Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

It Followed Me Home From The Country, Can I Keep It?!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Nice rig you found yourself there.

Thanks for the pictures.

:iagree: :ditto:  Someday I'd like like to get something like that. Good Stuff :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• TX_Dj said thank you

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 06:59 PM

I want one too!  What part of the country do these run wild and follow you home? 

Sounds like you need a new ignition switch.  You have a bad connection to the coil at start, and it sticks going to off.  I'd say its time for a new one.

Ben W.

• TX_Dj said thank you

#18 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:16 PM

YEA MAN NICE RIDE
  • TX_Dj said thank you

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Very nice nice rig. Don't feel bad about buying something you really want. It's that special feeling inside that allow's us to let go of a little more money to get what we want. When you get a chance give us a few more pics of the front with the loader raised & the rear showing the hitch. Just don't blow the hoses doing it we can wait a little while. :D  Congrats!

• Gabriel and TX_Dj have said thanks

#20 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Great someone else for me to ad to the list of people I hate.
:mad2:

Beautiful tractor. Nice find.

• TX_Dj said thank you

#21 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,654 Thanks
  • 1,738 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:29 PM

YEP!!!  I'M JEALOUS AGAIN..      Nice outfit.   Rick

• TX_Dj said thank you

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Oooooh that's sweeet! Congratulations.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Trav1s and TX_Dj have said thanks

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Awesome find! 

• TX_Dj said thank you

#24 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Great Find!!  Before you know it, you will forget what you even paid for it because of how useful it is.  Enjoy the seat time and thanks for the pics.

No doubt.  I have so much dirt to move in here to level and grade to keep from having a hundred tiny swimming pools every time it rains.  It's gonna get a workout, for sure!

Nice. You might as well do all the hoses, cylinders, oil and hydraulic filter at the same time. I got all mine from Burdens Surplus last summer. It was much cheaper than buying local. Good Luck, Rick

The oil, at least, was all changed as part of his reassembly process, but he didn't bother rebuilding the hoses, cylinders or valves- it didn't come with a filter, but it should have one.

That will come in handy, nice find! Do you happen to know what paint was used on it?

It is an automotive paint, he said that the closest match was actually a suzuki color code.  I'm not a paint guy, and he seemed to know what he was talking about, so when he started talking about something-something-epoxy primer under the paint, my eyes kinda glazed over.

Took it out, moved some dirt... getting used to how to handle the thing is a bit of a learning curve, because my dirt pile has become wet and compacted after sitting out there through several rain storms.  Before the loader, I had been taking a pickaxe to it to break it up before shoveling it into my dump trailer, and that worked fairly well for getting started using the loader.  After I started getting the hang of the loader, I was able to roll up the pile a bit, dive the downward-facing bucket into the dirt, and then reverse while applying down pressure to accomplish the same thing, then get a nearly full bucket each pass.

The lack of weight on the back in the current configuration is a bit unnerving, and a bit wonky on traction.

The slipping clutch isn't making matters any better either.

I asked him before buying it how well the brake worked, and it seemed to work OK in the brief drive that I had done before paying the man... but once you get going with it, you realize there are no brakes.  I'm hopeful it's just a misadjusted band, but he said he didn't change the band when he reassembled things, but did say the lining looked ok.  I suspect when he said the brakes worked great, he probably tested them before reassembly.

He had lost the lower left bucket pin between disassembly and reassembly, and replaced it with a bolt, which is working OK for the time being.  On the other hand, unbeknownst to me, the pins he had on the lower links of the leveler system didn't have hairpins in them, and one popped out, nowhere to be found... so I called it a night.  The other pin is still there, but there's not enough clearance to wedge a hairpin into it.

I'll pull it and go find one a little longer, and then buy two.

Now on to a more significant issue...  He had mentioned he rigged up a muffler because he couldn't find one that fit directly, but it just won't stay put.  It's also sooting up the paint where its outlet is.  It doesn't smell like it's running rich, but as soon as you shut it off, it starts flooding like the needle is wedged open.  He had mentioned this engine had a fuel pump on the carb, but he couldn't find the kit to rebuild it, so he simply went for gravity feed and said it worked fine.  There's still(?) a fuel petcock on the inlet, but closing it doesn't actually seem to do anything.  The only way I've found to keep it from flooding the garage with fuel at the moment is to use the loader to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground.

Also, and unfortunate observation - the hood scrapes the top of the grille frame when opening and closing, so the white paint (which he simply called "industrial white paint", but it has the same epoxy primer underneath) has scraped off with me trying to diagnose the fuel issue, and putting the muffler back on a couple times.  Likewise, the loader cross beam at the front of the tractor makes contact with the hood when the hood is open, and it already had some scuffs on both that beam and the hood when I got it, and there's no sign that's going to improve.

But, I moved a fair amount of dirt with it until that leveler arm pin came out, and had a heck of a lot of fun doing it.  The road in front of my house is a popular "bypass the traffic during rush hour" bit of 2 lane country blacktop... and a lot of people were staring at me as they drove by.  Kinda neat. :)

• MH81, Sawdust and allisb10page have said thanks

#25 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I went through some similar issues after buying my cub cadet 147 with a Johnson loader on it. You will get the issues figured out and really enjoy it. Just pinch off your fuel line with a pair of small vise grips for now. Put a rag over the fuel line so the teeth on the vice grips don't bite the line. You need about 350 pounds on the back for counterweight for the machine to feel stable and function properly. You won't believe the difference. A pair of 23x10.50-12 ag tires also help a lot. The brake band is adjustable,but just make sure the lining is good and there is no oil on the brake hub.

Edited by classic, March 19, 2014 - 08:29 PM.

• trowel, boyscout862 and TX_Dj have said thanks

#26 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:29 PM

It's fun to see people staring at you on the driveway. I wonder some times how they don't get in a accident. Great that your having fun. Noel
  • trowel, boyscout862 and TX_Dj have said thanks

#27 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:16 PM

Nice GT! Have fun!
  • TX_Dj said thank you

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Sure is pretty! 

I would love to see how the coil conversion was done, that should have originally came with the SSI module. 

• TX_Dj said thank you

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Beautiful rig. Sounds like a rebuild kit for the carb is also in order ( dont forget to replace the float)
  • TX_Dj said thank you

#30 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Sure is pretty! 

I would love to see how the coil conversion was done, that should have originally came with the SSI module. 

Hmm, that seems odd... since it has breaker points. :)

It's a B&S, Cast iron, but I don't know what model, any labels are long gone. The old spark plug wire from the magneto is still hanging out of the fan shroud.  The coil is wired up as one would expect for points/condenser ignition.  I've never been much of a B&S guy, all I've ever really done on B&S engines is clean/gap plugs, change the oil, pull the rope and go. :)