coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Daniel, I have thought about putting a different rearend in the D160. The single speed dosent seem to perform as well as the 2 speed.  I was going to go simpler and use a Case hydraulic system in it. Not too much machining and adapting,no woryyies about drive shafts and linkages. In the end I ended up with the D200 and I will be getting rid of the D160 but I am keeping the case system just in case I decide to do it to something else.

#377 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Daniel, I have thought about putting a different rearend in the D160. The single speed dosent seem to perform as well as the 2 speed.  I was going to go simpler and use a Case hydraulic system in it. Not too much machining and adapting,no woryyies about drive shafts and linkages. In the end I ended up with the D200 and I will be getting rid of the D160 but I am keeping the case system just in case I decide to do it to something else.

I don't really care for the Case system (no offense meant to Case owners), as I just find it a bit jerky in response over a hydrostatic system.  Mostly a personal preference thing I'm sure, as I've loved hydro for years.

#378 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:10 PM

On the Trojan Horse I drilled out the welds for the centers and welded them back for the correct offset. Was kind of dreading it but went good and took less time than expected. Welding the holes left from drilling the welds was the biggest hassle and that wasn't a big deal.

Well, the problem with these JB rims is that they have no welded centers to do that.  I've done the center moving myself.  These rims are 2 piece design with each half including the center section.  The halves just meet flush to form the entire rim.  

But I have a much easier answer in one respect.  My custom Massey "2055" (customized MF1650) has 5 lug rims that will work right on this diesel JB's new rear end, allowing enough clearance for the brake rod & all.  Even have fluid filled 26x12/12 Super Diggers mounted.  So I'll rob these tires/rims to put on the diesel JB.  Now IF the MF1650 axles are tapered, then I can pull the hubs off the JB diff then install on the "2055" and use the current JB wheels & tires on it.  The hubs on my OE JBI are from a Massey 1855.  If they aren't tapered on the 1650, then I have some 23x10.50/12 tires on rims I can put on the Massey for now.  Trying not to spend any money I don't have for more tires.

• KennyP said thank you

#379 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Sounds like you've come up with a good solution. Your luck would be a lot better than mine if both had tapered axles.

#380 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hope it all works out well on the parts swapping!

#381 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sounds like you've come up with a good solution. Your luck would be a lot better than mine if both had tapered axles.

They aren't both tapered, but I think Brian (TD&H) has some 6 bolt hubs that will fit the Massey so I can simply swap wheel assemblies!   :D 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#382 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Had just a few minutes to work on the JB today.  I got the frame drilled & bolted up the hydro & diff so I could measure what length to make the drive shaft.  Hoping to finish shortening the drive shaft tomorrow.   The diff has to come back out, one for adding plates to the chassis where the diff bolts to, plus I have to get inside the hydro to mod it for reverse rotation.  May start on that tomorrow, but I have some other work to do also, so may not get much accomplished. 

#383 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:16 AM

At least it's progress, Daniel.

#384 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:31 PM

By the time I finished cutting a fella's decals, I ended up with a headache, so nothing major done to the JB.  I did get the hi/lo shift system roughed in though, and it works sweet & tucks out of the way nicely.  The knob on the hi/lo is even an OE Bush Hog knob from the parking lock.

The first pic you can see the lower bracket being held by vise grips.  I now have this drilled & bolted to the side frame.  This will be about it for the day, but like Kenny said, every little bit is progress.  What time I spend out there after I get this posted will be clean up time.  Too much mess to make headway. 

DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00004.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#385 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 03:54 PM

So far this machine has a few brands of parts.....Bush Hog chassis/body parts, Kubota engine/radiator, Massey footboards & steering wheel, Simplicity hydro/diff, and John Deere power steering components.

#386 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:40 PM

No shop cleaning.  I got side tracked with the differential lock engagement shaft.  Got it started, but quitting for the day.  Taking the wife out to Chinese.   She deserves it from putting up with me.

#387 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Good to see you're plugging right along there Dan.

have a bowl of Hot and sour soup for me.

#388 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 08:29 AM

No shop cleaning.  I got side tracked with the differential lock engagement shaft.  Got it started, but quitting for the day.  Taking the wife out to Chinese.   She deserves it from putting up with me.

It's just darn hard not to do something. Usually when I try to straighten things up, I come across something that gets the old brain working and that's the end of cleaning. Hi/lo lever looks good there. Hope the Chinese was good too!

#389 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well guys, I did the cleanup thing for maybe 5 minutes, then got sidetracked.  I just can't help myself!  But I now have the differential lock lever assembly installed & ready to go.  Once I got everything positioned, I had to pull the hydro & diff out to drill the mounting holes from the inside out.

It's the lower shaft in the right frame rail.  

DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG

It sticks out just enough to easily hit it with your boot heel, so should work just fine.  If I find it needs to stick out further, it will be easy to extend.

DSC00005.JPG

But as to cleaning, I will have to before I start on the hydro internals.  Need as clean as I can get where I'll be working on it.

#390 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Looks good Daniel. There is a lot of metal in the frame of that BH. Pretty strong looking construction.