• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'm still bugged by which Panzer grill was used first - the one with the PANZER decal down the center or the one with PENNSYLVANIA PANZER cast in. I was sure I had this figured out a long time ago with the one with the decal being the first but now I'm not so sure. My belief was that the one with the decal came first during the transitional period when Panzer and Penn Lawnmower joined forces. I could have sworn I read this somewhere but can't find it.

#32 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Kinzers R&T Show-130.JPG Kinzers R&T Show-128.JPG Here's a pic of that cart I saw at Kinzers a couple summers ago.

#33 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:14 AM

The corners don't look right , The ones I saw had a square tubing in the corners.

#34 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:37 AM

The corners don't look right , The ones I saw had a square tubing in the corners.

Yeah, you're right. That's what puzzles me about this one. Also, the drawbar was usually round instead of square. I'm wondering if Panzer went to another supplier for some of these or maybe this cart came with another tractor and somebody just painted it over a long time ago to match the Panzer.

#35 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:41 AM

On another topic - why is it that sometimes you can add the emoticons (smiley faces) and other times that whole toolbar is grayed out?
  • Savageman said thank you

#36 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 08:19 AM

My belief was that the one with the decal came first during the transitional period when Panzer and Penn Lawnmower joined forces.

From what I understand, Virginia Metalcrafters already owned Panzer when they purchased the Pennsylvania mowers lineup so with two well established brands, you'd think they would want to proudly promote both.??

I had asked Jim Haynes about this a few years ago.  My memory is pretty bad but I thought he said the decal grill was the later production T-75.  If you think about it, they were moving toward decals with the Meteor grill overlapping T-75 production and then the 1107/1110 Panzer grill was also a decal.  I know you can't trust sales literature to be production accurate, but the two '67 sales brochures that feature the last year of T-75 production both show just "Pennsylvania" cast into the grill with no "Panzer" at all.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out though.  We have members with both styles of T-75 grills.  Post your serial numbers.

As far as the carts go.  For some reason I though they were produced by Jackson Manufacturing but maybe they did have different suppliers during the years.   Again, I know they sometimes used old photos in advertising, but the '67 and '68 brochures show the cart having square vertical tubing, as mentioned, on the corners unlike the one pictured.

#37 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 08:43 AM

Ok Jim - I give up. What the heck is a canawler and what's with the picture of a cat that got mashed by a collapsed TV dinner tray? :angel:

My wife and I were doing a lot of bike riding on rail and canal trails which piqued my interest in the towpath canal era.  We had quite a few canals in this area.  Long story short, I did a lot of exploring and reading about canals and got to the point where I was knowledgeable enough to give some local presentations.  Canawler was a name given to those who worked on canal boats.  It was one of those names that was originally intended to be derogatory but eventuall became a point of pride to most it was applied to.  I used it on my first forum and it stuck.

The avatar is just one of our cats, Oscar, under a storage box.  When he was a kitten, he ran right under it but as he grew in size, he didn't grow much in mental power.  For a while there he would try to run under it and bonk his head every time.  At 18lbs, he doesn't come close to fitting anymore.  I always thought the picture was funny.  It kind of reminds me of the witch under the house in the Wizard of Oz.

Here's another angle:

cat (173).JPG

On another topic - why is it that sometimes you can add the emoticons (smiley faces) and other times that whole toolbar is grayed out?

You have to click on the little smiley icon above the text area to get the emoticon bar at the bottom.  Also, if you're on a mobile device the smilies don't work at all.

• KennyP, jpackard56, panzersarebest and 1 other said thanks

#38 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 11:27 AM

My wife and I were doing a lot of bike riding on rail and canal trails which piqued my interest in the towpath canal era.  We had quite a few canals in this area.  Long story short, I did a lot of exploring and reading about canals and got to the point where I was knowledgeable enough to give some local presentations.  Canawler was a name given to those who worked on canal boats.  It was one of those names that was originally intended to be derogatory but eventuall became a point of pride to most it was applied to.  I used it on my first forum and it stuck.

The avatar is just one of our cats, Oscar, under a storage box.  When he was a kitten, he ran right under it but as he grew in size, he didn't grow much in mental power.  For a while there he would try to run under it and bonk his head every time.  At 18lbs, he doesn't come close to fitting anymore.  I always thought the picture was funny.  It kind of reminds me of the witch under the house in the Wizard of Oz.
Here's another angle:

attachicon.gifcat (173).JPG

You have to click on the little smiley icon above the text area to get the emoticon bar at the bottom.  Also, if you're on a mobile device the smilies don't work at all.

Ok - that makes sense about the canals now and thanks for the new pic of the cat. I also like cats although I don't have one any more.
You're in luck - a rail/trail goes right through the Zagray property. It's a branch of what used to be called the Airline RR (called that because it was said to be the shortest route between two points). The branch links with the main trail which is quite extensive. There is a web site for it.
On the emoticons - I tried that. sometimes it works and sometimes the whole toolbar is grayed out.

Edited by Panzerguy, March 26, 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#39 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Jim;
I'm starting to lean toward what you're saying about the grills. It makes sense. Yeah - I think there were some of those later ones that didn't even have the PANZER decal down the center. You can usually tell which ones that did have a decal at one time or another because of the difference in the paint (or lack of it) around the area where the decal was.
On another subject - there's been talk about the serial numbers on the tags of certain tractor models. Although it might be fun just to start a list of who has what serial number, there might not be too much useful information in it. Some of these serial numbers are all over the place as far as sequence goes. Jim Haynes and I were discussing this a while back and came to the conclusion that they pretty much just used whatever tag/sticker was handy and weren't too concerned about staying in any proper sequence. As I mentioned to Chris earlier, I've seen T-70s with both the white and red foil S/N stickers on them. Again - whatever was handy. Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by Panzerguy, March 27, 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#40 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:57 PM

So anyway - I was hoping to have my freebie T-758 up and running by the 1st of May but I'm starting to have my doubts. I've got the motor (Kohler 181) cleaned up and the cylinder honed but I still don't think I'll have it done by then. It's not like it's a big project but I'm a procrastinator. I want to have it done for the July Zagray show though. Maybe I'll see if I can get the rings and crank seals this weekend to stay motivated. The brakes seemed kinda screwy but I think I've got them working pretty good without popping the brake drums off. I might do that later anyway, just to see what kind of condition the parts are in.
Hey - here's a good subject for this thread: What shows are you looking forward to the
most this year?
For me, besides the July Zagray, they would probably be the Loyalsock, Kinzers and Dover PA shows.
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#41 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:47 PM

You can use my puller to pull the drums. Bring that engine over here ill get it done.

#42 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I never really went to any garden tractor shows, but I probally will go to this one because its close. http://www.vintagega...ractorshow.com/

#43 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:44 AM

For me, besides the July Zagray, they would probably be the Loyalsock, Kinzers and Dover PA shows.

How big is the Loyalsock show?  Do they get a lot of GTs or is it mostly big tractors?  It's only a couple hours from me but is on a bad weekend schedule-wise.

Also which Kinzers show do you attend?  They have multiple shows during the spring, summer, and fall.  I live close by but I'm sad to say I've never been to an event there.

We're lucky to have A LOT of really good shows in this area.  Steam-o-rama, Fawn Grove Olde Tyme Days, Menges Mills Historic Horse, Steam, & Gas Show, the Little Guys show, Twin Bridges, Penn's Cave, etc.  My favorite is Susquehanna Field Days in Bainbridge, PA, not so much for the GT turn out but for all the other stuff to see there.  The Dover show gets the most GTs but that's really the only thing to see there that interests me.  Plus the grounds are awful with the lack of shade.

Edited by Canawler, April 16, 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#44 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I never really went to any garden tractor shows, but I probally will go to this one because its close. http://www.vintagega...ractorshow.com/

Lucky you! I'd go to that myself if it wasn't so far away. Looks like a good one. You'de better get over there or you'll be wishing you did.
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#45 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 11:07 AM

You can use my puller to pull the drums. Bring that engine over here ill get it done.

Don't you have enough projects to do? Just get that DB done and don't be worrying about mine :-)
Where you been hiding?