Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for February 2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for February (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month for February

1. Bush Hog HD-12 (10 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. Massey MF10 Electric (23 votes [30.67%])

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

3. Wheel Horse 50th Anniversary (8 votes [10.67%])

Percentage of vote: 10.67%

4. Gravely 430 Professional (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

5. Struck Minidozer (20 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

6. John Deere 140H-3 (5 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

7. Cub Cadet 149 (8 votes [10.67%])

Percentage of vote: 10.67%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:04 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of February has now officially started and will end the last day of January.

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of February starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

We will start new nominations at the same time as well so keep an eye out on this forum to know when to submit a nomination or vote.

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• Bush Hog HD-12 - york0060
  • Massey MF10 Electric - DH1
  • Wheel Horse 50th Anniv. - Rocking416
  • Gravely 430 Professional - Bolens 1000
  • Struck Minidozer - Gtractor
  • John Deere 140H-3 - texas deere and horse
  • Cub Cadet 149 - KBear

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

#2 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8938[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8937[/ATTACH]

I will put my Bush Hog HD-12 in the mix. This tractor was given to my dad about 4 years, it did not run and had sat in a barn for several years before he had it given to him. My dad new i enjoyed tractors and i had just finished restoring my Grandpa's 1950 John Deere B which i bought after he had died, so he asked if i wanted it. of course i said yes. It is a 1967 Bush Hog HD-12 and according to Danial, it is somewhat of a rare Garden Tractor. I still need to have the seat redone in the right colors, and find a set of head lights. It is a hydro drive with a 12 1/2 HP Wisconsin engine.

The tractor runs very well know and it is really fun to drive around. I do use to pull things around and of course to give tractor rides to my 3 grand kids ( one of my grand sons first word was "tractor", I was very proud). The tractor seems to be very well built and is very heavy. The only attachment i have for it is the 42" mower, which i am still woking on. My son and i enjoy taking it to tractor shows where it seems to get a lot of attention, a lot of people tell me they didn't evan know Bush Hog made tractors. I feel very lucky to be able to own and restore this tractor. It sure is fun!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0716.jpg
  • Bush hog 1.jpg

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I nominate the ELECTRIC MASSEY GARDEN TRACTOR.

This is a 1966 MF10 that I got a while ago it came as a mix of parts from several tractors, some parts were sold others used to make my other Massey's better. It sat around for a while and I decided it was a good candidate for an electric conversion. The idea was to make a usable electric garden tractor that would use as many of the original attachments as possible, factor lift is in place. This is a custom tractor so I gave it a custom paint job based on what the AMF1010 looked like.
A lot of the parts I put in this I already had, motor, contractors. Three new deep cycle batteries were bought along with a controller and foot throttle, and a used Clarke battery charger. Battery racks were made, a motor mount and everything put in place and a test drive was done. Biggest problem was that the frame was cracked where the trany mounts causing funny noises, thought it was the belt slipping at the time. After the frame was welded up tractor was painted and chassis put together, one test was done on jack stands, everything worked good. Full assembly done and when finished the 2nd driving test was done Jan 3 2011 and it works good. Nice and quiet, surprising how much noise the trany makes though.

Specs.> 36 volt system with 200amp controller and a 2hp motor that has a peak rating of 10hp

How much power this has, pulling pushing power??? Top speed in 4th is faster that the gas version and it climbs hill in 4th without to much trouble.
How long it will run before the batteries die???
Time will tell for both of these as more testing is done and it is what it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8951[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8952[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• Electric Massey 027.jpg
  • Electric Massey 029.jpg

#4 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:54 PM

This is my 1996 Toro WheelHorse 50th anivarsary Tractor, I bought it from a local John deere/Wheel horse Dealer about 4 month before the 08 WHCC Show in P.A I bought it for i belive extremely Fair price ( Less Than 1000$ ) With 689 hours it has 710 now. Since ive owend it ive replaced all of the belts ( OEM Wheel horse Brand ) Changed all of the Fluids spark plug, Wires, The Tractor is very orginal Paint, Tires, I used alot of Rubbing compound and wax to bring out that shine It runs and starts everytime The best part is when it was at the 08 WHCC show in P.A Cecil Pond signed the hood
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8961[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8960[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• wheelhorse027-2.jpg
  • meanthe416004.jpg

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I'm going to nominate my Gravely.
I had this tractor for about a year and a half now. The best part of the story is the tractor was FREE!. This garden tractor was sitting in the weeds near an old farm house where my Dad worked and they were going to take the Gravely to the scrap yard. He called me up and wanted to know if I wanted it and I said sure!.
I figured that It probably would not run since it had been in the elements for many years. But The next day I gave the Onan a look over and everything was complete and intact. I got the key switch unfroze and the tractor began to turn over. I rigged up a small tank to the fender just to see if she would run. I squirted a little gas in the spark plug hole and she fired right up. I couldn't believe that it actually ran and the transmission worked! :dancingbanana:

Since I'm a Bolens fan I really dont use the Gravely too much but it is strong as a mule and will pull just about anything. Its main use is hauling wood and leaf pickup in the fall :D
The Gravely is a model 430 Professional. I am unsure of the year but I know its somewhere in the early 70's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9088[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens gravely 6-18-10 007.jpg
  • gravely 006.jpg
  • gravely 6-18-10.jpg

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:20 PM

I'll throw one in this month. This is my Struck Minidozer. It was made somewhere around 1970, but the actual year is unclear. Originally it had a seven
horsepower Techumseh engine with rope start. The dozer was inside a building that caught fire and burnt to the ground. You can imagine what happened to the aluminum block Techumseh in that fire.
A fellow by the name of Robert Gattenby from Harrisonville, MO saw the burned shell and decided it would be fun to resurect the little dozer but improve on its design. He bought all new shafts, pulleys, and bearings from Struck and started the rebuilding process. This was in 1981. His choice of engine was a fourteen horsepower Kohler with electric start. The Kohler and its battery wouldn't fit inside the chassis so he added a hood of his own design to cover the new options. Robert was 71 years old in 1981 and decided he didn't want a manual lift to tug on so he also added two way hydraulics. He made a bucket for the front and a ripper lift for the back, although he never made the ripper.
I met Mr. Gattenby in 2004 when he was 94 years young and he decided it was time to part with his little toy. His health was failing and he wanted to know his prized possession was going to be left in good hands. I bought the Struck from him just as you see it here. I have used it very little in the time that I have owned it, mostly taking it to shows. It does have plenty of power and traction to push dirt around. The biggest project I have used it for was to push dirt around my house to improve drainage and keep rain water out of the basement.
Robert Gattenby passed away in 2005.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9092[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9091[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• struck dozer2.jpg
  • struck dozer.jpg

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey All,

Well, I guess I will throw 1 of my tractors in the mix.

I am entering my 1969 John Deere 140H-3 . Although 140 started being produced in 1968 with a Kohler K-301,12hp.In 1969,J.D. started putting a Kohler K321 14hp in this tractor. The 140 could be equipped with either a single spool hydraulic or 3 spool hydraulic system,and this is there the referince of (H-1,H-3) comes from. The tractor could be used with several different accesories. I curently have a 54" 4way hydraulic blade on this one.

John Deere really did a great job in engineering this tractor, some people feel this is the best garden tractor that Deere ever built. I personally think that the 140 and 318 are a close match for that title.I bought this tractor about 2 years ago in a deal that I made with a guy in Tn.. I ended up buying his whole collection of 22 John Deere's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9141[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• 1969 John Deere 140 H-3.jpg

#8 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'll nominate my International Harvester Cub Cadet 149.

This is my 1972 International Harvester Cub Cadet 149. Introduced in late 1971 models 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149 and 169 all had what is called the Wide Frame design incorporated to accommodate the larger-sized flywheel and blower housing of the Kohler higher horse power engines. At this time wide frame models 86, 108, and 128 were still gear-driven utilizing the Farmall Cub's transmission while the 129, 149 and 169 models were hydrostatic drive. All models used the original Cub Cadet's cast iron rear end and differential. The hydrostatic pumps on the 149 and 169 were fitted with auxiliary ports in order to accommodate the tractor's lifting and remote hydraulic needs through the Sundstrand Co. hydrostatic system.

The target markets for the higher horse power tractors such as the 14 horse power 149 were homeowners with large acreage needing a somewhat larger tractor for mowing. Although the International Harvester Cub Cadet 149 wasn't a direct competitor to the 14 horse power John Deere 140 for the garden tractor market owners of a 149 could purchase a Lawn Sweeper, Utility Cart, Box Scraper, Rear Rake, Back Blade, 42" or 54" Push Blade, Shredder Grinder, 36" or 42" Snowthrower and a rear mounted Rotary Tiller as added attachments. With the addition of a Cub Cadet three point hitch owner's of both earlier narrow frame and later wide frame tractors could purchase a rear sleeve hitch enabling the use of a Brinly-Hardy moldboard plow, disk, harrow, back blade and several other allied equipment attachment that were available at the time.

I purchased this 149 from the previous owner while looking at a John Deere LGT he had listed for sale as well. While there he let me know the 149 was for sale also and the rest is history as they say. I purchased the 149 almost two years ago now and I'm the third owner. As you can see the tractor isn't painted Cub Cadet Yellow rather the previous owner chose to paint it New Caterpillar Yellow. At first I wasn't sure about the color, but in a short time it grew on me and now I'm glad it's this color. Although the tractor was in great shape at the time of purchase there were a myriad of items that needed fixing throughout the tractor. As time permitted over the last couple years I've replaced with new and or fixed all that's been needed. Only attachment that came with the tractor is a totally restored 42" mower deck.

Even though I've not really put this tractor to work as of yet I have plans for its future use. By fabricating a rear mounting bracket for a 15 gal. spray tank I plan on making it my spot sprayer tractor.

[ATTACH]9202[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]9203[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]9215[/ATTACH]

Kenneth

Attached Thumbnails

• GTtalk_ihcc149_b.jpg
  • GTtalk_ihcc149_c.jpg
  • GTtalk_ihcc149_a.jpg

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:38 AM

Voting has begun. Sorry I was a little late getting the voting thread setup. Been a little hectic the last couple days. Get your votes on :D

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Another month with some very nice tractors to choose from. Hard to pick just one!

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 07:36 AM

Yes,going to be hard to pick one.

#12 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Tough one this time around.....
P.

#13 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 184 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 07:15 PM

This is an outstanding group of tractors. You all are very lucky to own them. They all are deserving.

#14 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:49 PM

This is an outstanding group of tractors. You all are very lucky to own them. They all are deserving.

Thank you 101 senior. I like owning my IHCC 149 that's for sure and yes I believe this bunch of tractors are all deserving as well!

:rocker:

Kenneth

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:15 PM

DH1, what batteries are using, 12 Vt. or 6 Vt.?