4 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:00 AM

You can buy new 39 spline shaft steering wheels or find many good old ones to repair the loose and wobbly steering wheels on the pre1978 Allis/Simplicity tractors, one step left out of the video is the shortening of the spline stub shaft and drilling it like the collar top shaft hole. The spline stub should fit halfway down the outside collar, not all the way

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Bill 76 have said thanks

#2 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Doesn't that split sleeve on the original wheel fit over a solid shaft steering column.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Doesn't that split sleeve on the original wheel fit over a solid shaft steering column.

I'm not 100 percent sure what you mean Phil, but that's what I'm using. I cut off a small stub of a solid steering shaft, ala Cub, Deere, Ariens, Massey and slipped it down into the split sleeve, then drilled a second hole for the stub shaft to be bolted to the split sleeve and the split sleeve to be bolted to the Allis column, but maybe I don't understand what your asking, I can take another video of the finished product and maybe clear things up a bit. And for certain if I'm missing something your saying I want to know.

#4 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I'm sure it is just my lack of understanding but I would certainly like to see how it is mounted to the tractor. I just have trouble seeing how it mates up. What I've seen so far is pretty ingenious. I had a steering wheel on an 1981-82, 916H that had a cracked hub. I bought a new one from Sandy Lake (very last one) and the rim on the darn thing snapped like a twig. I got a refund credit against an early model steering wheel that has the split sleeve. It of course would not fit the 1981 steering shaft so I bought a used circa mid 1970's shaft from a forum buddy..... I am yet to do the swap out.

Edited by skunkhome, March 18, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:09 PM

I'm sure it is just my lack of understanding but I would certainly like to see how it is mounted to the tractor. I just have trouble seeing how it mates up. What I've seen so far is pretty ingenious. I had a steering wheel on an 1981-82, 916H that had a cracked hub. I bought a new one from Sandy Lake (very last one) and the rim on the darn thing snapped like a twig. I got a refund credit against an early model steering wheel that has the split sleeve. It of course would not fit the 1981 steering shaft so I bought a used circa mid 1970's shaft from a forum buddy..... I am yet to do the swap out.

I'll take pictures tomorrow, I was going to do today, but my 1970 Bolens 1476 Large Frame arrived, I think you'll like the final product and how it can be used with newer no cracking steering wheels. That's what happened to me. I broke my steering wheel then got a used one and it crumbled like a cracker first turn.