23 Hp Kohler Courage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buddy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45481
  • 147 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have a 23 Hp Kohler Courage in a Cub Cadet 1050.

Have any of you run into any starting issues like decompression or valves out of adjustment ?

I have one that kicks back like a engine is out of time or a weak battery. That is what it sounds like . LOL!!

I remember that some engines that the rocker arm studs would back out and get everything out of adjustment.

Any problems on these Kohler's ????

I have not tore into this one yet but just asking around.

I just bought it last fall ,it only has a 155 hrs on the clock.

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have not heard many good things about that engine.I know thats not what you want to hear the ones I have seen break open down the block.Maybe some of the guys that work on some of the newer machines can chime in.

I love the old Kohlers they were hard to beat

• superaben and Buddy have said thanks

#3 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 460 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I had about a half dozen of the courage's come into work that acted like that.  Turned out every one of them sheared the flywheel key.  It was a funny shaped wood ruff key that had an offset.  I just took a plain steel one and filed the side to fit and haven't had a problem with any of them since.  Had one come in that the customer had bought at tractor supply with only 15 hrs on it that smoked like crazy cause it split the block wide open next to the exhaust cam, and one we sold new that started smoking and leaking oil at around 20 hrs cause the cylinder bores were out of round.  Needles to say we stopped selling the low end machines cause they were just too much of a headache to keep running.  Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's what I've run into.       Stewart 

Edited by diesel nut, March 16, 2014 - 09:26 PM.

• KennyP, sacsr, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Everyone is right, a Kohler Courage is a cheap engine made for big "economy" manufacturers like MTD.  Its Kohler's price point engine, just to be competitive. 

As long as you realize that and take care of it accordingly, it will be a fine engine.  However, they are known for problems.

The only Courage involved is what the buyer needs to buy it!

Ben W.

• Buddy said thank you

#5 Buddy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45481
  • 147 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I will check that flywheel key first.

I will also check the valve adjustment.

This tractor did belong to a friend who kept it very nice, thing looks like new.

He just got tired of having trouble with the cranking issue.

I offered to look into repairing it for him but, I think he just wanted another tractor. I believe he used the starting issue as a excuse to buy another tractor.

LOL...    He has a woman to deal with ...LOL....