#46 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'm betting Troy will be just as happy as his wife with all the results.  Most of our home improvements are my idea to begin with, and once underway, I wonder why I ever came up with the ideas.  But once things start taking shape, I look back at it and get a mighty good feeling from having done it.

You know me well Daniel. A man after my own heart. 

• olcowhand and JDBrian have said thanks

#47 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:29 PM

I think Daniel hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I know I get mucho satisfaction from doing additions, renovations and repairs around the house.  It is a pile of work though and requires a lot of problem solving and decision making along the way.  When I look at what you have accomplished so far I am pretty impressed. The pictures make it look easy but IME it's anything but easy. Thanks for posting your progress. 

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#48 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Today my wife and mother-in-law got all of the walls, soffits, and ceiling primed. We were given three, five gallon buckets of left over MAB brand latex paint, so we thought we'd use it up as the first coat, instead of going out and buying standard primer. Wasn't sure how well it would coat, but it actually did pretty good. Can't say much about the color, as it is sort of an olive/gray color. It should be fine once she has her finish color on. I have some spots that I'll have to touch up with drywall spackle, but other than that, I'm happy. Only a couple little pin holes to fill, and we should be applying the first finish coat by Thursday!  :dancingbanana:

I cut a 3'-0" piece of white primed baseboard and crown molding, nailed them together, and held them up to where the moldings will be installed in the trays, and my wife smiled! Even though the primer isn't the same color as her finish color, she is really excited about how much the moldings really make the tray ceilings POP. She couldn't visualize the finished look before, but now that she has some colors to put things together with, she is all excited in getting it all done. 

I took pictures of today's progress, but due to the light primer color, you can't tell that anything was even done. I won't post pictures of the crown molding until I have it all installed. I'm sure you'll understand. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, March 19, 2014 - 05:52 AM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#49 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:48 AM

Very nice work, Troy.

About the hinges, based on your location I would be surprised if they weren't made by Wrightsville Hardware Co.  They were an iron foundry that made a whole host of items but they also did the decorative hinges.  If you need any more to complete sets, I believe they're still available at the John Wright store/restaurant in Wrightsville.  They used to have a display of hinges in the store.  I can't guarantee they match the exact pattern but they are at least the same style.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#50 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Jim. As of right now, I have enough hinges. The extra doors up in the attic all have these same type of hinges and hardware, so I can always pull from them if need be.

From what I understand, these hinges were forged at the Brunnerville Foundry, which was located just about a half mile from where we live. There is also a cast counter top mount, hand water pump that is located out in the mud room. They used it to pump rain water out of the cistern to wash their clothing back then. The pump still works and is in great shape, but will eventually be stripped and restored. Just not sure yet where I'm going to mount it. I have an old wooden dry sink cabinet from back in the 40's that my Mom willed to me after her passing, so I might try and incorporate them together like they should be. Just have to find some old tin that I can use to form into a basin for the sink area. That's all a long way off though. Finishing this kitchen and dining room come first. 

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#51 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Wow, and I thought I was neck deep in remodel. That's a lot of work going on there.

When my wife found out that my dad had lowered the ceilings in mom's house years ago and they were actually close to 10' high, her eyes lit up. Didn't help my sisters were prodding her to make me tear them out and raise them back. Not a project I would be looking forward to. We have friends who have that double ceiling and it looks great, I wouldn't mind that in the dining room.

I tried to match some of the old baseboards I had to tear out, would have had to have it special ordered at local mill as it measure between 7/8-1". After he quoted me a price, :wallbanging:  I told him I would make the 3/4" stock work!

I hung a little drywall closing in the bathroom from dining room last night, man what a difference that makes. Plus I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel of completion :smilewink:  :thumbs:

That PEX is the stuff isn't it? I just redid mom's plumbing using all PEX  with crimping, man it is so easy!

Weren't you the one we had the discussion about the Studor vent on the washer and maybe being on the wrong side of trap? Have you used it?

#52 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 06:54 PM

That PEX is the stuff isn't it? I just redid mom's plumbing using all PEX  with crimping, man it is so easy!

Weren't you the one we had the discussion about the Studor vent on the washer and maybe being on the wrong side of trap? Have you used it?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, the PEX was great. Very easy to install, and very quick to install. I spent more time drilling holes through my floor joists than I did installing the piping.

Oh, and yes I'm the one with the studor vent. I did have to change my initial layout, but it's all fixed now and working well. 

#53 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Oh, and yes I'm the one with the studor vent. I did have to change my initial layout, but it's all fixed now and working well. 

What did you change and how?

I just ran my pex under the joyces in basement. Just basically followed the original copper then used the plastic clips screwed into joyces to hold PEX in .

Oh I like the door knobs/plates. I have a few in moms house, was looking at them tonight.I just have the white porcelain knobs. Wished I could find some old skeleton keys that would work. 

#54 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:56 PM

I had to relocate the studor vent between the trap and the main sewer line like you guys thought. My mechanic who installed our gas furnace agreed that the set up I originally had, wouldn't work, so I took it apart and redid it.

I ran my PEX through the floor joist, as our basement ceiling height is only 7'-0" high. Eventually I want to remodel the basement and make a louge room for the kids and a toy room for my other collections. With the piping up in the floor joists, it will make things easier for drywalling later.

My next door neighbor just had a locksmith out to make him a bone key for his backdoor. I think it cost him around $85.00 to get one made. They aren't cheap to get made. We have two for the backdoor, and one for the front door. Since I installed deadbolts on both doors, and keyed alike, we don't even use the bone keys anymore. I'm mostly keeping the original lock sets for originality more than anything. Plus the fact, it's almost impossible to find a new lock set for a 1 1/8" thick door. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#55 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Aahhh, glad you got it worked out before you ran into trouble.

I'm thinking I need ot add one in my line although my drain will not be hooked into the main septic line, but just drained into a tub then outside into the ditch. Figured if I got  ahead and add it, it will provide soem extra breathing in that pipe and if I ever down they road have to connect to septic line, it's already in there.

My floor joyces are low too, but that basement will never be anything more than utility with furnace/ wood burning deep freezers, etc. All the drain pipes hang below joyces too and they would be next to impossible to get up in between them.

We really wouldn't need keys, just be cool to have them. ours are just bedroom doors. Just in case the daughter decides to lock her room, I would still be able to get in.

#56 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Wow, and I thought I was neck deep in remodel. That's a lot of work going on there.

When my wife found out that my dad had lowered the ceilings in mom's house years ago and they were actually close to 10' high, her eyes lit up. Didn't help my sisters were prodding her to make me tear them out and raise them back. Not a project I would be looking forward to. We have friends who have that double ceiling and it looks great, I wouldn't mind that in the dining room.

I tried to match some of the old baseboards I had to tear out, would have had to have it special ordered at local mill as it measure between 7/8-1". After he quoted me a price, :wallbanging:  I told him I would make the 3/4" stock work!

I hung a little drywall closing in the bathroom from dining room last night, man what a difference that makes. Plus I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel of completion :smilewink:  :thumbs:

Depending on how bad you want to match the existing old base you can pad the back of 3/4" material with 1/4" plywood. What I have done is calculate plus scrap for what I need. I rip down 1/4" ply & using a pin nailer fasten it to the back of the 3/4" material. I then go back & run a finish cap on top to look original. This is a lot of work but far less expensive for the 5/4 material & look good too.

• johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#57 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Depending on how bad you want to match the existing old base you can pad the back of 3/4" material with 1/4" plywood. What I have done is calculate plus scrap for what I need. I rip down 1/4" ply & using a pin nailer fasten it to the back of the 3/4" material. I then go back & run a finish cap on top to look original. This is a lot of work but far less expensive for the 5/4 material & look good too.

Yeah, I could space it out with thin material. When my parents bought house in 1971, dad put a sheet of 3/8" drywall over all the old walls to cover up old nasty walls so now the base  boards are only like 3/8" wide where they meet. I'm just trying to match that look. All the new base boards/trims are just butt into the old so no probably trying to match miters, etc.

What do you guys to for rubbage disposal? I have a ton of old drywall and tile I tore out that I can't just throw in trash. I will be tearing out a 24x24 garage ceiling soon too, all the drywall has sagged or fallen and has to be replaced.

Oh, my daugher found out last night....." Oh man, I can lock my door now and no one can get in"

looks like a will need to so figure out the lock/key issue on that door.

#58 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Got the first coat of finish color on the walls tonight, but a second coat will be needed. My wife agreed to do it Monday morning/afternoon, and I'm not going to complain. Tomorrow I'm planning on routering the window sills with a round over bit, sanding and assembling the window extension jambs, and will hopefully have all the door and window trim sanded, primed, and ready to go for first finish coat. Sunday after Church, I'm planning on going to Lowe's to pick up the baseboard and crown molding for the tray ceilings, and hopefully get them primed before the weekend's over. Next week, if my wife get's the second wall coat on, I'll work on getting the wall cabinets and cabinet crown molding installed and hung. I made custom molding for the cabinet tops and bottoms, just to dress them up a little, plus the top molding will give me a little extra nailing surface for the cabinet crown.  

I got my wainscoting and chair rail design approved by the wife, so if all goes well, that will be next weekend's project. This design is very detailed and involves a lot of pieces, so installing this will take quite a bit of time to get done. Will look very sharp though when it's all done, but a lot of work.

Not much to show tonight as far as pictures go, since I was painting all evening, but once the second coat of finish is applied, I'll post some pictures so you guys can see the colors that we picked out. Hopefully it won't all clash. 

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#59 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Sounds like it is getting there, Troy. That is quite the project to do. There is so many little things to work on at one time ina remodel.

#60 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Today's progress went well. I got all of the window extension jambs, sills and trim, and all of the door trims sanded and primed first coat. The kitchen and dining room walls all have their second coat of finish.

Update March 22nd 004.JPG Update March 22nd 005.JPG

We painted the high ceiling a darker brown shade than the lighter wall brown, and will look nice when finished, however I need some advice. Would you paint the second tray ceiling the darker brown as the high ceiling, or would you paint it the lighter brown like the walls? Keep one thing in mind before you give your opinion, and that is, the soffit ceilings (lowest ceiling) will be painted the lighter brown like the walls. I'm thinking of painting the second tray ceiling the darker brown, but I'm just not sure. I don't want the final look to appear stripy. The fascias of each step will have base board and crown molding, and will be painted entirely white. Give me your thoughts as to what you would do.

Update March 22nd 002.JPG Update March 22nd 003.JPG

I"m also looking for your opinion on this look/idea. These are our bi-fold doors for the laundry room. Right now they just have the factory primer on them, but will eventually be painted white like the rest of the trim. I was thinking about painted the flat part of the raised panel the lighter brown like we used on our walls. Do you like it or does it look stupid?

Update March 22nd 006.JPG

Tomorrows plan is to go into Lowe's and get the base board and crown molding. Depending on what you guys come up with, I may get the second tray ceiling painted, and hopefully a second coat of finish on the high ceiling. Long day and night tonight, and hopefully I won't be too tired to accomplish these goals for tomorrow.

• HDWildBill, EricR, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks