#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:57 AM

We have a Westin steel grill guard on out pickup and every three years I have to take it off and strip, sand and repaint it. Looks like this year is the year for it again. I went out and took it off the other day and started sanding it wit a power sander my son got me for Christmas a few years ago. I rellay have the itch to get the 4" angel grinder with awire wheel out again but the wife says, " after last years debacule, it's not a good idea". That little episode left me with about 25% loss of the left index finger. Not from the injury but from the care from the hospital. Still has a nub sensation to it as long as you don't push to hard on it and then it is very sore.

I want to get this project done by next week so I have instructions to use heavy gloves if I want to use the wire wheel.  It would be the easiest and fastest to take the rust and paint off. It sure is comforting to know that the wife is looking out for me. Well, maybe she is just trying to make sure we have a better summer this year.

When we bought the grill guard we couldn't afford the black stainless steel one so we settled for the steel one. The first one lasted 6 months and started to rust through. I got it replaced under warranty. The second one lasted a year and the dealer sai there was no warranty on it because it was a replacement. After contacting Weston they sent another new one to the dealer who refused to install it. I took it home and put it on and it only lasted about a year. that is the one I have been rpainting. I took the second one back to the dealer who was surprised I did. I told them Weston wanted it shipped back so they could check it out.

This year I am going to use a rust inhibitor on it to see how long it will last. If I get a couple of years out of it I will be glad.

Hope spring comes to us all soon.                                             Roger.

• Newpaws493 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 11:13 AM

Be careful ! don't forget the eye protection too...oh., and pics :smilewink:  

• hamman said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Full fave shield for wire wheels. Those little wires zing out of there....I hate using them
  • hamman said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:40 PM

I had Westin' step rails on a pick-up. Paid good money for them and they only lasted a year or so and they broke at the frame mounts.

I removed them and forgot about them. Some time later I got some type of propaganda from Westin' and I responded with a note that their products were....well, crap!

They asked for details which I responded with, and they sent me brand new replacements and all I had to do was return what ever parts I had left from the original ones.

The replacements didn't last very long and I never persued replacements...I figure as time went on the product would probably so cheap they would fall apart while they were being shipped!

• hamman and superaben have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I had the Westin bars also! They actually lasted 6 years before they rusted out.  I took them off and replaced them with some SS ones I bought off CL.  I called Westin when they rusted out and they told me thanks for letting thm know they lasted that long here in Michigan where we use a lot of salt in the winter. They sent me a voucher for money off anything I wanted to buy next. I gave it to a friend who was buying a set of steps.       Roger.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 02:55 PM

After you get it cleaned up maybe you could try a self etching primer. Rustoleum makes it in spray cans and it may improve the adhesion and prolong the life of the paint. 

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 03:20 PM

A few pictures of the progress so far. A lot of deep pitting.  I'm just about to start hand sanding it to get it ready for rust inhibitor and priming and painting.    Thanks.                           Roger.

DSCF6972.JPG DSCF6980.JPG DSCF6971.JPG DSCF6979.JPG

• IamSherwood and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Looking good!

• hamman said thank you

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:32 PM

You need a big electrolisis tank. No more finger nubs.

• hamman and Team_Green have said thanks

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 01:04 PM

You need a big electrolisis tank. No more finger nubs.

"borrow" his kids pool to use..  Would take a day in there and it would be spotless..

• hamman said thank you

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 01:26 PM

I have read some on the electrolisis tanks but am confused a bit. Will it not only remove rust but paint also ???  Not sure if I worded that right but, hey that's me.   Thanks. Roger.

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 05:39 PM

It has removed the paint off of everything I have put on one.

• hamman said thank you

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I hate wire wheels, only use them when I really have to like corner and creavices. I was turned onto the flap wheels a couple years ago, I love them! Just wished they lasted longer. 

Speaking of guards, I need to get mine back on someday. Took it off almost 2 years ago to do motor swap and never put back on. 

• hamman said thank you

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Just be careful and keep safety in mind at all times.  I think the electrolisis tank would be easiest way to go to get it clean and ready for paint.

• hamman said thank you

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Found some NAPA rust inhibiter yesterday and continued to sand and clean on the grill guard. Every time I think I'm done with the grinding I find more rust behind the paint. Should have it ready to finish sand and tack clean tonight and then put the inhibitor on it. More pictures later.                                  Roger.