• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:23 AM

My son has a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab pickup. This is considered the 3rd generation of the new & improved Dodge trucks back in 2002. All the parking lights stopped working. Obvious it's not the bulbs so I checked all the routine possibilities with no solution. I went online & found another issue with the 3rd gen trucks. On the bottom of the IPM ( fuse box) they put air vent holes to prevent moisture buildup. These same holes aloud this moisture along with road dirt to enter & corrode the circuit board. This IPM used sells for $350. or new at dealer up to $700. & another $500-$700. for labor. They are a few quick but not safe fixes like bypassing the relay or running a switched wire to the cab when you need lights. I found another solution of repairing the circuit board & once again thank God for the info on the internet. Instead of telling you what I done I'll just include the link because it would be easier to follow. I will show some pics of my successful repair.

It looks worse that it really is but make sure you label the plugs because it looks like a few would enterchange.

icm6.jpg

The IPM

icm5.jpg

The copper band corroded to the point a small section about 1/4" was totally gone

icm4.jpg

I soldered a small piece of copper wire to bridge the gap & also covered with clear silicone

icm2.jpg

You can see the vent holes next to the ports & the green is the naked circuit board I also covered these with silicone

icm1.jpg

I know like many of us want to save money by doing our own repairs. I have always done my own so I wanted to share this & I hope it helps someone or educates another to pass on the info. Here is the YouTube link I used.

• Alc said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 02:31 PM

That's a pretty easy repair if you know where to look for the problem. It's ridiculous that a dealer would charge 5-700 labor to install a new board. 

• Sawdust said thank you