#76 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Lookin Goood :thumbs: Cabinets really pop nice with that wall color.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#77 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 07:39 PM

It's been a while since I posted a progress report, so here's the latest. I got the rest of the wall cabinets and base cabinets installed, along with temporary countertops, until I get the material to make the new ones. I also got all of the windows trimmed, as well as the laundry room bi-fold doors and the basement door. I need to get the basement door pulled and stripped one of these days, but right now that isn't top priority. I also temporarily installed two pieces of baseboard and crown molding in the high tray just to see how it will look, and glad I did, as I don't like it. I think it needs something more, so I'm going to make and add another piece of molding to the bottom edge of each tray. My goal is to make the whole face look like one big piece of molding. 

Kathy is thinking that she might not like the shade of the wall now.  :wallbanging:  I told her if she wants them repainted, then she either does it herself or she calls her Mom back in to do it. I just want to get done, as there are tractors calling my name, and other projects that need to be done! 

Update April 6th 009.JPG Update April 6th 001.JPG Update April 6th 002.JPG Update April 6th 005.JPG Update April 6th 006.JPG Update April 6th 004.JPG Update April 6th 008.JPG

Next will be to finish painting the miscellaneous trims, re-hanging the back door and installing the hardware, and possibly ordering the laminate so that I can start making the countertops. I also need to get material so that I can start on the wainscot, chair rail and baseboard. Kathy is starting to second guess my wainscot idea, as she thinks it will make the rooms too overwhelming. She wants the ceilings to be the main "WOW" factor of the kitchen and dining room, and thinks that the wainscot will take away from that. She is afraid that people seeing the kitchen and dining room for the first time will be drawn to so many different things, that the ceiling will be the last thing anyone will notice, and the ceiling is intended to be our main focus point.

Me? What do I think? I just think I'm there to eat. Who cares what is noticed first or last. When I'm hungry, I only have one focus point, and that is to sit down and eat some food!!!!! 

• olcowhand, HDWildBill, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#78 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 11:36 PM

Regardless of what you do in the ceiling the focal point in a kitchen is always the cabinets or counter tops. On the tray ceiling instead of building up the crown with baseboard use birch plywood. Start the top of the bpw just high enough to catch the bottom of your crown. Bring the bottom of the bpw just above your drywall corner bead then cap that to bring the edge flush with corner bead. If you didn't want to use bpw use 1x poplar or mdf then rout a nice edge on the bottom making it flush with your corner bead. Routing the bottom would give you a more custom look that people would know it's not base board. Either way will give you a three-dimensional one piece look covering the whole face. You could also hang a picture of your favorite GT up there then that would make the ceiling a focal point but then you would have to build your own dog house :) It's been fun watching your progress.

#79 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Looks good Troy.Everything you and Kathy have picked out so far really looks great.Keep it up.

Edited by ckjakline, April 07, 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#80 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Well, the Holidays are over and all of the Christmas decorations are put away. It's too cold out to work on tractors, so it's back to the remodeling again. We got some Christmas money from both sets of parents, and were told that it has to be used for the house only, so Kathy and I decided to use some of it towards buying the pantry cabinet that we had to delete with the original plan, due to the budget being tight, and also towards the counter tops. We ordered the cabinet and shelf kit from out cabinet supplier, and picked it up last Saturday. Will look good and fit in well. Makes quite a difference. We were going to order the fridge surround and upper cabinet, but decided to wait and use that money towards flooring instead.

Kathy finally decided on the laminate that she wants for the counter tops, so I started shopped around at all of the local lumber yards and supply companies to see how much it will cost us. WOW! What a sticker shock. On average, we were looking to spend between $215.00-$230.00 for a 5' x 12' piece of Formica. Unbelievable. Well, long story short, I did some goggling and found a company in Tennessee that had if for $157.00 plus $27.00 for shipping. Now that's more like it. The laminate was delivered, so last Sunday I went to Lowe's to get the 3/4" plywood, adhesive, rollers, jigsaw blade, and 1/4" dowel rods. On Monday, Kathy started putting all of here appliances and nick-nacks away so they wouldn't get dusty, and I started to rip the plywood down to size that evening. Not a lot to show for now, but I'll update with pictures as I go along while laying out the tops and as I fit and glue the laminate.

Here's a couple of pictures that I was able to snap tonight before the battery died on the camera. Here is the new pantry cabinet sitting in place. I don't want to fasten it until I have the counter top fit first.

January 14, 2015 048.JPG January 14, 2015 049.JPG

Our make-shift counter tops that I gave Kathy to use last year:

January 14, 2015 051.JPG January 14, 2015 050.JPG

January 14, 2015 052.JPG

And after reading back through this thread, I noticed that I never posted a picture of the cabinetry crown molding, so here is how it turned out:

January 14, 2015 053.JPG

Still haven't started the tray ceiling crown molding yet, as I'm still trying to come up with the look that I'm searching for. We were originally thinking of painting the tray crown white, but we are now considering on staining it the same shade as the cabinets. I'm also trying to talk Kathy into going with a penny faced backsplash. I got the usual eye roll, but at least she didn't say no to the idea....yet!  :smilewink:

Hope to post again soon! 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 15, 2015 - 07:10 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#81 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Coming along nicely. I haven't done a big laminate job in years. With the very competitive market on counter tops no matter what you go with I can understand you doing your own. The penny face backsplash would look good...I like the stone stuff that looks like creek pebbles. Do you have a micro pinner? I bought one from Senco a few years ago only about a $150. Once your done on the darker trim you have to really look hard to find the nail holes. If you haven't got your hardware yet my wife bought some stuff online at a redicously low price for our entertainment center...pewter, brushed nickel or even bronze would look good on yours. We'll I guess I'll quit building now & let you finish the rest lol. Keep us up to date.

#82 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:02 AM

The crown looks real nice, Troy! Have fun with the laminate! It's been many years since I have messed with that stuff!

#83 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Looking great.

That reminds me, I need to update my house thread also.

• olcowhand and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#84 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Looks good.

My home remodel is on an indefinite hiatus.  Never enough time.

#85 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Crown Looks good and the rest is coming along nicely.  Looking forward to see how your counter tops turn out.

#86 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Yesterday afternoon I started assembling the large counter top. Up until this point, I had the actual counter top pieces ripped to 25" x the full 96" sheet size. The filler strips for building the thickness of the top, were ripped down to 3 1/2" wide. These rippings not only help to build the counter top to the 1 1/2" thickness, but they also help in attaching the counter top to the base cabinets.

I kept all of my exposed edges flush and square, while for the non-exposed edges, I kept the top piece overhanging the bottom rippings by 1/4". If I have to sand or cut the non-exposed edges for wall adjustments, I'll only have to sand or cut half the thickness of the countertop. All the rippings were glued and screwed to the bottom side of the counter top.

Today, after the final part of the assembly was done, I started filling the exposed edge faces with auto body filler and then sanded them smooth. I fill my faces like this, due to the rough finish of the factory edges. The factory edges have so many small pockets in them, that it makes it hard for glue to stick and also creates little air pockets once the laminate is installed. I then laid out and cut out the sink opening with the jig saw. 

With the counter top ready to be set into place to see how it fits, I first had to remove the sink, garbage disposal and trap from the sink base cabinet, along with all of the temporary plywood counter tops. Tomorrow, I will temporarily move the fridge to the den, as well as the new pantry cabinet, just so I have a little more room setting the counter top in. Once I have it scribed and fit, I'll pull it out again and start installing the edge laminate. I'll post more again, hopefully tomorrow night.

January 17, 2015 003.JPG January 17, 2015 004.JPG

January 17, 2015 008.JPG

January 17, 2015 010.JPG January 17, 2015 011.JPG

January 17, 2015 012.JPG January 17, 2015 015.JPG

January 17, 2015 013.JPG January 17, 2015 014.JPG

January 17, 2015 022.JPG January 17, 2015 020.JPG

January 17, 2015 021.JPG

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 17, 2015 - 09:32 PM.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#87 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Looking good Troy!  :thumbs:

#88 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Glad to see you are making progress Troy. Looks good.

#89 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Troy, you are better at doing that stuff than I, LOL, nice!

#90 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 05:34 AM