of the Panzer Yahoo group.

• Panzerguy said thank you

#68 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I thought I was going to have the Kohler 181 all back together and mounted on the Panzer this weekend but when I tried to put the last head bolt on, it seemed like it bottomed out before it came in contact with the washer. Took it out, tried another head bolt, same thing. Upon close examination, I found that the bolt hole (the one just above the right side of the exhaust port) was never tapped and drilled deep enough in the first place. The rest of the holes were drilled all the way through the cooling fins so didn't have this problem. That can't be done with the hole I'm referring to because it's right above the exhaust port. I looked through the old head bolts and washers I removed when I took the head off to see if I could find a difference in any of them and found that one washer had another one stuck to it. Apparently, they doubled up on the washers for that one hole at the factory to make up for the lack of depth. I probably could have ground one of the new bolts a little shorter but just stuck with using two washers instead.
I've rebuilt a few of these Kohler 161/181s but have never run into this problem before. Has anyone else?

Edited by Panzerguy, June 16, 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#69 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 196 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Sounds like cutting a bit of length off the bolt is a great solution. It was fine for the last 50 or so years right? ;)

#70 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like cutting a bit of length off the bolt is a great solution. It was fine for the last 50 or so years right? ;)

After I pulled all of the head hex bolts out, I checked to see if maybe one was shorter than the rest to make up for the lack of depth in that one bolt hole. They all looked the same so that's when I checked the head washers and found two stuck together. I decided to stick with using two washers for that one bolt but also ground down a spare bolt a little shorter in case the washers don't work out.

#71 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:03 PM

So now that I've got the mystery of the head bolts figured out, all I had to do was bolt on the flywheel, and finish up by installing the motor covers, the starter pulley w/grass screen and that's about it.

Not so fast. Some of these motors use a nut to hold the flywheel on and some use a 3/8, one inch long hex bolt. This one has the hex bolt. The Kohler manual says to torque the bolt to 250 in.lbs. I didn't even get half way there when I could feel the torque wrench starting to get easier to move - not a good sign. I backed the bolt back out and sure enough, the bolt hole threads in the end of the crank were starting to strip, probably because they were already damaged but I just didn't notice it when I took the motor apart. At this point, let me add that to say this whole tractor was a jerry-rigged mess when I got it would be an understatement, so why should this be any different. As far as I could see, I had no other choice than drill and tap the crank bolt hole to the next bigger size, which is 7/16. The tricky part was drilling out the hole for the new thread size with a DeWalt hand drill. As soon as the drill bit started to enter the hole, it grabbed and tried to turn my wrist into something that resembles a cruller doughnut. OUCH! I slowed the drill way down and just picked away at it until I felt the bit bottom out in the hole. Whew! The hard part was done. Re-tapping the hole to 7/16 went without incident (no broken taps, etc). Installed the new bolt and torqued to 225 in.lbs. (a little bit short of the recommended spec - just to be on the safe side). Everything looks fine - no cracked flywheel, no stripped threads. Now - just maybe, I can finish this thing up and get it mounted to the tractor, so I can fire it up, let it cool down and re-torque the head bolts before installing the starter/gen and getting into the job of wiring. Stay tuned.

Big AL
  • BowDown and panzersarebest have said thanks

#72 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'll be at the garden tractor pull and car show at the Bethany Fire Station (Rt 63, Bethany, CT) tomorrow
(Saturday) if anybody feels like stopping by. Unfortunately, I won't have the time to sign autographs so that will have to wait till the Zagray show - Ha Ha. This pull is where I found the freebie T-758 Panzer last year. Yeah - now I've got your attention!
  • panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#73 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:56 AM

DSCF2172.JPG DSCF2174.JPG DSCF2175.JPG DSCF2176.JPG DSCF2177.JPG DSCF2180.JPG DSCF2178.JPG Thought I was gonna have the Kohler running yesterday but it was not to be. Only a minor set-back this time due to lack of motor mounting hardware. Also, I found that somebody had mounted the rubber shock mounts upside-down and of the wrong side of the motor plate, causing it to bottom out on the frame plate below it. So, since I was in the delay mode anyway, I figured it would be a good time to clean up the frame which would be easier without the motor in the way. This turned out to be more of a project than I thought. What a stinking mess! There was grease and filth all over the place - even grease in places where it had no business being. It seemed like it took me most of the day just to clean stuff up so it would be ready for the motor. The are still a couple of minor details to take care of but it's pretty much ready for the motor (but then again, I thought that a couple weeks ago).  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2179.JPG

Edited by Panzerguy, June 23, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• Clint and panzersarebest have said thanks

#74 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 12:26 AM

I know those engine plates are hard to come by and sometimes missing.  But sometimes I wonder why Panzer stopped using rubber mountings in the later model of panzers... Was it because the newer briggs motors ran smoother.  My 1107 has (had) a solid mounted engine.

#75 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 12:02 PM

I found a part very similar to the original motor mount bushing/hardware. Best part i made them for about 4 bucks a piece. I am testing them on my t70 now. I just want to make sure it works before i post it