• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • Member No: 54653
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello all, new here and with a quick google search, ive found these forums and now i am a member.  I am 29 y/o union electrician in St. Louis. I have owned a couple of deere's before, one being a 140 h3, the next a 210, and a 317.  I recently picked up a 318 for 500 bucks off craigslist but its going to need a full restoration. I got it running but the pan is completely rusted as well as a few other things.  Frame is in good shape and i just started looking into it.  Has a 50' deck and thats about it.  Previous owner got it from a old folks home who contracted out there work and had no use for the machine anymore.  He had it for a month and didnt want to fiddle with it (he has a mint 318 already) so he put it on craigslist.  From what I have found is its a 1987, its only been serviced by John Deere and it has had the engine replaced at one point.  So here come the questions....

1. When the 318 is running the power steering works as well as the rear hydraulic piston, but the mower will not move.  I inspected the 2 valves under the seat and it appears thy are stuck in the down position.  Will these need to be replaced? Is this why the mower will not move forward?  I can push it by hand but its not easy.

2. I am going to run  larger wheels and tires, most likely going to go with a 455 rim and a 26x12x12 bar tire in the rear, and I found a set of rims off a 400, with a 18x8.5x8 for the front.  With this setup will I have rubbing issues? Will I have to mount the rims so it has the stance wider to the outside? Lastly is this the best way to have the mower sit level?

3. What advantages does a electric fuel pump have to the stock vacuum pump?  Is it worth the switch if my vacuum pump is working fine?

4. On the positive lead of the battery cable there is a smaller red cable that comes off the terminal as well but someone along the way just put a wire nut on it.  Where did this wire go?

I would appreciate feedback and I will be taking numerous pictures along the way and sharing them with the forum.  Thanks again!

Last but not least, a pic of the machine..

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

• MH81 and superspeedex have said thanks

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:31 PM

If those valves are stuck down it won't move most times you can spray them with something like PB Blaster and you can work them loose.

As for the tires I think I have seen some guys say there are some clearance issues

If the stock pump is working well dont mess with it

I can't say right off about the wire may one of the other guys can remmember right off

#3 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:35 PM

With the stuck valves, should i take them out completely and soak them? Or is it better to soak them in place and work them out?  I am assuming that is the issue of why the tractor will not move..

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:05 PM

With the stuck valves, try soaking them where they sit for now. PB Blaster is my choice, best to give it 3-4 days.

The 50 deck will rub on 26's no matter which way you flip the rims. You can mow with it, but you won't be able to lift the deck much more than an inch or two.

This is strictly my opinion, but there is no advantage to running bigger rims. It creates hassles if you plan on using the tractor for anything other than pulling a cart. If you're going for looks, you have to decide if the filled out fenders are worth the troubles they cause.

I agree with Kenny on the fuel pump. If it's working, why replace it.

I was going to guess the rear rims were loaded with calcium chloride, but that doesn't explain what happened to that poor footrest. Maybe they piled salt in there and salted the sidewalks as they went along with their heel?

#5 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:28 PM

It was my understanding the tractor lived its life in a shed. A shed with a water problem that is. There is rust all over this thing although the frame and front is pretty good. It had a hard enclosure on it asd well and there are two massive mounting point on the back frame. Perhaps I will stick with the smaller wheels?

#6 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:39 PM

23x10.5x12 rim/tire combos are much more common that 26x12x12 and prices/availability of used or new reflects that.

My disdain of larger than stock wheel/tire combos stem completely from a practical standpoint. Why create problems.

Now, there is something to be said about how 'beefy' these look when ya slap 26x12 Firestone R1's on them. Ooh, baby.

Or the ones in this photo:

bj8q6b.jpg

#7 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:53 PM

is the wire that comes off of the positive cable on the battery end of the cable?  

if so it went to the circuit breaker under the battery tray

with the deck lift you said the piston at the back moved on my 318 that is the piston that raises and lowers the deck.

so maybe the linkages are getting hung up somewhere 

oh and welcome to the forum 

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:26 AM

Doesn't the 318 have a lever to let you move the tractor around without the engine running ? Could someone have moved that at some point ? Or is that the valves in question ?

Edited by Alc, March 19, 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:49 AM

The 318 does have a free wheel lever but I am not familiar with the location.  IF those valves are stuck open then the system will not pressurize and the tractor will not move.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Congrats on the 318. That one is not that rusty. There is one near me with a cab on it that is used to spread salt. It is the rustiest tractor I've ever seen. There is no paint left on the fender deck at all, none. The tractor just keeps on running and is serviced regularly at the local JD dealership. 

#11 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:39 AM

@nbent the wire looks like a 10 gauge wire that just comes off the positive terminal and has a wire nut on it. What's the purpose of the circuit breaker?

@Alc, the tractor does have a free range lever located under the seat and fender pan. When you move it the valves depress and let you move the tractor around freely. Unfortunately mine are stuck in the down position...that's why I am going to try the pb blaster trick.
  • Alc said thank you

#12 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:39 AM

@nbent the wire looks like a 10 gauge wire that just comes off the positive terminal and has a wire nut on it. What's the purpose of the circuit breaker?

@Alc, the tractor does have a free range lever located under the seat and fender pan. When you move it the valves depress and let you move the tractor around freely. Unfortunately mine are stuck in the down position...that's why I am going to try the pb blaster trick.

the purpose of the breaker is to protect the electrical system why to many amps are drawn it kills all of the power. if you could get a pick of it we can tell for sure its that wire, not one someone added later 

with the valves being stuck like that if it were me i would remove the seat pan soak them for a few days in pb then start the tractor and have it at an idle while moving the free wheel lever back and forth to try and free up the valves.

• Alc said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 01:30 PM

is the wire that comes off of the positive cable on the battery end of the cable?  

if so it went to the circuit breaker under the battery tray

with the deck lift you said the piston at the back moved on my 318 that is the piston that raises and lowers the deck.

so maybe the linkages are getting hung up somewhere 

oh and welcome to the forum 

When I got my 318 the lift was not moving the deck but the cylinder was moving. There is a linkage at the rear of the Gt with a long bolt and has a roll pin through it.  That has to be adjusted properly to lift the deck It took me some playing aroud with that to get the lift right.

The 318 carries the deck and the deck should be set so you can get your toe under the deck (Don't do this while the deck is running) :wallbanging:

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 19, 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#14 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Awesome advice guys I really appreciate the help. I will try and get a picture up tonight so you know what wire I am dealing with. I'm headed out of town for the weekend so a pb blaster bath is in order.

#15 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Here's the wire I am talking about (yes my battery is sideways I need to move the found to a different spot) the wire I am holding comes off the positive, goes under the battery and is then in my hand, with a wire but on it.