daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 12:18 PM

With the GT's, I'm learning small engine mechanics.  The sense of accomplishment when you fix it yourself is nice.  I'm not good at many of the skills, but I'll try.  Usually it's good enough.  I do agree that one needs to know his limitations.  I hire out what I cannot do.  

As Willie said, don't spend it.  I collect lot's of things.  I was spending way too much.  Now when I look at something on ebay, I make myself wait a few days.  I usually don't want it anymore.  My collections aren't growing as fast, but I spend more time appreciating what I do have and spend less money.

Edited by daytime dave, March 21, 2014 - 12:20 PM.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Best way I've learned to save $$$ is to keep it away from the wife!! :smilewink:

• Alc, js5020, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#18 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Paying someone else to do a job that you can do is not always the most cost effective solution.I had a boss who took time off work to do his own excavating for his house that was going to be built as he did not want to pay someone else to do it.He was probably loosing $100 per hour so he did not have to pay someone $65 per hour to do the job.They actually had to come in a fix a few mistakes.

Whenever you do a job it takes time away from something else you could be doing and you need to decide were that time is best spent.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I've done most things around the property myself; electrical, plumbing, carpentry, roofing, etc., mostly learned when I couldn't afford to pay anybody else to do it!  Trouble is, old age is setting in, too many sore joints & no business doing much ladder work anymore, especially no business on a roof anymore!  ~~  Lowell 

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 457 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I have learned the best way to save money is NOT to surf E-bay while sipping Crown Royal!  :D

• Alc, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I do all I can possibly do by myself, but that's because I have to financially.  Except for diesel injector pump rebuilds, I do all tractor/vehicle repairs, all my own electrical, plumbing, building, welding/fabricating...on & on.  But I will say, if I had the money, I might hire out some things.  Roofing, or anything steep or off the ground can cause me to get woozy-headed, so likely in the future I may have to hire much of that done.  No control over when it makes me dizzy, so I have to avoid it. 

• twostep said thank you

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Since home remodeling & custom carpentry is my livelyhood that would be a money saver too at home. Car repairs would be another. I have always done my own, trial & error sometimes but mission accomplished. Being self employed for over thirty years has taught my wife & I a lot. A major job loss back in the early eighties we found out a lot of things we can do without. Delayed gratification, waiting until we can pay without financing is a big money saver for us.
  • oldedeeres said thank you