16 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have a bunch of side shaft minibike engines I am selling.  A guy from Germany contacted me wanting to buy a HS50 Tecumseh for a minibike he is restoring.  Have it listed for 50 bucks.  Shipping cost through FedEx or UPS is over 400 dollars!

Anyone ever done this cheaper?  I'd like to help the guy out as he is restoring a bike that was built about 75 miles from me, and it's really neat that it ended up in Germany. 

Don't mind packaging it and shipping it if he pays me the funds but I'm not willing to send it for 418 dollars and he doesn't want to pay that much either.

I don't know how many Tecumseh HS50s ended up over seas! 

• GlenPettit said thank you

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 12:05 PM

How heavy is it? 

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 12:18 PM

I ship overseas through our corporate UPS account on a regular basis. It depends on where it's going, but not uncoomon for a quart sample of dry pigment color at 2#'s to cost close to $200.Then you factor in tariffs and duties and bam, it can be up there. Few years ago, I spent $1100 in one day shipping samples Asia I believe, pretty heavy that time, but had 4-5 boxes full. 

I sold a siren box/horn to someone in France back in 2003. Price was $60-70, shipping back then was $120 or so.

$400 sounds a little high, but when weight goes up, seems the shipping cost goes up expotentially.

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 12:37 PM

30 lbs maybe?

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think I would be thinking about letting him make the arrangemnts for shipping through his contacts in Germany.

We sometimes ship outside the continental US. But will only ship to a location in the US. Some off continent accounts have Freight forwarding contacts stateside we can ship to. Then it is up to the customer and the freight Forwarder to make arrangements for shipping by boat and Customs in the recipients country.  There are tons of lawyers that have built their entire careers on the intricacies of international shipping.

• superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 12:53 PM

It's legal to import that? I've shipped that much weight overseas via USPS, I'd suggest that. Of course all the oil and fuel would need to be removed and it would have to be packed extremely well.

That of course is if USPS allows you to ship an engine.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Take it apart and ship the parts via USPS in a few different boxes? Don't know if it woould be cheaper, just a thought if its too big in one piece. Doesn't USPS offer international flat rate?

• superaben said thank you

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 02:52 PM

It's legal to import that? I've shipped that much weight overseas via USPS, I'd suggest that. Of course all the oil and fuel would need to be removed and it would have to be packed extremely well.

That of course is if USPS allows you to ship an engine.

I've shipped a few engines in the US through UPS USPS and FedEx.  Just requires mounting the engine to a piece of wood, draining the fluids, and building a box around it.

• GlenPettit said thank you

#9 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 02:56 PM

FedEx, DHL and UPS all will do all the paperwork and details for you, then send the bill to Germany for him to pre-pay.  They will even do the contacts and details with him, so you don't have to act as a middleman.  All you have to do is confirm that that is the way he want to go, take the part (and package if you want to pack it) to the store and they do the rest.  I think some 'Office Max' stores will also coordinate this for you.  

There is 5-6 steps or forms that need to be completed, it's a lot to learn the first time.  If you're going to ship every month, learn it yourself, but for just once, let the experts do it all.  For me, a 2x2x2' 45# box shipped to Shanghi from Michigan by air was $200, inclusive, they even packed the items for me.

Good Luck

• IamSherwood, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Would be better to have him arrange it using his carrier service, in the US customs will have a field day if you send it.

Regardless it will be very high priced, no way around that really, inporting is just as bad but i use a different carried that get's transfered to UPS seeing as DHL pulled out after ABX screwed them.

Talk to UPS about the idea and they should be able to give you a much better idea with exporting.

When you ship it, send it as parts to a ''friend'' with no value, no matter what do not let them convince you it is worth it's weight in gold, just package it carefully in good boxes wrapped up tight with some incerance.

• superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 02:59 PM

FedEx, DHL and UPS all will do all the paperwork and details for you, then send the bill to Germany for him to pre-pay.  They will even do the contacts and details with him, so you don't have to act as a middleman.  All you have to do is confirm that that is the way he want to go, take the part (and package if you want to pack it) to the store and they do the rest.  I think some 'Office Max' stores will also coordinate this for you.  

There is 5-6 steps or forms that need to be completed, it's a lot to learn the first time.  If you're going to ship every month, learn it yourself, but for just once, let the experts do it all.  For me, a 2x2x2' 45# box shipped to Shanghi from Michigan by air was $200, inclusive, they even packed the items for me.

Good Luck

I tend to favor DHL, IMO, always did good by me.

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think you would really like Germany. Lots of great beer & food.  Extra baggage charge: less than $400.  Just saying ...

• IamSherwood, superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Closest to over seas I have gotten is across the Mississippi!

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:29 PM

There was a thread not long ago about shipping via Fastenal....I don't know if they are in Germany or not. Check this out.

http://gardentractor...re/#entry369971

• superaben said thank you

#15 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:05 PM

I think you would really like Germany. Lots of great beer & food.  Extra baggage charge: less than $400.  Just saying ...

As odd as that sounds, with a seat-sale bargain price, it's not a bad idea. We know a woman who has sold puppies to central Europe and taken them over herself for less money and hassle than shipping them by themselves. 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and toomanytoys84 have said thanks