• Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Your usual great job Dan!!!!!
I hope you got your package!!!!

Joe

Hey ya Joe! You need to come in here more often!

#198 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Not starting on the Massey 175 repair yet, & had to run to town this morning, so this afternoon I installed the hydro cooler out front of the radiator. The ends of the cooler exactly matched the grill screen frame, so an easy drill & mount affair. Soldered on the brass fittings for my hydraulic hose to attach & all is hooked up & works great. I ran it a while to warm the hydro oil just a bit. Feel the inlet & warm...feel the outlet & very cool. Of course under heavy use it won't be cool going out, but certainly will cool it down.
Started on one of the wider rear fenders too. Will get some pics tomorrow of the progress.

#199 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Here's a pic of the oil cooler mounted & functional.

DSC00351.jpg

Today was a busy farm day, so got little done. I did get the air filter stack mounted to the hood. The top of the stack is mounted on a short piece of exhaust pipe, and is welded to the hood. The lower portion of the pipe slips over the air cleaner housing inlet when I close the hood. Makes it much easier to raise the hood this way.
Also cut the hole for radiator cap access. Normal service can be done with hood down.

DSC00348.jpg

Figured how to get angles on thick fender steel without having to take & get bent professionally. I just marked where I wanted the angles, then clamped a 1" square tube at the mark. Then use a 4 1/2" slicer wheel (.045" thick) on my hand grinder & cut a groove about 1/2 way through the steel sheet. It then bends easily just using a vice. If the one slice doesn't allow enough angle before the slice closes up, then with the gap closed, slice again & bend more until you reach the desired angle. I may not use this piece of steel for the fender, as I really need a slightly wider piece as I want an angle outward to cover the entire width of the tire. But I wanted to use this piece to see how it went. Rather have smooth curved bends, but this is much cheaper & I'm cheap! lol
Oh, and after needed angle is achieved, simply weld along the cut to renew the strength of the steel

DSC00350.jpg

Here's how she stands for now.

DSC00353.jpg

When I go get steel for the fenders, I'll likely get a new piece of sheet steel for the hood extension & replace what I've added already. The only piece I had the right thickness was pitted bad, and this makes it flimsy. In case the plow day doesn't get rained out, I wanted to go ahead & use the rusty piece so I'd have a hood on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00349.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, March 15, 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#200 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:04 PM

It is looking good.

#201 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Dang, for a man to squeeze as much into a day as you do Dan you'd think you were a farmer or somethin'
What you get done in between keeping cows fed and milked and the rest of the hats you wear in a day never ceases
to amaze me. Looks good. I like the cut then bend and weld trick with the thick steel too!!
Peter

#202 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Had to run to town, so went a bit further & picked up my metal for the fenders. Had a couple hours, so got one fender nearly finished. It's welded along the seat area, but have to drill holes to mount it to the floorboards, then weld in a brace at the rear of the fender.
Here is what I started with:
DSC00356.jpg

And here is what I ended up with:

DSC00354.jpg

I wanted more of a smooth curve, so I used the .045 slicer wheels on my grinder & put 3 grooves, leaving just a smidge of steel between each groove, then used my shop vice as a bend tool to bend each area. Then simply hammered the corners together, welded, then ground smooth. Gotta head to the milk parlor now. Hope to feel like finishing all the fender work on both sides tomorrow evening.

DSC00357.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00355.jpg

#203 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:18 AM

the fenders look very good.

#204 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:24 AM

I like the look of the new fender design.Even the access ports in the hood.It's starting to look more and more like a newer heavy duty tractor.Larry

#205 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:51 AM

I like those fenders.

#206 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Your project is coming along very nicely daniel! :thumbs: Good work! How you find time for farming and building your projects is amazing.

#207 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Few nice Dan. You are really moving along.
I learned a new trick too.

#208 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Daniel, do U only sleep 2 or 3 hours per night? As much as U get done in a day U couldn't have much
time to sleep!

#209 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'm impressed Daniel! Great job on your build!
Can you still hear?

I've done the slot cut to bend metal quit a few times. Lately, I've been using a Morse 7 1/4" metal cutting carbide blade in a circular saw to do my sheet metal work. It's real easy to controll the depth, & is incredibly fast, & fairly quiet. I just built 30"x30" add on filter box for my dust collector out of #16 (about 1/16") galv sheet. I did about 100 ft of cuts, including 1/2 depth for corner bends, + thimble rips, with the blade, & it still cuts almost like new. The galv. is a little harder on the blade than straight steel. It cuts like butter, with no dust, or fumes. The only thing is, you need to keep the vibrations to a minimum for good blade life. I do this by keeping the
blade depth set to about 1/4" below the bottom of cut, & clamp a straight edge guide to the sheet to avoid additional side stress on blade.
I think I paid about $40 for the blade.

Thank's again Daniel for sharing your project. It has inspired me to get more done each day!
Joe

#210 JoeJ OFFLINE  

JoeJ

• Member No: 67
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Howdy Mike!!
I sent you a PM.

Dan, this one is coming along VERY NICE!!

Joe