• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Been a long day fixing crapped out stuff on the farm today, but a few minutes ago, started plasma cutting metal for a new JB fuel tank. It will be 16 3/4 x 11 x 6, and will hold 4 3/4 gallons. Will be a few days before I get it done. Gotta get a a junkyard up the road to find a fuel neck of an old gas tank.

#272 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 03:00 PM

I tried my TIG on putting my fuel tank together, but got frustrated & switched to stick welder. Waaay too many pinholes from stick welding, so studied on the TIG & found I had a setting wrong. Went over most welds with TIG till I ran out of gas. Put air pressure in the tank & suds it. Where I went over with TIG, it was MUCH better, but due to so much contamination from stick welding, it still has just a few very tiny air leaks. So gonna pick up a fresh tank of gas & finish TIG welding over the last of the stick welds, then just braze the few pin holes remaining. One of these days I'll get this TIG welding down decent!

#273 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 03:13 PM

TIG is tough to do well if you don't do it nearly every day, I can TIG but, it takes some practicing before I actually work on what I am welding, lol

#274 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Once I set the welder to continuous high frequency, it did fine. Wish I had figured that out before I used stick! Impossible to get all the contamination out to TIG, once stick welded. I do know TIG demands CLEAN metals.

#275 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 03:26 PM

TIG can be tough, but once you get a handle on what works it is all good. Are you using aluminum for the tank? HF continuous is usually for aluminum and HF start to get started on steel. Of course the gas would run out before you were done, thats always how it is. A friend of mine in school today ran out of acetylene halfway through a cut and I had to change the bottle.

#276 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 04:51 PM

HF continuous is usually for aluminum and HF start to get started on steel.

I was using start, and no good. Did a google search & it said the opposite........ start for aluminum (which is what I use for aluminum) and it said continuous for steel...which is what worked for me.

#277 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Oh? Last I read was that HF start was for getting started on steel and contiuous was to help stabilize the arc on aluminum. The TIG aluminum I did today and three weeks ago required continuous to weld properly and the steel only needed start. Might be off here but it's how my teacher taught it and how it works for me.

#278 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:29 PM

Oh? Last I read was that HF start was for getting started on steel and contiuous was to help stabilize the arc on aluminum. The TIG aluminum I did today and three weeks ago required continuous to weld properly and the steel only needed start. Might be off here but it's how my teacher taught it and how it works for me.

I googled & read several hits, and you ARE correct! I went by the 1st I landed on the other night, and it was wrong evidently. BUT, it did do better for me than I had it set. I am going to read further to ensure it sinks into my head this time. Looking forward to having things set properly. I was tigging with AC continuous on the steel with decent results....a setting for aluminum! I need to go to reverse polarity DC on HF "start" setting to do it right. My apologies for questioning anything, but in my defense, I was questioning in order to learn more....and I did!

#279 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 09:22 PM

No worries, I did the same things when I started. My teacher spelled it out at least "twice"- DCEN for steel and SS and AC for aluminum. And yes questioning to learn is a great thing. Asking why seems to be how we all got started.

#280 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yes if I remember correctly AC is only for aluminum

#281 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 02:03 PM

Well, liked to never gotten all the pin holes repaired, but success finally! Now to go to junkyard up the road for a filler neck off an old style car fuel tank and weld into the tank. Then drill & tap for NPT fittings for the fuel lines. I was just about to toss this tank & start another one, and by the looks of the welding....I should have! And NO pics of the tank will be posted! :smilewink:

#282 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 02:39 PM

Well, liked to never gotten all the pin holes repaired, but success finally! I was just about to toss this tank & start another one, and by the looks of the welding....I should have! And NO pics of the tank will be posted! :smilewink:

Hey Dan it can't be that bad seeing you have all the pin holes filled.I've been there a few times myself.Tell you what once you have it done and put some paint on it then you can post it and we'll all probably agree thats it looks good.Its amazing what a good coat of paint will do.LOL Larry

#283 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hey Dan it can't be that bad seeing you have all the pin holes filled.I've been there a few times myself.Tell you what once you have it done and put some paint on it then you can post it and we'll all probably agree thats it looks good.Its amazing what a good coat of paint will do.LOL Larry

Oh yeah, it's a nasty bunch of welding! Maybe with some body filler to smooth over 1st, then paint! LOL With all the contaminated welds I had to go over like 4 or 5 times in some areas, it's about the worst looking welding I've ever done. Next time I will have my TIG welder set correctly & do all with TIG right from the get go.

#284 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 07:53 PM

I have the fuel neck off meangreen's old 64 chevy parts car to go onto my fuel tank, hole cut for it in the tank. Also have the hole cut for the neck to stick up through front of the dash tower. Steel line ready for the fuel pickup. I decided to go with a steel pickup line, going into top of the tank. Having an NPT fitting on the bottom of the tank is asking for a leak later. I will braze the neck & line in, as it's just easier to do without pin holes forming.....and I'm sick of pin holes at the moment. Hope to braze them on tomorrow between milkings.

#285 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 125 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 02:15 AM

Great build Daniel. Filling up pinholes with weld can be a real pain. Just when you think you got them all another one pops up. Can't wait to see the finished product. Going to be one of a kind.

jhn9840
John