Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Tell Me The Difference Between The Horz Vs Vert M18 Kohler Motor

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 48052
  • 315 Thanks
  • 630 posts
  • Location: Ponca City Oklahoma

Posted March 18, 2014 - 02:57 PM

I know the main difference that one has a vert crank and the other is horz. But, can you swap parts from one to the other??

Is it even possible to turn a vert shaft M18 into a Horz shaft M18??


I know that the carbs or intake might be different but what else is different inside?

Edited by victor3ranger, March 18, 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,803 posts
  • Location: York, PA

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:06 PM

I don't have time to search right now but there's a thread on here where someone was in the process of converting a Magnum. If I remember correctly, he had a list of everything necessary to do it but I don't think he ever did it. There's also a thread from earlier this month where someone wanted to do the same thing with a Command.
  • Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty


  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,702 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts
  • Location: Northern Utah

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've seen a twin Briggs that had mounting tabs for vertical and horizontal operation--but you would still have to change the oil pump carb and manifold...useful if you have a good vertical and a scored cylinder etc on a horizontal.

  • OkieGt said thank you