16 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Browsing through craigslist I notice an MF10 for $1200.  Lots of money for an old tractor, but I give it a look.  "Lightly used" "fresh coat of paint" of course the deck looks like it might have been about to rust out before it was painted.  I left the ad, then saw another MF10 in the same town, listed one week earlier, for $800.  Same seller, but no pics.  Only thing I can think changed from one to the other was a fresh coat of paint.

http://athensga.crai...4362218497.html

http://athensga.crai...4374455401.html

mf 800.JPG mf 1200.JPG

• MH81, sacsr, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 09:44 PM

See that all the time here, shiny sells.

• superaben said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 09:51 PM

I don't know Howard I think I would rather have one with the rust than that paint job. 

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Yep, the good old "Rattle Can Restoration"  :D :D :D

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Wrong color, no deck cover, somethings not right where the hood meets the cowl, I hate to see what that paint is really covering, to bad someone took the sleeve hitch off, It had one, the mounts are still there

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 04:14 AM

A tractor/implement dealer here in town always said, "A good coat of paint will hide a lot of sins"!

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:14 AM

Give me original unpainted wear and tear every time. You can see exactly what you are dealing with.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:45 AM

I see Earl Sceib got into the tractor market.
  • boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:47 AM

The more thats painted, the more is likely to be wrong with them....... Rattle Can paint over grease and rust = No buyers

#10 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:05 AM

I can't speak on this tractor, but a GOOD paint job done right can make a tractor, car, truck, ect  worth more.  A  poorly done paint job is just smoke and mirrors.  Like said before, shiny paint sells to the rooky.   I agree with JDBrian

#11 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:22 AM

My tractor is not as old as a lot others here. Mine is a 1986, but it still has a factory paint, far from perfect but IMHO looks fair.  An older tractor that shows wear is what it is, you know it can do work because you can see that it has worked. An older tractor thats been poorly repainted is like someone with a bad facelift. Again IMHO   

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:22 AM

I hate to see what that paint is really covering

The more thats painted, the more is likely to be wrong with them....... Rattle Can paint over grease and rust = No buyers

Exactly.  I get really picky about buying "restored" repainted tractors.  Paint absolutely increases value.  No questions asked.  But to do a job, it takes more than 1 week, one coat, and an open hood.  You've got to tear down the machine and really give a paint job that preserves it, not just sells it.

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Exactly.  I get really picky about buying "restored" repainted tractors.  Paint absolutely increases value.  No questions asked.  But to do a job, it takes more than 1 week, one coat, and an open hood.  You've got to tear down the machine and really give a paint job that preserves it, not just sells it.

Ben W.

That's right Ben, Not that it matters but I set him right on color etc, his reply was less than flattering, but hey any one that knows me should know I;m used to that.

Wrong color grey, the Massey L&G tractors were Massy Flint grey Metallic, the grilles and wheels were Massey Silver Mist, oh hell never mind, I’m wasting my time, BTW it’s a 500 dollar tractor that you might find someone to pay 600, if you’re lucky, I wish you luck. The deck cover would be nice, there’s one on ebay, it might hide most of the rust scars.

• HowardsMF155 and superaben have said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Good paint and detailing will really boost the value and sale ability of a Tractor. Back when I was in High School 1966, I worked part time in an International Dealership.  Good Machine sheds were not as common as they are on todays farms, and there is no color that fades as quickly as Red. One guy worked full time painting tractors and "Old Don" did a great job of detailing them. Every tractor that was traded in got  Steam cleaned and a fresh coat of paint and new decals after the mechanics went through them to be sure everything was up to snuff.

But as all of you have said, if it is not done well it's like putting "Lipstick on a Pig".  And you can't make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" the best  you can hope for is pigskin.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 17, 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:29 PM

As we've debated before the word "Restored" has been put to shame by alot of people over the years.

If you see a "Restored" tractor for less than a grand red flags should be going up everywhere. Truth is, not many people will pay that much for a true restoration and no one who really collects tractors buys anything restored as that is something they do themselves or have professionally done.

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks