125 replies to this topic

#31 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:38 AM

You are correct Jim. The trim and doors are original to the house. The doors are solid wood, but the baseboard is actually two pieces. However, the baseboard wood is exactly 1" thick instead of your normal 3/4" thickness. The door hardware has fancy hinges with scrolling details, the lock sets are all mortised locks and only lock with bone keys. Some of the knobs are a thin metal knob, some are wood knobs, and some are shinny with a wood grain feature. All of the trim was originally stained, but has been painted over with brown paint, I guess to try and make it still look like stained trim. Most of the plint blocks that are shown at the upper corners of the trim, are split, so I'm not sure how many I'll be able to salvage for reuse. Just don't make trim like this anymore.

All I can say if that wood is original to 1889, it has had one heck of a nice refinish or was taken care of immaculately  

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:48 AM

One thing fortunate for us, there is only one layer of wall paper on the walls and ceilings. No paint or primer under them. If we were planning on scraping the paper, it wouldn't be that much work. However, each room will have the plaster walls and ceilings along with the wood lathe removed, so removing wall paper won't be much of an issue!

Ours is all lathe and plaster.  I gutted the bedroom, living room, and laundry room down to bare studs and put up new dry wall.  I didn't do the ceiling as it was in good shape and I rolled it and stomped it out with compound.  Looks good.

The kitchen since I didn't have the cash for all new cabinets and such I left it alone and we painted over the wall paper.  It looks a 100 times better but looks like painted wall paper to me.  It will get fixed up shortly.

#33 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Troy,

The pictures doesn't do your remodel any justice.It looks so much better in person.Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Nice job. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 04:38 PM

That is some serious remodeling Troy, and I especially like the kitchen ceiling.  It all looks great!

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Here is a picture of the back door. Unfortunately, you can't see all of the paint layers, nicks and gauges, but you can see the split in the left side panel. I slowly scraped all of the paint I could with numerous sized chisels, then worked off the rest with a belt sander and palm sander. Once all of the paint was removed, I filled all of the nicks, gauges and the split with bondo auto body filler. I was able to get all of the corners and edges all squared up and crisp again. However, while belt sanding, the belt grabbed a high spot of paint and pulled the door off of my sawhorses, fell to the ground and broke out the glass.  So needless to say, I had to order a new piece of glass. The second picture shows the door after I applied a second coat of primer. The third picture is the type of molding that was used to hold the panels in the door. I didn't like it as I thought it was too large of trim, and it took away the appearance of the raised panels, so I routered out some new thinner molding and ran it around. I think it made a bid difference.

Miscellaneous 15 110.JPG Miscellaneous 15 137.JPG Miscellaneous 15 138.JPG

Here are pictures of the hardware. I completely stripped them of paint, which I might add, the paint was so thick that you couldn't even see the fancy scrolling on the hinge halves. Anyway, I gave them a coat of primer and a coat of white paint made for touching up porcelain appliances, and is supposed to dry hard like porcelain. I figured I'll try it and see how it does. Hopefully it won't come back and bite me later. 

Miscellaneous 15 139.JPG Miscellaneous 15 141.JPG Miscellaneous 15 140.JPG Miscellaneous 15 142.JPG Miscellaneous 15 143.JPG

Here is a picture of one of our favorite knobs. It looks like wood, but it's actually porcelain. It's beautiful. Just a shame that there isn't enough of them to install on all of the doors. There is however, enough to use for the new kitchen and dinning room doors. I apologize. I guess I shouldn't have used our drop leaf table as a background for the knobs. My bad!

Miscellaneous 15 144.JPG Miscellaneous 15 145.JPG

• KennyP, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#36 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Troy, what's the dimensions of the tortoise shell door knob?

I'll dig through my junk boxes.

I need knob diameter, total length, base diameter, and shaft dimensions.

• johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#37 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Cat,

The knob is 2" in diameter. Overall depth is 1 3/4". The base diameter is 3/4", and the shaft dimension 1/4" x 1/4". I'm not exactly sure what the knob neck is made of. I think it's cast, but after cleaning it up with steel wool, it give the appearance of pewter? I'm going to stick with cast though.

Boy, if you could help, that would be greatly appreciated. We have found glass knobs, tin knobs, and wooden knobs, but none like this. These knobs are beautiful, and my wife loves them. Right now we have a total of four I believe. We'd like to find at least two more if possible. Keep me posted if you find any, and let me know through a PM on how much you want for them.

#38 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:04 PM

If I find a couple/few, I'll toss em in a box and send them on their way. If I find 20 of them, I want a RF.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

I knew I had one in the garage, but it's the oval/cat's eye style and it's cracked. Most of the junk boxes are out in the shed, however. I'll get the FIL on it too, he's got way more of this stuff than I do.

• johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#39 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:32 PM

A round fender? Boy, this is going to cost me more than I thought. Wow Cat, you sure drive a hard bargin. If you find 20 of them though, I guess we could work something out. I have one or two round fenders I could put together for you. Somehow though, this seems like I'm getting the wrong end of the deal. I mean after all, you're getting a round fender, and my wife is getting her knobs. Me? What am I getting? One less tractor for the collection!  :(

• KennyP and Cat385B have said thanks

#40 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:59 PM

My wife has a thing for door knobs or anything old, that's a good thing because she'll always enjoy me :) If your using these favorite knobs on a closet door or a room that you keep the door opened against the wall use something else on the inside. Most of these work on both sides of the lockset.
  • JDBrian and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#41 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:03 AM

A round fender? Boy, this is going to cost me more than I thought. Wow Cat, you sure drive a hard bargin. If you find 20 of them though, I guess we could work something out. I have one or two round fenders I could put together for you. Somehow though, this seems like I'm getting the wrong end of the deal. I mean after all, you're getting a round fender, and my wife is getting her knobs. Me? What am I getting? One less tractor for the collection!  :(

Your getting a happy wife!  Priceless for a happy home! :poke:  :rolling:

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#42 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Yep, You know what they say." Happy Wife-Happy Life" -priceless!

#43 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:04 AM

Yep, You know what they say." Happy Wife-Happy Life" -priceless!

:ah_shoot: As much as I hate to admit it, I guess you guys are right. These are the price we must pay sometimes for happiness and contentment. Thanks guys for keeping me in line and on the straight, but narrow, path!  :thumbs:

• JDBrian, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Troy, don't let CAT BS you... He'd take any old GT... Even a Homelite. :D

He might even go for some catnip.
  • JDBrian and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm betting Troy will be just as happy as his wife with all the results.  Most of our home improvements are my idea to begin with, and once underway, I wonder why I ever came up with the ideas.  But once things start taking shape, I look back at it and get a mighty good feeling from having done it.

• JDBrian, johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks