So the honeymoon is ending much sooner than I had hoped... The PO and I had talked for a while before I left with the tractor, and he told me that basically this project was something he was doing in his spare time, but he needed money so he quickly put it all together to sell it. We discussed how there were a good number of "tweaks" that it would need, but we have some serious issues at play here.
What really ended the honeymoon quick was putting out an electrical fire that nearly turned into a fuel fire. The non-insulated portion of the choke cable was routed directly over the terminals for the starter/generator. Nothing major, the only thing that actually seems to have burned was some of the insulation on the choke cable.
Where the carb was leaking out, the paint on the engine and some of the white frame bits have come off. The engine seems to be running very hot- likely due to this carb problem, maybe due to timing. The flooding issue is not helping me diagnose anything here...so the carb has to come off to figure out why the float is stuck. At least I'm hoping it's just stuck, or something got into the seat... rather than the float being full of fuel...
I honestly hate working on carbs, I hate gasoline in general. I'm a diesel guy at heart. Seems a shame to pull this matching paint engine out to put something else in, but based on Tahoe's comment - I question if this is even the original engine.
Spending so much time underneath the tractor and under the hood, I'm really impressed at the lengths he went to during painting - the whole tractor is painted top and bottom. But most of the white, or at least the hood, looks like a brush job. Maybe he brushed some on to cover up some nicks in the paint from pulling the hood up while the loader was lifted up too high. In the fenders and on some parts of the frame, there's some bubbles and orange peel, so it's not a super top-notch paint job, but it still looks nice. Despite little glitches, it still looks good, and generally the adhesion seems that it's good enough it ought to wear well.
I lubed all the lube points, he stated that he had not. Steering is less stiff now, but the bell crank plate that connects the drag link and tie rods together is *very* tight still. Nothing like the silky smooth turning of my SS18.
The brake wasn't working because it wasn't connected (remember, I highlighted project and quickly above) It probably was connected when I test drove it, but probably bounced out while on the way home, since there was no cotter pin in the link. The idler pulley is really noisy, I didn't think to check the tensioner pulley, but I did move the idler down a bit (it was all the way at the top) and I was trying to get the thing to run so I could test to see if it would bite and not drag the brake.
Also, another thing he told me is that the seat isn't original (duh), but he didn't tell me he left nearly 2" of seat bolt hanging out the bottom, so it's digging into the oil tank for the hydraulic system.
This would have been a perfect trailer queen/show machine with a little extra work, but not something whose overall perfect looks would have stood up for very long with much actual work going on. I didn't buy it because it was a looker, I bought it because it was a complete tractor/loader combo that ran and worked. It just didn't run or work for very long. :)
It will again, soon... I really need to move this dirt, and get more once this pile is gone. And more once that pile is gone... ad infinitum...