#166 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Very nice work Daniel! You are making great progress and it is looking good. I can't wait to see the diesel beast pulling your 2 bottom plow around. Thanks for all the updates, pictures and video.

#167 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:57 AM

looking great. do the bush hog tractors have a rear pto or will you be adding one?

#168 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:03 AM

looking great. do the bush hog tractors have a rear pto or will you be adding one?

Right now rear pto is on the back burner, but I hope to add it later. I made a crank stub long enough for a double groove pulley to run one when/if the time comes. Finding a reversing gearbox is the hard/expensive part. The ones used on Cub Lowboy's is what I need, but they sell HIGH! I may attempt building my own reverser.
The JB's had optional rear pto, and I have an OE gearbox, but on a complete & original JB, so don't want to remove it.

#169 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Looking good :good_job:

But really, How big is the crew you have working on the JB, 4?-5??

#170 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Looking good :good_job:

But really, How big is the crew you have working on the JB, 4?-5??

It'll be 2 if you get your butt down here! :ass::rofl2:

#171 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:36 AM

That's really starting to shape up Daniel.:thumbs::thumbs:

#172 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:44 AM

I was thinking about making an independent rear pto too. The factory bush hog pto looks like its driven through the rear end. is that correct?
The more i think about my project the more i feel like im trying to build a b6000 kubota.

#173 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:50 AM

I was thinking about making an independent rear pto too. The factory bush hog pto looks like its driven through the rear end. is that correct?
The more i think about my project the more i feel like im trying to build a b6000 kubota.

Actually, the OE rear pto is independent. The rear end & hydro is identical to early JD140's which DID operate the rear pto through the hydro, but not Bush Hog. The JB drove a front/mid pto jackshaft which powered the deck, or snowblower off the jackshaft through universal equipped shafts. To power the rear pto, an optional shaft slipped on & snaked between the hydro & diff to the rear gearbox.

#174 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Awesome progress. I wish I could see my power steering mod function.
At this rate you will be done in no time...

#175 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Great progress Daniel.
Wish mine was moving that fast.

#176 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:12 PM

.DSC00327.jpg

Yesterday I also rigged up a new hydraulic control for the 3pt lift. The original control was in the right side fender box, and I'm not putting the boxes back on this tractor, so needed another lever system. I will be building new fenders. Right next to the seat, there's an open spot which is inline with the hydraulic valve. So I cut a hole for a control rod to pass through to the hydraulic valve. I drilled a hole crossways in the end of the small pipe, then welded a #50 master link to it to attach it to the hydraulic valve shaft. On the other end, I used a folding motorcycle footpeg assembly to use as the lever's base. I bent a 1/4" rod to pass through a hole in the former footpeg, then slid it into the little control rod pipe & tack welded into place. I still have to make a lever, and it will bend outward to clear my leg & the handle will be out over the inner edge of the fender.inner edge of the fender. Later, I may add hydraulic quick attach remotes for powering a dump trailer (I hope to build some day), and if I do I will use MF1855 twin hydraulic controls & place under the fender with handles coming through a hole in the fender, but for now, this single control will suffice.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00328.jpg
  • DSC00326.jpg

#177 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:17 PM

I picked up a battery for this tractor at Walmart last night. Had to be less than 6 1/4" wide, so got a BIC 51 family battery. Man have batteries gotten expensive. Last one cost me $39. This one was $67. Called Autozone from Walmart hoping for cheaper price, but same type/power battery was $89! I've been strapping my battery boost box to the tractor to drive it, and that's getting old. I have to redo some of the steering hoses to allow battery to slide in far enough not to stick out from the side of the dash tower.
The fuel tank I've yet to build will go on other side of steering column.

DSC00329.jpg

#178 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:31 PM

You sure do nice work Dan, I'd love to help just for the learning experience.!!
P.

#179 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have my list for TSC ya know! :laughingteeth:

The marketing folks at TSC, Rural King, etc. also know that. They carry enough domestic stuff to keep the women folk occupied while we forage through the hardware and tractor sections finding the things we need for our projects. That makes it easier to justify trips to those stores, but I find over the years that their inventory appears to be leaning more and more towards blister packed hardware (like $2.29 for six washer type of things) and a lot more domestic junk to keep the ladies shopping. These days it is me (not the wife) that ends up standing for 15 or 20 minutes near the register waiting for her to finish browsing while I leave empty handed because they no longer carry what I was needing.

Our local Menards is the worst. They now sell stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, bed mattresses, and cheap furniture. They recently remodeled and now have a large (ready for this?) grocery section. The space for groceries came at the expense of the hardware area and all of their hardware is now blister packed and carries blistering prices (I guess that's how blister packaging got its' name). To add insult to injury you can't walk down an isle around the holidays (Easter, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) without stupid electronic toys breaking out in stupid songs and moves - what's that about? Twelve years ago when we moved to our fixer-upper home I practically remodeled the place on supplies, tools and hardware from Menards. Now I can't stand to go in the place.

JN

Oh, BTW - Good progress! I too am looking forward to video of you pulling that plow behind your creation.

#180 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Got my chores finished a bit past 4:30, so got exactly 2hrs shop time on the JB. Just in case I get to go the the Ky plow day, I wanted to at least get the grill mounted, so as not to look "too" redneck, plus offer some protection in case there's any brush around the edge of the field. So had to do all the figuring & building in these 2hrs.
I had to widen the grill 5/8" the other day to clear the radiator. Today I added a 1/2" angle iron inside to stiffen it. For simplicity, I just put a joining strip on the outside over the split to cover it up, doing all the welding inside.

DSC00334.jpg

I kinda got ahead of myself in this post. Here is how I mounted my grill. The original diesel engine cradle also served as the radiator mount, so I wanted to use it that way for a much easier mount. But this created another problem with the grill, as the radiator prevented me from simply lengthening the frame for the grill to mount to. So I welded 2x2 steel tubing to the frame, then plasma cut 1/4" steel plates for the grill to mount to. The plates got welded to the 2x2 tubing, held the grill in place & marked where the holes needed to be drilled. I drilled 5/16" holes, then tapped the plates with 3/8 coarse threads. Always easier if you don't have to have nuts on the backsides. Because of the radiator outlet, both grill mount plates are cut differently. I figure it doesn't matter....can't see both sides at the same time anyway! LOL
I doubt I will ever needs weights off the front, so this will be strong enough for a front bumper, but I'd not want to hang weights off it.

DSC00332.jpg

When I get around to it, I will be putting this hydro oil cooler in front of the radiator & plumbing the hydraulic lift/power steering return line through it.

DSC00335.jpg

This afternoon I also made all new pins for the 3 point lift pivot points. Just cut the threaded poriton off new 5/8" bolts, then drilled a hole for R-clips.

DSC00336.jpg

Not bad for 2 hours!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00333.jpg
  • DSC00331.jpg