• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 10:07 AM

Likely get to do little to nothing to the JB this week. Busy as a bee. Today I've got to prepare to haul grain to the feed mill, vet check paperwork to get caught up, bed the free stalls with sawdust, clean under the calf hutches, then vet check tomorrow morning, and also trim several cow's feet ready to go dry. Soon as the guy is ready to haul the corn, have to work that in too. But I know I should get some "JB time", even if just a little.

#93 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Daniel, :yelclap:Running the tractor around your place is very exciting news, Way To Go my friend,:thumbs: Congrats on a running roller! Like me, if we can get our work out of the way, maybe we can work on our play things...Good Luck today

#94 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Wow. Can't wait for more pictures and video. Clearly you are setting the bar very high for anyone else planning a diesel re-power in the near future.

JN

#95 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:16 AM

If someone had been there to tape the maiden voyage, the iris would've been shut down by the brilliant smile I bet.
I'd have been grinning from ear-ear. So very happy for you that it's under it's own power! :thumbs:

#96 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Congrats on the maiden ride Daniel. You are definitely making huge progress on your repower project especially considering your limited free time from farm duty :D :thumbs:

#97 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Dan,
Congrats on the maiden voyage!!! Gotta feel GREAT just to have it move under its own power.
Peter

#98 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Actually, I'm kind of glad nobody was taking video, as it wasn't so pretty, and would have been embarrassing. Trying to keep such a tight grip on a smooth rod less than 1/4" thick was tricky. Tough to hold on neutral, and just off it either way & it would pull itself hard to full speed. One time I was booking along at full speed forward, then went to go to neutral. I went too far too fast & it shot past into full speed reverse. You all know what that did! :rofl2: Yep, almost sent me over the steering wheel! Then at the same instant, I over-corrected & did the same thing forward! And the lock for the sliding seat isn't bolted in place...so you know what that did.......yep, me and the entire seat almost slid off the back of the machine! :bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:
A video of the whole event would have been priceless to you guys.:D

So far I'm getting a lot of farm work completed, but doubt I'll get any video today either....snowing fairly heavy right now, and still more work to get done.

BTW....do you guys like my new avatar?

#99 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 03:54 PM

Good deal!! Now that I know the tricks to driving it, I'm gonna have to sneak down there and take it for a spin while you work:dancingbanana:

Heck, I'll even help out with some paint here and there while your not in the shop--- GREEN :bounce:

#100 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 06:04 PM

All kidding aside, amazing what you have got done to the JB project considering your dad's surgery, farm tasks, and the weather.
:urock:

#101 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Meangreen, green primer is fine with me! :rofl2: Knock yourself out! :D
Got an hour or so after finishing all I had to get done today, so started working on the throttle control. Making a friction held system. The rod has to be pushed & luckily I had a high grade 5/16 control rod off an old tiller. I countersunk two Y-headed bolts into a large washer & bolted to the side of the dash. The washer the throttle arm is welded to is pulled tight against the washer bolted to the dash by a spring inside the dash. The 1/2" bolt is welded to outer washer & the threaded section I ground square, leaving enouth threads on the 4 corners for retaining nuts. The inner nut tightens the spring, then another nut locks the arm that connects to the rod. Hard to make square holes for the plate that goes onto the squared bolt, so I used a bearing retainer plate to get the clean square 3/8" hole & welded a piece of strap to it for the throttle rod to go into. Forgot to take a pic of the plate with square hole. Almost have it mechanically finished, but need to heat & bend an angle on the rod tomorrow. Not figured exactly how to dress it up a bit, or what type of handle for the arm.
DSC00246.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00247.jpg

#102 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I countersunk two Y-headed bolts
Posted Image

What the heck is a Y headed bolt ?

#103 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Congratulations on your "first ride," Daniel. Glad the drive-line all worked for you. Your story about trying to hold onto that rod, and instantly slipping back and forth from forward to reverse, sounded like a riot!! I was laughing just thinking about the look on your face!! Sort of reminded me of watching someone ride a bull... Yeee - Haaa!!!!!

#104 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:19 PM

BTW....do you guys like my new avatar?

I love it. What kind of cow is that with such nice teeth?

#105 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:52 PM

What the heck is a Y headed bolt ?

Oh heck, my mind is just drawing a blank for what you call them....guess it's a countersunk headed bolt! LOL