111 replies to this topic

#46 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 02:54 PM

I haven't been feeling good. Im better now. I had to make a new drop box for the db. but if you want to come by and pick up that puller.

#47 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 03:31 PM

Any of you guys going to Belltown?  I have never been so this might be something to do.  It is on Sunday the 27th, right?

#48 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:03 PM

Any of you guys going to Belltown?  I have never been so this might be something to do.  It is on Sunday the 27th, right?

I haven't been to that one but I've heard from several sources that it is not really a tractor show but a swap meet.
  • Savageman said thank you

#49 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:43 PM

How big is the Loyalsock show?  Do they get a lot of GTs or is it mostly big tractors?  It's only a couple hours from me but is on a bad weekend schedule-wise.

Also which Kinzers show do you attend?  They have multiple shows during the spring, summer, and fall.  I live close by but I'm sad to say I've never been to an event there.

We're lucky to have A LOT of really good shows in this area.  Steam-o-rama, Fawn Grove Olde Tyme Days, Menges Mills Historic Horse, Steam, & Gas Show, the Little Guys show, Twin Bridges, Penn's Cave, etc.  My favorite is Susquehanna Field Days in Bainbridge, PA, not so much for the GT turn out but for all the other stuff to see there.  The Dover show gets the most GTs but that's really the only thing to see there that interests me.  Plus the grounds are awful with the lack of shade.

The Loyalsock show is pretty good sized although not as big as Nittany. Then again, not many shows have 1,000 tractors show up. They have a LOT of tractors show up although, like Dover, most of them are there for the tractor pulls except for the featured tractor. There are usually a lot of garden tractors there, maybe as much as Dover but they are spread out throughout the grounds instead of grouped together. Also - the Gravely club had their annual mow-in there a couple years ago. Your wife would probably like the flea market. It's pretty big and has a lot of good quality stuff, along with the usual amount of crap/junk/treasure. The location is hands down the most scenic of any of the shows I've been to. It's set in a narrow valley completely surrounded by mountains. I love the place. I found out about it from a guy who lives there and read my 2009 Panzer article in LAGC and wanted info. We were looking for a new show to check out so decided to take a chance on it.
Kinzers - We go there for the Aug show (same weekend as Dover) and spend a couple days there before heading over to Dover. I was kinda surprized when you said you've never been there but then again, there are plenty of museums and attractions around here that we've never been too. I hear Kinzers is the best in the east if your into steam tractors, which I am. Oil Pull is doing their national meet there this Aug so there will be a lot of BIG tractors there.
I understand your thoughts about Dover. There are other shows we go to out this way that aren't much more than a big open field. That's why you bring your own shade. I don't watch too much of the tractor pulls there but I like the idea of having something like that going on at night to keep it lively.
Yeah - your area is a treasure trove of tractor shows!!!
Check your emails. I sent some info today.
AL
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#50 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:43 PM

On another note - my freebie T-758 came with the usual Kohler 181 which I'm in the middle of rebuilding. This one had the muffler mounted by two studs instead of hex bolts. Those darn things are rusted in there so tight, you'd think they were welded in. I've tried breaking them loose with a pair of vise grips but they won't budge so I started spraying them with penetrating oil and rapping them with a hammer once in a while to try to break that rust bond. Will try the vice grips again in a few days. If this doesn't work, I'll probably have to cut them off and drill and tap the holes again. I'd rather get this done before putting the engine back together. Any ideas?

#51 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Can you heat them up with a torch or some thing?

#52 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Can you heat them up with a torch or some thing?

I was thinking that too but I'm wondering if putting that much heat to the block might mess something up. It's pretty close to the top of the cylinder. I figured I'd try this approach first before I start heating things up.

#53 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Pb blaster & patience.

#54 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 01:48 AM

And something even better then PB Blaster is a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid.  If you have to use heat just concentrate on the bolt with an acetylene torch with a small tip and not one of those propane throw away kind.  You need quick heat.  This will crystalize the rust.  Let it set for a day to cool.  Try again.  This acetone mix is the best. 

Dave

Edited by Savageman, April 19, 2014 - 05:11 AM.

• KennyP, fxrs55 and Panzerguy have said thanks

#55 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 05:19 AM

I've had very good luck using the Acetone/ATF mix.

• fxrs55, Savageman and Panzerguy have said thanks

#56 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks guys. If the stuff I'm using now doesn't work out, I'll try the acetone/ATF method. Never heard of that one.  The stuff I'm using now smells like coconut. Haven't tried tasting it - yet. :beer:  

#57 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Finally got those exhaust studs out yesterday, without heat. The stuff I used is called TERAND Penetrant Lubricant. Got it at work so am not sure if you can but it over the counter or not. If I have to go through this again, I'm gonna try the ATF method to see if it works any better.
  • Clint, panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#58 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 10:16 AM

You can buy it over the counter but it is expensive. Can't get it any cheaper then the way you got it and it worked. I wonder how it rates with the following torque loads.

Average torque load to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds (mineral
oil in a solvent carrier, often acetone or mineral spirits)

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds (mineral
oil in a solvent carrier, often acetone or mineral spirits)

ATF - Acetone mix............53 pounds (ATF (automatic transmission fluid) -
predominantly mineral oil

Dave

#59 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Looks like the ATF/ Acetone mix is the easy winner here. I'm not sure how the stuff I used would have measured up. Maybe some of these others would have worked just as well or better. I tried WD40 first for about a week and couldn't get the studs to budge till I tried this new stuff we got at work a little while ago. Maybe it was a combination of the two? Anyway - needless to say, I was happy to get them out. I thought I was going to have to cut them off then drill and tap the holes again, which I wasn't looking forward to.

No I haven't tasted it to see if it tastes like coconut :beer:

#60 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 23, 2014 - 07:31 PM

On another topic; sometimes I'll scroll through the list of topics on this Panzer forum and wonder - "Gee, whatever happened to all of these people who posted these messages? Have they lost interest, found other things to do or are up their eyeballs in tractor projects and just too busy to get on here as much as they used to? Maybe all of the above. I'll probably be slowing down on this a bit myself once show season gets under way out here in the northeast. There are just so many hours in a day.