• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buddha481 OFFLINE  

buddha481
  • Member No: 54501
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have a '90 Toro 310-8 that locked up in 2nd gear, and cannot be moved, or shifted to neutral.
I don't know what model/brand of transmission is in it. Anyone know this?
Also, if anything is broken inside, where can I get parts since Toro doesn't even list the trans for the 310-8.

#2 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:45 PM

you can get all the parts for that. Easy tran to rebuild. Did the shifter get really loose?

#3 buddha481 OFFLINE  

buddha481
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:19 PM

The shifter is jammed in 2nd, all I did that day was plow snow, 1 pass from garage to street, turned and got from street to gate in driveway, and it wouldn't move from there.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

#4 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:07 PM

You should be able to break it loose. lift the wheels of the ground and keep working the shifter, other wise your pulling it out.

• Alc said thank you

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Don't give up yet. The transmission may be locked up in 2 gears at once. The shifter is retained by a dog-point set screw. Loosen the lock nut and back out the screw about 6 turns. Requires an Allen wrench. Now pull the shift straight out. Look down the hole and you will see 2 shift rails that slide left to right. On each rail is a pair of tabs that the shifter ball goes in between. Using a long screwdriver slide those rails left or right to center the space between the tabs in the hole. That is neutral.

Check the donut on the shifter to make sure it is secured to the shifter rod. Some are welded to it and most are retained by a roll pin that can shear. This pin is shorter than the donut and shares the same hole with the tip of the dog-point set screw so it is closer to the rear of the shifter.

Put the shifter back in and get the set screw back into the donut. Run it all the way in till the shift starts to bind. Then back it out just enough to give a smooth shift. Tighten the locknut.

This shifter hole is the best one to use for adding fluid if you need to add a lot like doing an oil change.

If this is the fix I think I know what causes it. When you shift gears go to the neutral gate and stop for a second before you go across the neutral gate. This gives time for the shift rail to relieve the vacuum or pressure in the rail blind bore hole to dissipate.

Keep us posted with you progress.

Garry

Edited by GWest, March 19, 2014 - 05:53 AM.

• Chris11 said thank you

#6 buddha481 OFFLINE  

buddha481
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I also have a Wheel Horse 656, my Dad bought new in FEB 1967,he worked the poo out of it for decades.
I took it over and started fixing it up in the ‘90s. At one time, he installed a hydraulic unit from Cessna (I think) to use as a hydro lift unit for implements, dozer blade w/homemade frame,8in. Plow w/colter wheel,cultivator, and others. I also have a MB-405 grader blade, ST-326 snowblower, 36in. lawn roller,and single blade ripper tooth that fits in the pocket hitch.

Not bad for a 48yr old BEAST!

Does anyone know which model trans is in the 310-8?

#7 buddha481 OFFLINE  

buddha481
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Here it is September 2014, and I finally got around to repairing my trans on the 310-8. After fighting to get the trans off the tractor a few weeks ago, when I opened the trans case I found out why it locked up last winter!
After looking inside I found a strip of metal jammed between 2 clusters of gears. You won't believe what it was.
On this transmission, even Toro won't tell the model# of this trans on their website. By going thru a pdf file on trans repair/breakdown I think it is a 5086 from 1982 . It is a 4-spd with high/low range shifter and the right rear top of the case has an approx. 6" tube for a trans dipstick that just reaches the hole in the seat pan so gear oil can be checked.
After examination, I realized that the strip of metal jammed in the cluster was actually the "Damned Dipstick" that broke off or rusted loose inside the tube and went swimming in the trans‘ gear oil until it got chewed up into little bits and the final 2 1/2" got jammed in the cluster locking up the whole trans. I had never thought that would be a possibility.
Please, if anyone else has had a similar problem, let me know.
Yesterday, I finally got the case closed back up, I didnt have a new case gasket to replace the original torn gasket so I
made my own w/ a tube of Permatex Ultra RTV Gasket Maker for Gear Oil. It looks to be able to seal the case well enough (for me anyway). Now the trick is to remount the trans and put everything back on the tractor in time for Snow season. Wish me luck, and I‘ll get back with you folks later to report if all went well.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 04:38 AM