• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Dash work is finished, after running into a snag. The factory engine's wiring had the charge wire hardwired inside the harness to the battery wire, so I could only get a discharge reading from the ammeter. Ran a new wire from the battery to the ammeter, so all works as it should. Took most of the day to do all the dash building/wiring, but worth it. The dash panel is chock full, but held all I needed it to.

#64 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 09:58 AM

The dash panel is chock full

You didn't leave room for a GPS unit? With a gallon fuel tank and good diesel fuel economy I'm guessing you will be able to wander a great distance from home base and you may come to regret not installing GPS to find the way home. Other than that one omission it sure looks like you are progressing very nicely!

JN

#65 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'll be welding up my own fuel tank when I get to it, but that's way down the road. It will likely hold around 5 gallons and will have a mechanical fuel gauge I'm taking out of the fuel tank of the asphalt sealing machine the engine came off. It simply screws into a pipe threaded coupler, welded into the top of the tank.
As to GPS, I already have a TomTom, with the suction grip holder, so once I get a good smooth paint job on it, my GPS will stick just fine.....no getting lost.:D

#66 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:08 PM

no getting lost

If you do get lost and end up in my neck of the woods you can hang here for a couple of days. I'd like to get a close up view of that bad boy when you get it going!

JN

#67 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Daniel ,

This build just keeps looking better, Thanks for all the photo's.

GREAT JOB !!

#68 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 05:26 PM

My longer flywheel bolts are in & the wife is picking them up for me. Bad thing is, she's also picked up the clutch kit for the little loader, so my time has to go to getting the loader up & running first. I know I can work on the diesel project Saturday....my next day off cow duty. I need to get a throttle control rigged up besides the driveshaft all connected. Can't wait to drive this thing!

#69 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Might get to use my bolts tomorrow after all. The clutch disc & pilot for my loader are the wrong parts. Looks like the pressure plate is correct. I'll have to call them tomorrow & see if they can get the right disc in by Wednesday morning. And I thought I found a good parts man. I even left my old parts with him, but it's clear he never looked at them. Oh well, I get to play with the diesel project tomorrow!

#70 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Might get to use my bolts tomorrow after all. The clutch disc & pilot for my loader are the wrong parts. Looks like the pressure plate is correct. I'll have to call them tomorrow & see if they can get the right disc in by Wednesday morning. And I thought I found a good parts man. I even left my old parts with him, but it's clear he never looked at them. Oh well, I get to play with the diesel project tomorrow!

Doggone the bad luck anyway Dan! Sorry to hear that you got the wrong parts. I guess you'll just have to suck it up and play with the diesel re-power instead LOL!

#71 straub OFFLINE  

straub

• Member No: 58
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Why don't you get one of those magnifier lenses for your welding helmet? They work good.
Mike

#72 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:37 PM

doggone the bad luck anyway dan! Sorry to hear that you got the wrong parts. I guess you'll just have to suck it up and play with the diesel re-power instead lol!

ditto !

#73 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your parts problem Daniel. Bad enough when a guy has to order and wait for parts... even worse when they come in and are the wrong ones!!

The JBI dash is looking good!!!

#74 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I may or may not get the driveshaft coupler installed today. I really need to dehorn heifers today & give shots. As I said, no shortage of jobs to do. The large open calf pens could use the sawdust tilled also, as it forms a tough packed surface & will last a lot longer if tilled & mixed. May do that today also.

#75 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 09:47 PM

Brian, member "texasdeere&horse" is fixing me up with a complete disc brake setup off a JD140, from pedal to disc! This JD used the same hydro & diff as my JB, so all I will be able to install individual turning brakes on this tractor also. Will take some head scratching to get all the geometry to work with my chassis, but as Brian said, now is the time to get it done. Now I have to make up my mind whether to put the hydro on right, brake pedals on left, or vice-versa. Once I get a look at the JD parts, I can figure which way is best. Nothing like more challenges! But this will be a super cool addition to the "Boss Hog" for sure, and be a very functional addition. This tractor will become my main garden tractor for plowing & hauling. The turning brakes will be great when needing a tight turn.
But guys....don't let my BIL, meangreen know I'm putting John Deere parts on her! :bigrofl:
Brian, thanks SO much for all your help....very much appreciated! :thumbs: