Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

This Old House

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#91 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:29 AM

Looks good Troy.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#92 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Great Job Troy, keep us posted. I love seeing photo threads like this.

#93 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Looking good Troy.Your kitchen has really come a long way.Kathy won't know how to act with the counter tops installed. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Edited by ckjakline, January 18, 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#94 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Very nice work Troy. I have to ask out of curiosity, is it less expensive to build your own top over ordering them or did you just want to build them yourself? The kitchen looks GREAT, Way to GO My Friend !!

#95 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Very nice work Troy. I have to ask out of curiosity, is it less expensive to build your own top over ordering them or did you just want to build them yourself? The kitchen looks GREAT, Way to GO My Friend !!

I can't answer for his reasons but I know when we did my dad's kitchen we built our own counter tops. His reason was they are 10 times better built and more solid than any store bought laminate counter top. His look like new 12 years later.

The ones posted here look extremely well built.

#96 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Brian,

Our cabinet supplier wanted $600.00 to make the counter tops. That's including the cost of the laminate, but not installation. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something I knew I could do myself for a whole lot less. One thing to point out though, the supplier wanted to charge us the $600.00, but when we decided that I would build them myself, the supplier only wanted to give us a $300.00 credit towards deleting them. Needless to say, I wasn't a very liked customer when I brought up the $300.00 difference. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 19, 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#97 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:05 PM

Today I got the counter top fitted and installed, however, not without issues. I know better than to cut out my sink opening before setting the top in place, but I didn't want the issues of trying to cut out the sink back opening with the jig saw against the window sill and apron. Well, when we went to stand the counter top up on edge, the top broke at the narrowest places of the sink cutout.  :wallbanging:  Lesson well learned and won't try to cut corners again. Fortunately though, it worked out and the breaks will be able to be blended well. 

January 18, 2015 002.JPG January 18, 2015 003.JPG

January 18, 2015 001.JPG

Next, I laid out the laminate and clamped both ends to the layout table. Kathy picked Winter Carnival by Formica, and I think it's going to look pretty sharp next to the cabinets.

January 18, 2015 005.JPG January 18, 2015 006.JPG

January 18, 2015 007.JPG

First I ripped two 2" pieces for all of my edges. Then fit and cut each piece with a little overhang on the top edges. After gluing them on, I went back over the overhangs with my trim router and a 1/4" flush cut bit. This got it almost flush, but I still had to go over each of the edges with a course file. Especially the corners, where the router wouldn't get in close enough. Lot's of time spent filing. Once all of my edges were done and glued, I laid out the top piece of laminate for a rough size, giving me a 1/2" bigger than my overall finished dimension between the walls. This way I could lay the piece on top and scribe it to each wall for a perfect fit. Since the counter top is a "U" shape, I also cut the laminate to 28" depth all the way around, just to make it a little more easier to work with and to get me closer to the walls for laying out my scribes.

January 18, 2015 008.JPG January 18, 2015 010.JPG

January 18, 2015 011.JPG January 18, 2015 013.JPG

January 18, 2015 012.JPG

I wanted to get the top fitted and glued, all the edges filed, and the sink reset, but it didn't happen. It's almost 11:00 now, and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me running the router at this time of night. Tomorrows another day, so hopefully I'll have some final pictures to post tomorrow night.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! I'm really enjoying this, although sometimes it gets a little frustrating when you don't get done in a day what you have planned to do! 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 19, 2015 - 08:41 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#98 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Big counter top is glued, in place, and the sink is set.  :dancingbanana: Due to having to keep the windows open because of the adhesive fumes, I think the coldness kept a couple of edges from sticking, but I'm hoping with some pressure on them over night, they will stick. I have to file the edges yet, then it will be done! At least Kathy has a sink and running water again. I'll be glad when the edges are done, so I can put the stove and fridge back where they belong.

January 19, 2015 001.JPG January 19, 2015 002.JPG

January 19, 2015 003.JPG

Once everything is back in place, I'll start on the smaller counter top. I want to get it fit before I set the pantry cabinet in place, hoping it will be a little easier to trim the edges before fastening it to the base cabinet. I also have to cut open the floor of the three drawer base cabinet, to finish running the piping and get the toe-kick heater installed. 

Kathy told me she is very excited, and thinks the kitchen is looking great. I told her I appreciate her patience, as I'm not the fastest carpenter on the block. I'd never make it on my own if I choose to go into my own business, as I'm just too detailed and spend too much time on the fine things. Have patience guys, I'll get it all done one of these days. Then we'll move onto the new Den!

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#99 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 05:37 AM

Looks good, Troy! That should make her very happy!

#100 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 08:48 AM

Nice job. I have always wanted to tackle laminate, but always afraid of those edges and getting them finished properly.

My dad used to work at a bank in maintenance, he used to build all their countertops in the offices and store rooms.

#101 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:37 AM

Looks real good Troy, your doing a nice job. This is what I do for a living. It overwhelms me to hear the prices of cabinets, counter tops, etc. People are getting ripped off everywhere regardless of what they buy. Just in case you don't know if you have to remove a piece of glued down laminate...drop a few drops of lacquer thinner down the edge of the piece to be removed. It quickly breaks down the glue & the laminate just peels off. Don't peel ahead of the LT or it can break...just let it do the work. Tell your wife the colors look nice against the cabinet colors.
  • johndeereelfman and TAHOE have said thanks

#102 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for all of the compliments guys, it means a lot!  :thumbs:

#103 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Looks good Troy.  You should get a few good points from Kathy for this. :rolling:

#104 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:23 PM

This afternoon I got the second, smaller counter top done, so tomorrow I'll work on getting the toe-kick heater cut into the base cabinet and hooked up, then work on getting the pantry cabinet set.

January 24, 2015 007.JPG January 24, 2015 010.JPG

After I was done with the smaller counter top, I thought I'd do something a little different with the left over piece of laminate. I made an in-corner, double step counter top, and set it on top of some filler pieces that I had left over from the cabinet crown. I like it, however Kathy doesn't. I explained to her that it doesn't make the dead space of corner counter look so deep and un-useful, but she still says no. Oh well, I tried.

January 24, 2015 008.JPG January 24, 2015 009.JPG

• MH81, shorty, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#105 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts