Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

12 Hp Military Surplus Side Driven Engine - $175 (Rhinebeck)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:15 PM

More like 7 hp,

http://hudsonvalley....4369566340.html

Attached Thumbnails

• milspec.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I like the theory on waterproof ignition.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,752 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hmmm that looks vaguely familiar. :watch_over_fence: . I think mine are a little smaller that that one.

• trowel said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 05:09 AM

Nice looking engine. I see a fair number of those military engines coming up for sale lately.

• trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Nice looking engine. I see a fair number of those military engines coming up for sale lately.

Parts are drying up, overstock surplus being sold off, and worst of all these have the cork float that swells up from the ethanol in gas and floods out the carb.

I have spent the past 3 years trying to find the brass float for these carbs.

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 469 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Could a brass float be fabricated?

• trowel said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 04:52 PM

Could a brass float be fabricated?

The guys over at Steel Soldiers tried soldering the brass float hinge onto a Oregon Float for Tech. carbs and it failed several times.

The real early Mil spec carbs in 58 and 59 had the plastic float, everyone that has one will not let it go, my oldest is 1960 with the first of the cork floats, every year i coat the float in nail polish, works for a while until the polish comes off and clogs the carb.

The carb is a modified version of a small engine carb, that much i am willing to say, only a few of us knows which kind, just need to narrow it down to which type, was given a hint and has spent the past 5 years looking until this spring i came a step closer.

#8 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,832 Thanks
  • 1,764 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:41 PM

The guys over at Steel Soldiers tried soldering the brass float hinge onto a Oregon Float for Tech. carbs and it failed several times.

The real early Mil spec carbs in 58 and 59 had the plastic float, everyone that has one will not let it go, my oldest is 1960 with the first of the cork floats, every year i coat the float in nail polish, works for a while until the polish comes off and clogs the carb.

The carb is a modified version of a small engine carb, that much i am willing to say, only a few of us knows which kind, just need to narrow it down to which type, was given a hint and has spent the past 5 years looking until this spring i came a step closer.

Have you considered powder coating the cork float.  Not sure it would how the cork would react to the powder coating but should be more resistant to gasoline.  Just an idea.

• trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:48 PM

That question has come up several time in the past few years, i have yet to do this but many has been successful with lightly coating the float with ethanol resistant fuel tank liner but weight is a critical factor with the cork floats in those very finiky carbs, too heavy a coat and the float hardly ''floats'' flooding out the carb.

Lawn Boy is another engine who uses cork and foam floats that need coating, many a Lawn boy ended up in the scrapper due to the float problem, the same happens with the military standard engines.

Edited by trowel, March 20, 2014 - 08:50 PM.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have addopted the method of running the carb dry of gas, good for all engine regardless of the make but i noted that after several hours of run time the cork floats eventually absorb and expand, the fuel has to be shut off, carb bowl drained and float allowed to dry or removal of the float alltogether and swapped with a back-up dry one for a few more hours of run time and vice versa.

#11 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 728 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:18 AM

I'm surprised that you haven't been able to find someone that can duplicate the float out of a more suitable material. Seems like having a plastic float made up wouldn't be too difficult, you'd probably have quite a market if you started producing them...
  • trowel said thank you

#12 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 728 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I'm not sure if the materials used in the process could hold up to gas/ethanol but perhaps a company with a 3D printer could duplicate the cork floats without having to set up a large production run to be feasible?

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would not be so surprised, there are people years before me who have more money and time then me who have struggled with this problem since the introduction of ethanol in gas and before, i am just on the sidelines.

These engine apparently have always had carb problems, i took car of that by modifying a Carter N carb to fit but it leaves the gov assy exposed.

Edited by trowel, March 21, 2014 - 08:31 AM.