• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 musicman100 OFFLINE  

musicman100
  • Member No: 54707
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Good mornin' all, Recently I have the urge to buy a Simplicity lawn/garden tractor. The better ones are over my price range so I started looking used. They seem to be rare in my part of the country, but I found a nice looking one (according to the picture) on craigs list within 2 hours or so of home. After studying on the web (he didn't know) it looks to be a late 80's Sunstar 20, very nice looking and from what I see super sturdy. I can afford the price ($1000) and it looks to do anything I may need. However I have 2 questions, what problems do I look for on this model and as I said older Simplicitys are rare here (Virginia) so how far away do you think I would have to go or have shipped used accessories? Think snowblower and such. And are they available?

Thanks for any help, John

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,471 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:10 AM

The accessories pop up from time to time, but are not plentiful anywhere. You're dealing with older tractors that were never sold in huge numbers. Having said that, I love them! I looked at one near Richmond last year.

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Welcome aboard gt talk I own old simplicitys but im sure someone will be along shortly to help

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:37 AM

I don't know about the accessory availability, but these tractors are built like a tank!  The hydro & differential is identical to that in the John Deere 430 20hp diesels.  2 speed final, locking differential, and the deck is shaft drive.  Great Kohler Magnum engines as well.  One thing to watch for in the engine is the screws holding the air filter housing to the carb.  They (as in many engines) can vibe loose & get sucked into the engine, damaging valves/seats, and more if they make it past a valve.  Best to blue Loctite them in.

• MH81, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Welcome to GTT. Before spending that kind of money, you need to do abit of research. Find out what was popular in your area, figure out what you want to do with the tractor, and evaluate your abilities to do repairs. If you have to pay someone to repair your old GT it will get very expensive.

Look through our photo galleries and see what others have. If you come across something you like, go to the Manuals Section and download the sales brouchure and owners manual to learn more about it.

Watch for deals in your area on Craigs List, Supermarket bulletin boards, Freecycle(the best), along the side of the road, and talking to friends. If you have limited mechanical ability, a freebie is a great project to learn on. When you have questions, we are here to help but, give us the GT identity information and pics.

If you don't feel like repairing an older one, try contacting our site sponsors that are near you. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 20, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

• petrj6 said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:06 AM

The Sunstar is a very good Gt. Simplicity built The Allis Chalmers Gt's so once you have done some research  to find the counterpart model to your Simplicity you may find it easier to find implements and accessories. Some models were the same with different #s for Ac & Simplicity.  It's a far piece from Iowa to Virginia, but there is a dealer in Oskaloosa, Ia. Mc Kims's Tractor Service that has more(running and parts machines) Allis Chalmers and Simplicity Garden Tractors than I have seen in a lifetime.

I have been partial to Allis Chalmers since I was a kid riding the fender of a C while my uncle cultivated his corn.

I stumbled onto Mc Kim when they had a Satoh Elk(was looking for a compact at the time) listed in one of those trader papers they give out at stations and Truck stops. Was in Oskaloosa for an Aunts funeral so went by there and saw a lot of models I never knew existed, http://www.agcocorpd...m/MCKIMTRACTOR/

BTW, Welcome to the best Gt Forum on the Net!!

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 20, 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:34 AM

WELCOME!

#8 musicman100 OFFLINE  

musicman100
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Being a retired machinist/mechanic I have no trouble working on older equipment, but don't want to all the time, if you know what I mean. Cubs seem to be the "biggest" around here, but for some reason I really like the Simplicity. Anyway I will do something. Using a later model inexpensive Cub now to mow with but do not like the plastics, sloppy steering, etc. Have an early 50's model Ferguson to do the heaviest work but it will wear you out if there is a lot to do. Like pushing snow. Just hard to handle.

May go look at the Simplicity tomorrow.

Anyway thanks, John

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the forum.

As a potential note of caution, around here at least, a nice Sunstar would be selling for much more than that price.  One at that price point would be pretty rough or need a lot of work.  Be sure to really check it over thoroughly.  I don't know specific trouble spots for them but I'm sure someone will be along with things to look for.

Edited by Canawler, March 20, 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Welcome to the forum John. Good luck on your hunt for a Simplicity tractor.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Welcome to GTtalk John.  Let us know what you find and how it all turns out. 

#12 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:53 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Im in Blacksburg,VA.I have had Sunstars for several years..

#14 musicman100 OFFLINE  

musicman100
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Now I'm not sure about this. Just checked the craigs list and his post has been changed. At first he said he had 3 tractors and didn't need this one any more but needed the money. Now it seems to have belonged to a church and they pay someone to mow and are getting rid of it. A little leery of this. Also he added it has almost 2000 hrs. That wasn't there before.

#15 musicman100 OFFLINE  

musicman100
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Killer ac, I am in Vinton