• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 05:30 PM

The project has begun! May be a year or even 2 before she's completely finished, new paint & all, but I got a start today. I will be putting a 3 cylinder Kubota D1005 diesel into this 1969 Bush Hog JBI tractor. It came factory with a 14hp Briggs cast iron single gas engine. The chassis of this tractor has been chopped & abused with a bad welder, but all can be corrected as I go. Here's another stock JBI I own to show a completely stock unit.

JBI.jpg

This is the Kubota diesel that will get transplanted into my other JBI.

DSC00232.jpg

Here is a short video clip of the diesel running. (Oops...video doesn't work)

th_MOV00227.jpg

I decided to use the Kubota's bell housing, but it is too wide for the frame. So today I took the housing off so I could use my plasma cutter to remove most of the lower half. The top half will fit snug to the frame rails on the lower edges, and the rear of it will bolt to the firewall of the dash tower on the tractor.

DSC00229.jpg

Here is where the motor will go. I had to notch the front of the rails to allow for the radiator support. The cutout in the frame rail is the work of the previous owner. Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on tractors! :rofl2:I will be welding the piece back in.

DSC00234.jpg

Tomorrow I "might" get to place the engine into the frame, but several chores on the farm need doing tomorrow as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00231.jpg
  • DSC00228.jpg

• holdenboy1960, CharlesDes, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#2 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 05:35 PM

WOW that will be a great rig, can't wait to see it when finished

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Can't wait to see this one.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Good luck. This will be interesting.

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 06:34 PM

I was wonder how you could stand waiting to see if the diesel fit in there okay. I will be following this one closely?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 06:42 PM

I was wonder how you could stand waiting to see if the diesel fit in there okay. I will be following this one closely?

:bigrofl: You've gotten to know me well! No, I couldn't stand it, plus so cold out, not much else to do. I have to do some extra farm chores tomorrow though, so not sure how much I'll accomplish to the project.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Forgot to mention....the hood will have to be lengthened an inch or 2 to make room, but won't look awkward at all in relation to the rest of the tractor. The hood & dash top will be raised 2" also, just like I did on my TJD repowered JBI tractor.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Got just a little time today for fun shop time. Got the engine sitting in the frame to see what other mods are needed. This engine will be pulled in & out quite a few times before I get all things figured out. I have to make a cutout for the oil filter in the top of the one frame rail & a slight notch for more clearance on the lower radiator outlet.
I'm not going to worry about the bodywork at all for now. I will get the engine all tucked in right, then the sheet metal will have to be modified to work with the engine. The air filter assembly will likely reside on the side of the dash tower.
The next time I pull the engine, I also need to do some careful measuring so I can machine the driveshaft coupler to bolt to the flywheel.

DSC00237.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00238.jpg
  • DSC00236.jpg
  • DSC00235.jpg

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Whoa, wicked awesome! Now i sincerly regret not buying the JBI that was forsale 2 towns over for $300. i even found a diesel for $250 today that would slip right in! i cant wait to seem this project done. Keep up the good work!

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:55 PM

It's lookin' good already.:thumbs:

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 07:53 PM

That's looking really good Dan! It should be an awesome rig when you get 'er done!

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Forgot to mention....the hood will have to be lengthened an inch or 2 to make room, but won't look awkward at all in relation to the rest of the tractor. The hood & dash top will be raised 2" also, just like I did on my TJD repowered JBI tractor.

As long as it doesn't look like that one Case that someone posted where the hood was raised like a foot.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Got just a little time today for fun shop time. Got the engine sitting in the frame to see what other mods are needed. This engine will be pulled in & out quite a few times before I get all things figured out. I have to make a cutout for the oil filter in the top of the one frame rail & a slight notch for more clearance on the lower radiator outlet.
I'm not going to worry about the bodywork at all for now. I will get the engine all tucked in right, then the sheet metal will have to be modified to work with the engine. The air filter assembly will likely reside on the side of the dash tower.
The next time I pull the engine, I also need to do some careful measuring so I can machine the driveshaft coupler to bolt to the flywheel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9307[/ATTACH]

You are going to be driving around on your Kubota diesel powered Bush Hog JBI in no time :D :thumbs:

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:20 PM

As long as it doesn't look like that one Case that someone posted where the hood was raised like a foot.

Oh hell no! The hood & dash on the JB's are kind of low in OE form anyway, so this should look good. I think it will take 3" higher than stock to clear the radiator. My TJD Wisconsin powered JBI (pic below) is raised a bit over 1 1/2". If I need, I can lower the radiator about one inch to keep things looking right, which would make the hood & dash only 1/2" higher than the JBI below. I want this tractor to "appear" as built factory when I am finished.

DSC00029-2.jpg

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:24 PM

I know you will do a good job on it Daniel.

The whole radiator thing did get me to thinking though as I have been leaning away from the water cooled diesels because of trying to fit a radiator along with the engine. What about the possibility of taking the fan off the output of the diesel, mounting the radiator at a little bit of an angle and using an electric fan instead of the engine driven fan? I know you might not need to do this with your JBI but I am thinking for other projects or tractors.