• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:53 AM

I remember talking to Walt at the Little Guys Show but we didn't get into what you're mentioning here. It was mostly about other shows that take place in that area. I also remember the guy who was selling what was supposed to be the last of the original PTOC merchandise. He had a pile of original Panzer brochures for about 50 cents each. PTOC stopped having gatherings several years ago and has become just a web site, taken care of by Bill Janitor.

AL
  • Chris11 and panzersarebest have said thanks

#2 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:25 AM

So there is no more Panzer Club? I would have joined. I cant imagined Guys getting those rear axles out of junk yards. Going back to the factory and cut them up, weld back together. It mush have been very busy place. and all done by Hand.

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,497 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Those 8 3/4" Chrysler rears were plentiful in the day. My little 6 h.p. Panzer was probably the toughest tractor I ever owned, didn't really know what I had back in the 80's when I bought it.

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:26 AM

I also remember the guy who was selling what was supposed to be the last of the original PTOC merchandise. He had a pile of original Panzer brochures for about 50 cents each.
AL

I obviously missed the brochures or you would never have had the chance to see them on the table. :smilewink:

That table was Ed Helman.  I can't remember the name of his son that was manning it though.  They're from the Chambersburg, PA area and have the biggest collection of Panzers I've heard of.  A couple of years ago, there were over 50 Panzers at the Twin Bridges show outside of Chambersburg and almost all were owned by the Helmans.  Pretty much every model of tractor and mower plus trailers full of attachments.  Even small pedal tractor versions.  I can't even imagine the logistics of getting that much stuff to a show to display.  I talked to him for some information before buying my Meteor and he was quite helpful.

I cant imagined Guys getting those rear axles out of junk yards. Going back to the factory and cut them up, weld back together.

Yeah, I almost called BS when I first read that they narrowed junkyard rears.  I can't imagine they could have had a consist enough supply to support actual factory production runs.  We're not talking 3 or 4 a week like they're coming from a fab shop.  The amount of work involved in narrowing an axle assembly correctly would have been cost prohibitive.  At their volume, I would think it would almost have been cheaper to get them straight from Chysler with the correct dimensions.  I still find it hard to believe, actually.

Also, if they were getting the rears from junkyards, I wonder if any of the newer one piece axles ever snuck into late Meteor and Panzer production?  Chrysler got rid of the keyed, pressed hub setup in the early sixties.  It's not a stretch to think that some of the newer setup made it into junkyards by '68 or '69.

Edited by Canawler, March 20, 2014 - 10:27 AM.

• Gtractor and Chris11 have said thanks

#5 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:17 AM

I obviously missed the brochures or you would never have had the chance to see them on the table. :smilewink:
That table was Ed Helman.  I can't remember the name of his son that was manning it though.  They're from the Chambersburg, PA area and have the biggest collection of Panzers I've heard of.  A couple of years ago, there were over 50 Panzers at the Twin Bridges show outside of Chambersburg and almost all were owned by the Helmans.  Pretty much every model of tractor and mower plus trailers full of attachments.  Even small pedal tractor versions.  I can't even imagine the logistics of getting that much stuff to a show to display.  I talked to him for some information before buying my Meteor and he was quite helpful.

Yeah, I almost called BS when I first read that they narrowed junkyard rears.  I can't imagine they could have had a consist enough supply to support actual factory production runs.  We're not talking 3 or 4 a week like they're coming from a fab shop.  The amount of work involved in narrowing an axle assembly correctly would have been cost prohibitive.  At their volume, I would think it would almost have been cheaper to get them straight from Chysler with the correct dimensions.  I still find it hard to believe, actually.
Also, if they were getting the rears from junkyards, I wonder if any of the newer one piece axles ever snuck into late Meteor and Panzer production?  Chrysler got rid of the keyed, pressed hub setup in the early sixties.  It's not a stretch to think that some of the newer setup made it into junkyards by '68 or '69.

The hardest part of that job was trying to get those rears out of those old cars in the summer months while those yellow jackets were trying to fly up your shorts :-(

Edited by Panzerguy, March 20, 2014 - 11:20 AM.

• panzersarebest and Savageman have said thanks

#6 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Remember that these rear ends were circa 1952/54 or so and were bought complete mostly from the East Coast. Sometimes they had to buy the whole car take the rear and leave the rest. They were brought back to the factory for modifications but not rebuilding. So when you bought a new Panzer you got it with a used rear end and you never knew it. Pennsylvania Lawn Products gave you a iron clad lifetime guarantee. If you broke it they would give you another used one for free. If this info needs upgrading please feel free to do so. I am always learning.

Dave

Edited by Savageman, March 21, 2014 - 04:10 AM.

• stiemmy, Panzerguy and toppop52 have said thanks

#7 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,305 Thanks
  • 1,105 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 05:53 PM

In the "manual" posted in the manual section, the manual states the rearend came with a 5 year warranty.
  • Savageman said thank you

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:26 PM

BEAST OF A TRACTOR

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Love the brake set up. So simple. Pads still look new after 50 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-02-23_13-04-33_772.jpg

• Titus said thank you

#10 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:14 PM

The hardest part of that job was trying to get those rears out of those old cars in the summer months while those yellow jackets were trying to fly up your shorts :-(

Forgot to mention the poison Ivy but it pretty much goes without saying. Having that stuff spread where you don't want it can be a real pain - if you know what I mean.
Yep - old junk yards, poison ivy and yellow jackets just natually go together.

#11 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yeah Jim - I remember Helman (the older one). I wasn't quite sure I was thinking of the same guy till you mentioned the Panzer pedal tractors. He was also a member of PTOC back when I was in it. Last time I saw him was at the show up in Orange, Mass a few years ago. Anybody know if he has an email address? It'd be nice if I could talk him into showing up at the Zagray show.
AL

Edited by Panzerguy, March 20, 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Anybody know if he has an email address?
AL

I have a business card and there is no email address but I do have a phone number.  Shoot me an email or PM if interested.

I have contact info for another Panzer and Pennsylvania mower collector with a sizeable collection that I met at one of the Penn's Cave shows.  You might be able to convince him as well.

Edited by Canawler, March 20, 2014 - 08:50 PM.

• Panzerguy said thank you

#13 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:58 PM

I have a business card and there is no email address but I do have a phone number.  Shoot me an email or PM if interested.

I have contact info for another Panzer and Pennsylvania mower collector with a sizeable collection that I met at one of the Penn's Cave shows.  You might be able to convince him as well.

See if you can forward to them the flyers I posted earlier.

Edited by Panzerguy, March 20, 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#14 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,497 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Remember that these rear ends were circa 1952/54 or so...

The rear in mine was date coded 1960.

• Savageman said thank you

#15 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Chris;
Refering to the Panzer Dump carts: I have one of those original instruction sheets with the exploded parts view and parts list but there aren't any dimensions. Last time I was up at Jim Haynes place, he had at least one cart but that was a few years ago. I also saw another one at the Kinzers show a couple years ago but the construction was a little different. I'm wondering if the carts that were available for the Meteor type tractors were different. The problem with the carts is that if you can even find one, they're usually not in very good condition because I think unlike the tractors, most people didn't bother bringing them inside after they were done using them. I've seen another one near Norwich, CT that was for sale with T-70 and snowthrower and the cart was so rusted that I couldn't find ANY original paint left on it. Don't bother asking me where it was - that was about ten years ago.
Anyway - this is the kind of stuff I'd like to see show up at the Zagray show so people can take pics and get measurements.
  • Chris11, Savageman and robert2001 have said thanks