14 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Last year, I was looking through the old shop at the golf course that I work at and saw and engine on a portable "skid". I asked my boss if I could have it and he said yes. I pulled it out and found out that it was an old McCulloch generator. I brought it home and it fired right up, it is hard to pull because of the design of the generator. Most that you see are a "barrel" shape, McCulloch used a "pancake" shape. I did some researching and couldn't find much about them. I did find out that I got one of the bigger units that they made.

Then, back towards Christmas time, I was a an older local hardware store and found that he had one sitting under a tarp with a bunch of other stuff. When I asked him about it, he said he wasn't ready to sell it yet. Today my brother and I went down to look for something and he told me he was ready to sell it since he knew it would be going to a good home. I got it, an old Jacobsen Lawn Queen and a small air compressor for less than $100. We got everything home and unloaded. I gave the Jacobsen to my brother since I owed him a couple dollars and I didn't really want it. I sprayed some starting fluid in the generator and it fired right up. The shroud for the generator is a little banged up, but is still fairly nice.

The first one I got is an earlier model with a 7hp engine and still has the old Mc logo on it. The one I got today is slightly newer with an 8hp engine on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00170.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Don't see very many of thoses, nice finds. I think the ''pancake'' type made for a tighter foot print.

• superaben and suburban 12 have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thast neat, Never seen one before. I like em!

• suburban 12 said thank you

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:09 PM

Don't see very many of thoses, nice finds. I think the ''pancake'' type made for a tighter foot print.

Yes, the "pancake" was to save space and a little weight, I can pick them up and move them on my own if I need to.

• trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Not to steal your thread but here is mines.

Carry with one hand, throw into trunk of a car and sits nice under the work bench out of the way.

I think i have seen one like mines but with the pankcake gen head.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2peaches.JPG

Edited by trowel, March 15, 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• farmerall and suburban 12 have said thanks

#6 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:34 PM

That is a cool little generator, what brand is it? Want to sell it?

• trowel said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Neat little gennies.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:33 PM

That is a cool little generator, what brand is it? Want to sell it?

No, i think i will keep it a while, nimble little thing.

When i got it :

http://gardentractor...view=getnewpost

#9 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ok, let me know if you ever decide you want to sell it, would be awesome to add to the collection.

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:01 PM

I will, in the mean time i will keep an eye out for another ones for you.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 02:39 AM

Those pancake generators were popular with several plumbers that I knew 30 years ago. That was the only place that I saw them. Were they more expensive or cheaper than the regular ones? One of the plumbers had said that it was a Christmas gift from his supply house. Maybe they all were. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 07:07 AM

I had one of those McCulloch generators. Mine was a7hp 3kw model with a Briggs. Bought it from a friend of my father with low hours on it. I think it was built around 1974. The generators are permanent magnet with the magnet mounted on the crank and the stator coils around the outside. The design does not require any brushes. That's why it's so hard to turn over. It has all that magnet weight as a flywheel. Have you noticed how long it takes the engine to stop. Mine was 240/120volts out. I had problems with 1 side of the 240 being weak and traced it to a bad connection where the flat copper stator winding was connected to a terminal. Once that was fixed it worked pretty well. I think it would run for about 2 hours on the 1 gallon tank. I read somewhere that they tended to take out the crank bearing because of all that weight on the end of the crank. Mine always vibrated a lot and was very loud with only a hotdog muffler on it. I sold it when I got a PTO powered generator for my diesel tractor. They are a pretty unique design and not that common.

• trowel, boyscout862 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Never looked into it but i think mines is permanent magnet too, now that i think of it i never looked into seeing if it has brushes or a communicator ring ?

On the ID tag it stated it was built for radio towers and such so i can't help but wonder what wave lenth it kicks out ? modified sine wave ? radios are sensitive, i do plan on lining the fuel tank this spring if i have time.

#14 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:20 AM

I had one of those McCulloch generators. Mine was a7hp 3kw model with a Briggs. Bought it from a friend of my father with low hours on it. I think it was built around 1974. The generators are permanent magnet with the magnet mounted on the crank and the stator coils around the outside. The design does not require any brushes. That's why it's so hard to turn over. It has all that magnet weight as a flywheel. Have you noticed how long it takes the engine to stop. Mine was 240/120volts out. I had problems with 1 side of the 240 being weak and traced it to a bad connection where the flat copper stator winding was connected to a terminal. Once that was fixed it worked pretty well. I think it would run for about 2 hours on the 1 gallon tank. I read somewhere that they tended to take out the crank bearing because of all that weight on the end of the crank. Mine always vibrated a lot and was very loud with only a hotdog muffler on it. I sold it when I got a PTO powered generator for my diesel tractor. They are a pretty unique design and not that common.

My older one is either a 3kw or a 3.5kw like the newer one, it only has 115/210 out. The one I just got has Jan. 9, 1980 printed on the generator flywheel. I'm surprised you only got  about 2 hours out of a tank, I can get roughly 4 hours out of one tank with my older one. Both of mine have the typical little muffler you see on most Briggs small engines, which is still very loud. 

• trowel said thank you

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:04 PM

My military generator when the muffler blew off, my ears popped,................

Attached Thumbnails

• SG-1500.jpg
  • SG-1500_.jpg

Edited by trowel, March 16, 2014 - 08:05 PM.

• suburban 12 said thank you