792 replies to this topic

#31 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Looking (and sounding) good Daniel! As usual, your fabricating talent is amazing to watch.
  • Robertded said thank you

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 12:55 PM

Today won't show a lot of results. I have been machining the flywheel adapter shaft/plate. I am no machinist by ANY meaning of the word, but if I take my time, I get by ok. I first found a thick round plate to make the adapter out of, then I machined a center hole that would allow a tight press fit of the 1" shaft. The shaft is turned down on the end to fit the pilot hole in center of the flywheel. I slightly started the pin into the plate, so the machined shaft end would just stick up from one side. Then I slipped on my template for the bolt holes & center-punched where the holes are to be drilled. Then I drilled the holes. Much easier to drill the holes before fully pressing the shaft in & welding it. Then I removed the shaft from the plate & cut my keyway on my end mill. I'll weld in place in a little while, then chuck back in the lathe to true up the plate faces in case the weld draws it out of plane.

DSC00244.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00243.jpg

#33 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 03:34 PM

All I have accomplished today is the driveshaft stub assembly. Had the lathe belt come apart, so had to patch lace it up enough to finish turning the diameter of the plate to 3 1/2". The stub mounts to the flywheel bolts, then comes out over 2" before it clears the rear of the flywheel to where I can mount the double pulley for rear PTO, then the driveshaft slips on. This leaves the shaft kind of "out there". With all the pull of the belts I'm kinda worried about stressing the shaft. So I will lathe out a steel plate that will exactly fit to the rear of the flywheel, where normally a pressure plate would fit. I will turn it exactly 8 1/2", so that it will fit perfectly into the recess, then mark & drill the mount holes. The center will be machined out to exactly 1" to fit the shaft snug, plus I will weld a 1" bearing lock collar to the back of the plate for more support surface area. This puts the pulley right up against the support plate, so this will handle the side loading of the shaft.

Edited by olcowhand, January 16, 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#34 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:16 PM

You are making great progress. I can't believe how much you have done in the last few days. It sounds awesome.....
I'm just sitting here waiting for parts for my heater to arrive. Well not exactly sitting here, I rode my bicycle 50 miles and froze my @ss off. Rode 40 miles yesterday on my fixed gear.

#35 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hey,anything you do is a step forward.:thumbs:

#36 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Your doing way more then what I imagined you'd be doing and its comming along nicely.Your right about rethinking the sideways pull sounds like you have it figured out.Thats one thing about retro fitting stuff your always thinking and making changes as you go. Thats the thing about us guys who do this stuff we have to be the engineers,fabricators,welders,mechanics.Can you imagine what some of our stuff would cost if we included all the time/labour.We'd be rich guys.LOL nice project for sure .Larry

#37 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:30 PM

The rest of the evening is taking the wife to dinner. The JB will be there when I get more time. I'll be back online later this evening.

#38 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 07:09 PM

That's coming right along Dan. Thanks for posting it all. I love to watch a master work!

#39 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:42 PM

That's coming right along Dan. Thanks for posting it all. I love to watch a master work!

Master??? Hardly, but if you wanna watch a master of the craft, you need to be reading Ray's (jdcrawler) threads!

#40 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Just wanted to say that I have been following this thread and find it very interesting, good stuff.

#41 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:40 AM

The rest of the evening is taking the wife to dinner.

Wow, you really are detail oriented and a wise project manager too! You clearly understand one of the most important factors in any successful project (one that is often overlooked by many). Keep the other half happy!

Keep up the good work! I am enjoying watching it come together.

JN

#42 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Stopped at "Fastenal" on way back from the hospital to get longer bolts to retain the flywheel & drive-shaft adapter. Not in stock, but got them ordered. They don't keep fine thread metric in stock at all at my local Fastenal. Once I get the bolts & everything all buttoned down tight, I can get the drive-shaft all connected, strap on a fuel tank & drive the beast. Maybe over the weekend, but more likely sometime next week.

#43 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hey,you have Fastenal down there,we have them up here too.

#44 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Maybe over the weekend, but more likely sometime next week.

You don't fool around, do you? I'd still be trying to find room in my pole barn to start a project like yours. Can't wait to read your report on the first voyage under power with the new (used) diesel powerplant.

JN

#45 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 09:55 AM

This will be using the original hydro drive-train, and it's never been under power since I got it, so it will be a test of all components. I have a NOS Bush Hog hydro & diff that will end up under it. This one on the tractor has both hubs welded to the axles. In the end, I "may" put a MF1655 hydro & diff under it, but using it would cause big problems adding rear PTO, so that decision will come later. Bob in Ohio has the MF rear diff, and I already have a good MF hydro unit if I end up going that route. The MF has a 2 speed rear that really shines in hard pulls such as plowing. I want to see how the OE parts do, and if they do good handling the greatly increased torque, then I'll stick with OE.