#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Setting here looking around the house at all of the stuff I have done.  either to save cash or because I did not like the quality of what others have done.  Learned to do carpentry myself so I could fix the house, plumbing and all that goes with it, electrical wiring.  got to be very mechanically inclined due to lack of funds to pay a mechanic.  lots of other stuff but who has the time.

Well!!!  :reading_the_manual:  Lets hear it, what have you learned to be thrifty (cheap)

• daytime dave, hamman, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Oh boy, there are guys here with 60-70 years of thrifty-ness under the belt, this should be interesting,..

As for me, all the same, carpentry, mechanical, cooking, sewing, fabricator, plummer, animals, sales, etc..lots of it passed on  to me from elders, family, siblings, friends and reading.

Not an expert in anything and always learning new ways of saving money and keeping things going.

• daytime dave, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:39 PM

Not really how to save money with this one.  As all of us can say the same thing about carpentry, mechanics, electrical, ect ect.

The best skill a man can have isn't always being able to build or do something.  The best thing I learned is how to make cash selling stuff.

I started out with my last hundred dollars in my pocket.  I was laid off(waiting for a transfer).  I moved back in with my parents.  I had 100 dollars, I got on craigslist.  Found a John Deere STX 38 that was 100 dollars not running.  Went to look at it, figured I could fix it with what I had laying around.  Got it running.  Sold it for 400 dollars, took another 200 bought another tractor, and repeated.  Within 1 week I had over 1,500 bucks in my pocket selling off junk tractors ect, and making small profits. 

That's a way to save money and make money at the same time!

• daytime dave, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:47 PM

That is exactly why I built our new garage in 2009. They wanted $ 21,500. for it and I built the same building for $ 8,900. . Plus, doing it myself (wife son and BIL and neighbor) I learned a lot.  Learned wiring and HVAC from my dad as well as some carpentry.  Next big project for us will be replacing the roof and rotted wood in our 1995 5th whell trailer.      Good  Luck.                                 Roger.

• daytime dave said thank you

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:54 PM

Carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, welding, mechanical work.....You name it and I have probably taken a stab at it.

It is hell to be poor, but it sure makes us versitile!

• daytime dave, twostep, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#6 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Worked construction for a few years in order to know the basics.  Do my own small plumbing and electrical.  Do a lot of bargain shopping before purchasing anything big.  Have a few large gardens, so grocery bills are lower.  Buy a half of beef or whole hog from a neighbor and then have it processed (saving money definitely over going to get meat at the store).  Eat as a family together almost all the time, saving on going out (plus healthier).  Just try not to splurge too often I guess (unless on my GT's...but don't tell the wife about those)

About saving (as in saving money in an account for later), I out $100 from each paycheck into a savings account.  Adds up quicker than you might think...also helps when you get those unexpected bills once and a while.

• daytime dave, hamman, js5020 and 1 other said thanks

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Best way to save money is to not spend it.

• daytime dave, HDWildBill, js5020 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Called a locale carpenter who was highly recommended to put a roof on the house rite after I bought it, my house is only 8oosq ft single story.  Jac$!*^ quoted me $8000 to do the job.  I stripped the old roof of, paid for the shingles to be removed, re-covered the roof with plywood, vapor barrier and the lot with a tin roof plus all new windows in the house for $6700.  did all the work myself with a few friends, learned allot and saved a bunch.

kc9cas-  you are rite being poor sucks but it has its advantages, now the neighbors call me for help rather than the other way around.

• daytime dave said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Like many here I tackle most home repairs and small renovations myself with the exception of some plumbing jobs which I hire out to an expert. 

• daytime dave and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:18 PM

As Willie said,,, don't spend it. I'll also throw in learn to do everything for yourself, be as self sufficient as possible and as financially practical. Always be learning something that either saves or makes money,,,, and live as if you didn't have it. It takes time, discipline and desire, if it were easy everyone would do it!
  • daytime dave, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Be a good friend and scratch someone else's back is my motto in saving money. I'm always willing to help out those in need for nothing, and it usually comes back around to me the same way. A friend helps out a friend, and when those kind of times come around, well, I use my God given talent any way that I can. If it doesn't cost me anything to do the little extra for someone else, then it won't cost them anything either. Favors are priceless as far as I'm concerned. To most this may not sound like a lot of money being saved, but ask yourself, what is the value of most of your friendships, or how much did you save by having a good friend help you out when you needed it? I can't imagine what the bill would tally up to if it weren't for buddies helping me out for nothing, when I needed the their help the most.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 05:39 AM

It seems most members here do a lot of  home & auto repairs , building things ,  but the bad part is we hate to PAY SOMEONE for jobs we can do ourselves lol Take my neighbor , he doesn't even own a drill very liitle tools and NOBODY asks for him to help them on projects lol  While I'll spend the weekend working around the house/cars  ect  he's  just relaxing  watching tv whatever .    I wouldn't want it any other way , lol

• daytime dave, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Like Willie said. And, I've learned to wait----- it's amazing  how the thing you thought you couldn't live without looses it's importance if you slow down and think about it for a while.. Learned that from my FIL. They lived way back in the bush, plane came in with supplies two or three times a year, and many times stuff that they'd ordered because they "needed" it made them wonder what they were thinking about at the time. It had completely lost it's importance, the money was gone but the lesson learned. Try to make wise choices between what you want and what you need.

• daytime dave, twostep and petrj6 have said thanks

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:24 AM

While I never learned this principle years ago, best money saving tip is to stay away from the women! :thumbs:  :rolling:  :rolling:

I do anything I possibly can so I don't have to pay someone else to do it. Tha'ts 95% of home repair, auto repair, yard, etc.

I may have to bite a big bullet soon though, trying to get the well water usable at my mom's house so we can move in is gonna cost $$$$

• daytime dave and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Auto repair (easy since my dad is a 50 year veteran automatic transmission mechanic), as in all of it except the machine work. Example: buy vehicle off of CL for $400, put $600 rebuilding the engine into it, sell it for $3500. Put $1000 toward another vehicle and have $2500 to spend/save/invest. Another example:

Welding: self taught and it is one of the most useful skills I have. I'm not so sure that it has allowed me to SAVE money... more so it has allowed me to enjoy hobbies that I wouldn't be able to afford if I had to pay a pro to do my welding.

Carpentry: remodeling a kitchen, adding pantrys,  or building a barn are all expensive things to pay a contractor to do. Example: I've got a 28'x30' pole barn with right at $2000 invested.

• daytime dave, Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks