Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2014!

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2014 (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2014

1. Bantam 5000 - cglisson01 (5 votes [5.81%])

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

2. Rototiller B1-3 - earthgrinder (24 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

3. Massey Ferguson MF10 - DanP (33 votes [38.37%])

Percentage of vote: 38.37%

4. Voted Cub Cadet 123 - rdehli (10 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

5. Case 222 - bowtiebutler956 (14 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of April has now officially started and will end the last day of March. This month's theme is "Before and After".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of April and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 5 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Bantam 5000 - cglisson01
  • Rototiller B1-3 - earthgrinder
  • Massey Ferguson MF10 - DanP
  • Cub Cadet 123 - rdehli
  • Case 222 - bowtiebutler956

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• MYMF10, Newpaws493, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#2 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:53 PM

I would like to nominate my 1952 Bantam 5000 made by the Standard Manufacturing Company in Lebanon Indiana. I acquired this piece in 2008 from a local tractor collector who bought it from a guy that was cleaning off their property and was getting ready to scrap it. He told me that the guy said he had it for years and he used to let his kids ride around the yard on it when they were little until the engine blew up. After the engine blew, he removed it from the tractor and pushed it to the back of the property at the edge of the woods where it sat for years. And as a result of many years being exposed to the elements it was starting to deteriorate pretty bad. It was definitely in need of a full blown restoration. Other than the motor, it was all complete so it had that much going for it, and I just couldn't wait to bring it back to life.

When I started the restoration the first thing I did was tear it apart and stripped it down to bare metal. Then I worked all the dents out and put it in primer. After that, I took the transmission and rear axle apart, cleaned them, freshened all the grease, and put them back together. I then carefully prepped all the parts and began laying down the paint. After it dried I began the reassembly process. I put all new tires on it that match the same tread as the old ones that was on it. I was able to find a original style briggs and stratton and put back in it. The restoration took about 5 months to complete and its a big hit at all the shows.

Some of the neat features about this tractor is it has a cast iron seat and grill, and a aluminum steering wheel. Another unusual thing about this tractor is it has some different options than other bantams came with. It has full fenders that cover the rear tires, a foot operated belt tensioner, and a emergency brake lever. 

Attached Thumbnails

• download-6.jpeg
  • download-5.jpeg

Edited by cglisson01, March 07, 2014 - 08:32 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 20 others have said thanks

#3 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 844 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:21 PM

I nominate my 1943 or 44 Rototiller B1-3.  The data tag is missing so there is no way to tell exactly when it was built.  I bought this Rototiller B1-3 in August of 2000 for $100.  Back then I was a rookie in the collector hobby and could not believe I just paid $100 for something that was completely rusted.  The wheels turned but everything else was stuck.  I was able to free up the levers and removed the sheet metal.  For the next 6 years it sat.  I kept putting penetrating oil of all brands in the cylinder and down the exhaust stack.  Finally in 2006, after seeing a similar tiller belonging to a collector friend running at Rough & Tumble, I got the inspiration to finally get it restored.  I had made a heavy plate with large jack bolt on in place of the head to put pressure on the piston.  Over a year’s time, I would put oil in the rap the bolt with a 3 pound hammer with pressure on the piston.   Nothing happened.  I got aggressive and put my ½” impact wrench on it and promptly pulled the top of the cylinder off just below the threaded holes for the head studs.  That gave me a sick feeling and thought that was it.  I was this far and decided to disassemble the remainder of the engine.  I split the bottom cases to find the crankpin was broken - sick again.  I am thinking a $100 down the drain.  I took the cylinder with the still stuck piston to work and put it in our shop’s 100 ton press.   It took 6 ton of force to push that piston out.   The piston was still useable.

After all of this I thought I have one chance.  I called my collector friend who had a similar machine to see if he might have a parts machine.  I was fortunate; he had the parts I needed from a parts machine he bought.  I got the crankshaft, connecting rod, and piston.  I got new rings from Otto Gas Engine Works.  I was good to go.  I took everything to where I worked and bead blasted all parts, then primed and painted everything.  The tiller hood was shot, but I noticed the hood was assembled in pieces using a duct work seam called a Pittsburg Joint.  A fellow at my church owns a sheet metal shop and his son made the sheet metal for the hood and I welded the bracing inside.  I also had to fabricate one of the flaps that drags on the ground while tilling.  I had to buy another magneto and was fortunate enough to find one on eBay.

It is now 2007, a week before the summer show at Rough & Tumble.  I had quite a time getting it started, but the day before it was time to load up for the show, it fired up.  The carburetor was not in great shape because it sat outside for quite some time and was pitted badly.  I found out that Crosley cars used that carburetor and bought a nicely rebuilt one.  The motor ran better.  I used this tiller to work my garden after plowing.  Needless to say I have much much more money in this tiller than it will ever be worth, but to me it was worth it to hear it come to life again after sitting deserted for quite some time.  

You can see more photos of the process on my website photo Album:

http://www.zucksroto...B1-3/index.html

You can see the tiller in action in the following YouTube video:

http://youtu.be/b-7BpyYU8E4

Scan272.jpg 100_2041.jpg 100_2042.jpg IMG_0169.JPG

• olcowhand, DougT, MH81 and 23 others have said thanks

#4 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:48 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by DanP, March 12, 2014 - 11:14 AM.

• olcowhand, bread320i, MH81 and 18 others have said thanks

#5 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I would like to nominate my 1967 Cub Cadet 123 The first hydro that Cub Cadet made . This tractor rolled off the assembly line in Louisville the week after Labor Day 1967 3 months to the week before I was born. It was sold new at a IH dealership in Cashton Wisconsin that fall 5 years later was brought back to the dealership in pieces, the owner evidently blew up the hydro trans. How he did this we will never know. I bought parts at this dealership for years. One day in the winter of 2003 got the 25 cent tour and got to see the warehouse. Sitting on a pallet way up high was this skeleton of a parts tractor. I crawled up to find a cub cadet 123 in pieces it was 99% there from what I could see. Then I got brave and asked questions about it and if it was for sale . The parts man asked the boss and we agreed on a price and I brought the carcass home. I felt like a hunter who just bagged the 30 point buck. Little did I realize how much work was ahead of me.

I showed my wife , she rolled her eyes and smiled. She said I hope your happy. So now that the green light was passed I started locating the few missing parts. Then came the blasting ,priming and painting. It took my 1 and 1/2 years from start to finish. and I lost track of the hours, but so very rewarding. In the middle of the project I had my doubts if I was ever going to get it finished. But in the end it all turned out ok.

Looking back on the project, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. it was fun and my eldest daughter and I had some great daddy daughter time. Thanks Rob

Pics of it when I brought home and the start of the restoration.

123 hood (Custom).jpg  123 frame , rear (Custom).jpg  2006_0422Image0069 (Custom).JPG

2006_0422Image0070 (Custom).JPG  2006_0422Image0071 (Custom).JPG  2006_0422Image0075 (Custom).JPG

And now fully restored. This tractor now is in semi retirement duty. I let my daughters pull the lawn sweeper and a few other odd jobs but nothing to taxing. It has earned its place in the fleet .

123 side 1 (Medium) (Custom).JPG  123 side 2 (Medium) (Custom).JPG  123 back (Medium) (2) (Custom).JPG

123 front (Medium) (Custom).JPG  123 motor (Medium) (Custom) (2).JPG

Edited by NUTNDUN, March 16, 2014 - 07:06 PM.

• MH81, Delmar, trowel and 8 others have said thanks

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 03:14 PM

I would like to nominate my Case 222. This is a very special GT to me, as it was given to me by a close friend a couple days before he died. My friends name was Gary, and he had been battling with cancer of the spine for awhile. I went and spent a couple days in the hospital with him near the end, and during that time he said he wanted me to have his Case. He had always meant to fix it up, but never got around to it. He said he knew I'd make it look like new, so that is what I set out to do. 

The GT was still solid, but tired. The Kohler K301 was running alright, but I decided to open it up to check everything out, and I'm glad I did, as it had a wrist pin clip that had come out of the piston, and was wearing a groove in the cylinder. It required boring .020 to clean the cylinder up. The carburetor throttle shaft was also very wore out, so I installed a bushing in it. The engine runs great now.

The mower deck was the worst part of the GT, as everything was wore out on it. The aluminum spindle housing were so corroded that I couldn't rebuild them, and the deck was missing a baffle underneath. The discharge shoot was missing as well. I found a set of good used cast iron spindle housing to rebuild, and I made a new baffle for the underside of the deck, and welded it in. I tried locating a used discharge soot for it, but this is the somewhat uncommon center discharge deck, so I didn't find one. I ended up fabricating one. It turned out decent. 

I really enjoyed this project as I spent alot of time remembering all the good times Gary, and I had over our 20 or so years of friendship. When it was finished, I had some decals made for it, that serve as a memorial to Gary. On the front, and rear of the tractor, it reads (Gary's Case).  Thanks

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08906 (800x600).jpg
  • DSC08908 (800x600).jpg
  • DSC08909 (800x600).jpg
  • DSC08919 (800x600).jpg
  • DSC09037 (1280x960).jpg
  • DSC09010 (1280x960).jpg
  • SANY0537 (1280x960).jpg
  • SANY0544 (1280x960).jpg
  • DSC09071 (1280x960).jpg
  • DSC09072 (1280x960).jpg
  • P1030006 (800x600).jpg
  • P1030007 (800x600).jpg
  • P1030009 (800x600).jpg
  • DSC09079 (1280x960).jpg
  • SANY0578 (1280x960).jpg
  • DSC09052 (1280x960).jpg

Edited by bowtiebutler956, March 13, 2014 - 03:18 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 11 others have said thanks

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Get them votes in gang.

• trowel, BTS and Gabriel have said thanks

#8 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:54 AM

All are great looking garden tractors, looks like a lot of work went into all of them.

I've always wanted to make a narrow front, I'm not sure why, always thought it would be some fun to plow the garden with.

Now seeing that M-F I really want to build one :D

Thanks for all the pictures and info on these great looking GT :worshippy1:

#9 mavtoy ONLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 06:02 PM

I think everyone done a super job on all the different ones but the Massey really stands  proud. I nominate  the Massey-Ferguson 10

Edited by mavtoy, March 21, 2014 - 06:12 PM.

• DanP said thank you

#10 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Man, I'm feeling pretty bad about my entry

#11 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Don't feel bad about the Bantam! It looks great!

• cglisson01 and Gabriel have said thanks

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Don't feel bad about the Bantam! It looks great!

I agree! One reason I think it's neat, is because the company who made it was in my state!

Edited by Gabriel, March 22, 2014 - 09:57 PM.

• cglisson01 said thank you

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Wow, What a great group of tractors we have, this is going to be a tough choice for sure.

Thanks everyone who entered.

#14 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Man, I'm feeling pretty bad about my entry

Don't feel bad about your Bantam, its really neat. Yours is the most unusual one I've ever seen. I've never seen one with some of the features yours has. I've owned my 3000 since I was a child, until recently when I gave it to my son Danny. They are really  great little tractors, and I'd say yours is a very rare one! :thumbs:

Matt

• LPBolens, cglisson01 and Gabriel have said thanks

#15 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Wow! Some very nice looking tractors :thumbs:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured, tractor