Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Far; Would You Go...have You Gone...to Pick Up A Garden Tractor?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:12 AM

The farthest that I have traveled is about 3-4 hours.  It would have to be real special for a further trip.

• hamman and Delmar have said thanks

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:30 AM

If shipping and whatever else sort of kind of transportation can be included, I have

a tale to tell. It's right here.

It's a bit of reading, but we had a lot of fun with it.

In a Readers Digest condensed version : I had a Massey Ferguson Elf crated, trucked

from Denmark to Belgium, put in a container, shipped to Montreal Can., railed to Toronto

where I drove 3 hour to get it. I've never added up the mileage, and yep, I'm crazy. :D  :rolling:

Yes, seems a bit over the edge, but man, have I ever had a bunch of fun with it, and everything

that has anything to do with it.

As said already. If it's the right one, there is no limit as to how far to go.

• DH1, MH81, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:43 AM

My furthest trip, solely to get a tractor was round trip of 800+ miles.  Those kind of purchases are likely history for me.  Just not enough time nor money to make hauls like that.

#19 cglisson01 ONLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:45 AM

I drove a 14 hour round trip to south carolina for a 1.5 hp. United hit miss engine. Was beautiful scenery going through the mountains.

#20 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Currently I have gone about 300 miles round trip for a GT & attachments.

The mileage is important in the deal, so if it is something I really want, and the price is right, I can drive farther....Understand?

#21 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:49 AM

If shipping and whatever else sort of kind of transportation can be included, I have

a tale to tell. It's right here.

It's a bit of reading, but we had a lot of fun with it.

In a Readers Digest condensed version : I had a Massey Ferguson Elf crated, trucked

from Denmark to Belgium, put in a container, shipped to Montreal Can., railed to Toronto

where I drove 3 hour to get it. I've never added up the mileage, and yep, I'm crazy. :D  :rolling:

Yes, seems a bit over the edge, but man, have I ever had a bunch of fun with it, and everything

that has anything to do with it.

As said already. If it's the right one, there is no limit as to how far to go.

The main thing in this hobby is the fact that you enjoy the hobby and that you have fun doing it with no regrets!

As long as the utility bills are paid and the other house-hold items are taken care of, I can do what ever I desire with my GT's!.......as long as momma says it's ok!

• hamman, IamSherwood, Delmar and 1 other said thanks

#22 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:20 AM

WOW, everyone travels so far, I don't go any further then 50 to 60 miles (one way) and that's if it's good and cheap.

Then again, my pickup is a '81 chevy 1 ton, I don't like going real far in it, besides it gets 9mpg so I can't afford going very far either.

• hamman, Delmar and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:22 AM

I used to make those 1500 mls trip once or twice a yr, to get stuff I wanted from the east coast. That was back when gas was cheaper and I was younger. Now days I'm only looking for a few things, and don't like the long drives out and back. Probally cheaper to have stuff shipped then drive any more.

#24 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Four hours one way is about it for me. My favorite is convincing people that I'm real and will show up even though I'm two states away. CL has many a seller who has been burned by no shows.
  • hamman, Delmar, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#25 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,241 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I guess around 500 miles. Picked up a MF7 and the DB725 at Danville PA Plow Day.

#26 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Ok, as far as I know, the most miles I've driven personally to pick up a tractor has been Wake Forest to just the other side of Atlanta Ga, about 450 miles one way.  I picked up two commercial Gravelys and a bunch of gravely stuff that I won on ebay.  Now, I arranged for my Dad to pick up a commercial 10 down around Tampa Fl. ( about 670 miles ) when he was visiting and traveling around for his own reasons.  He rented  a Uhaul and brought it back.   LOL, I paid for it, then he got to use it for several years.  

I think I have Will beat on the tractor shipping department.  I convinced Dad to bring the Gravely tractor I used in Zambia back to the US, along with the mower deck and plow.  A check of Google maps shows one way trip of 7765 miles at a minimum.

• IamSherwood and Delmar have said thanks

#27 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:56 PM

I have gone about 1200 miles round trip to get my 52' Power King and attachments out in Cleveland, OH, and I would do it again for the right deal. :D  

• Delmar said thank you

#28 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I've been able to pick up all my garden tractors locally.  However I have gone 900 miles round trip and 15 hours of driving to pickup my Farmall 560D.  And it is still waiting to be restored.

• Delmar said thank you

#29 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I went to Livonia Michigan from Dayton Ohio to get a parts tractor for the deck and came back to the same area 2 weeks later to pick up another parts tractor,then later the same year went to flint Michigan for a snowblower attachment and the next year to the Coldwater area for another deck and snowblower attachment. The first tractor was too good to part so it got another motor and got the plow for snow duty for about 5 years and has the same type of deck that it had before and is back up mower.

• Delmar said thank you

#30 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi,
I've made 2 trips to Fl from Indiana to pickup Economy/PK tractors and parts. I've been to Arkansas to pickup a gt with fel. I'm going to Fl in early April to pickup another Power King.
They have all been trips that the wife and I and sometimes another couple travel together and alway included side trips/vacation stops. I've also been to just south of Atlanta to pickup a load of gts that I hauled for a friend(received a tractor from the load for payment).
The longest trip solely for tractor(s) is 5 hrs one way.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, March 16, 2014 - 08:22 PM.

• Delmar and tinbender7 have said thanks