• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 12:09 AM

I think I'd go with painting both trays the lighter brown like the walls, and I like the idea of putting the lighter brown on the bi-fold doors. It gives them a classy look, IMO.

• johndeereelfman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 05:06 AM

I think I'd go with painting both trays the lighter brown like the walls, and I like the idea of putting the lighter brown on the bi-fold doors. It gives them a classy look, IMO.

:ditto: If you don't like it, you can always change it!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#63 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:05 AM

I agree as well.

#64 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Here is today's progress. I took the advice from the gallery, and painted the second tray ceiling the lighter brown. I also got a first coat of white on both fascias. It didn't coat as good as I hoped, so I guess I'll be applying a second coat tomorrow night. Since the walls are done, I installed all of the electrical switches and outlet covers, installed the television, and the lower ceiling recessed can trims. 

Update March 23rd 001.JPG Update March 23rd 002.JPG Update March 23rd 003.JPG Update March 23rd 005.JPG

I never made it to Lowe's this morning like I'd hoped, so sorry guys, no pictures of it yet. However, if you can use a little imagine and can visualize what it will look like, this is what you'll see as soon as you walk in the front door of our house (less cabinets of course)

Update March 23rd 004.JPG

And finally for the night, here is a picture of the wainscoting/chair rail sketch that I came up with and got approval from the wife to use. The "B" locations will actually be the present wall with the lighter brown color. All of the "A" locations will be raised trim painted white. Hopefully you can tell from the sketch what I'm trying to make it look like.

Update March 23rd 007.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#65 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 11:14 PM

That's going to be Nice Troy! Interesting concept on the wainscoating.

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 05:56 AM

Looks good, Troy!

#67 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 09:07 AM

It is coming along nicely Troy. Question, on the one wall (I think it is the back wall) in all the pictures there is one section not painted.  When I was a young lad I worked for painting company for a while and they taught me that you should do one wall at a time, cut in and then roll so that the paint looks the same other wise you will see a difference.  Just curious why that one section isn't painted.

#68 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 10:29 AM

It is coming along nicely Troy. Question, on the one wall (I think it is the back wall) in all the pictures there is one section not painted.  Just curious why that one section isn't painted.

Our upper wall cabinets will be hung in those areas so no need to give a finish coat when it won't be seen. You can probably see that I didn't paint where the lower base cabinets will be installed either. I'm using Benjamin Moore Spec 500 latex paint which isn't a cheap paint, so I don't want to buy any more than I have to. I've used other brands in the past, but now that I've painted with the Benjamin Moore brand, I'll never go back to cheap paint. It is well worth the extra money as you don't see any touch ups, roller marks, or brush marks anywhere. 

• HDWildBill, EricR and oldedeeres have said thanks

#69 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Coming along nicely Troy, very nice entry area. I agree on the BM paint levels out nice.

#70 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:23 AM

That is really looking nice. My dad lowered the ceiling in their house years ago, once we get moved in and settled, I may do that shelved ceiling like that back in the dining room since I have plenty of room to raise it back.

#71 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend, but here is what happened yesterday. Started hanging the upper cabinets, but before I could, I wanted to add a nailing strip to the top part of the cabinets so that I have something to nail the crown molding to. As you can see from the first picture, our cabinet doors are just about the full height of the cabinet frame. I purchased some clear pine 1" x 6" and stained them to try and match the cabinetry stain. The shade is off a bit, but sine you won't see most of it, I left it go. I ripped the pine down to 2 1/2" strips so that I had enough width in order to fasten it to the top of cabinets. I overhung the pine 1" so the the pine would finish flush with the front of our doors. I'm planning on doing the same around the bottom of the cabinets too, but that's for another time. On the exposed ends of the cabinets, I just returned the pine even with the frames and ran an even profile to the wall. 

Update March 30th 001.JPG Update March 30th 002.JPG Update March 30th 003.JPG Update March 30th 004.JPG

Since the pine nailer is attached to the top of the cabinets, I fastened all five cabinets together in this run, so that all we had to do was lift the entire run up on top of the ledger board and anchor them to the walls. I've been having back issues lately, so I grabbed some help from the next door neighbor.

Update March 30th 005.JPG Update March 30th 006.JPG Update March 30th 007.JPG

Now with the cabinets up and anchored, I could then install the shelving and cabinet doors.

Update March 30th 019.JPG Update March 30th 020.JPG Update March 30th 021.JPG

Although I wasn't in the mood to do cabinet crown, I installed one piece just so my wife could get a feel of how things will look when finished. Kind of a teaser.

Update March 30th 027.JPG

Next came the base cabinets. What a pain! Our floors are so out of level, that I needed a build up of 5/8" in a matter of six feet. My only hope is that I can cover the gaps with toe kick and shoe molding when it comes time to do the flooring. Anyway, the base cabinets are all set, on the left side of the kitchen anyway, and the sink lamp is hung back up. Things are finally starting to look like a home again.

Update March 30th 024.JPG

Next, I'll move over to the right side of the kitchen and get all of those wall and base cabinets set, then buy the material and laminate to make the counter tops. At least now, my wife has some cabinets that she can use, and hopefully she can unpack boxes of things that have been setting around waiting for this moment. I'd also like to get the windows and doors trimmed out this week so that that material isn't sitting around anymore either. When we finally get the kitchen and dining room completed, I will then move on into the existing dining room, and change it over to a new den. A man's work is never done!

Attached Thumbnails

• Update March 30th 028.JPG

• HDWildBill and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#72 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Looks good, but I hope your wife is short! That light over the sink look mighty low!

#73 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 05:24 PM

it looks to me like it is coming along quite well.  I never was any good at cutting crown. 

#74 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 05:58 PM

it looks to me like it is coming along quite well.  I never was any good at cutting crown. 

Just have to think upside down!

• johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#75 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Looking good.

I have never done crown and wifey is really digging it when we redo the old dining room. Told her I may buy those decorative corner moldings and then just do butt cuts  :thumbs: