6 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have one in my Huskee Supreme LT and I wondered if anyone here has owned/used one? Is there anything I should look out for or a certain way to care for it? I want it to last as long as possible. It has been good so far (6 years). I do use it to pull a 36" roller, 42" lawn sweeper and dump cart. I don't try to be rough with it or run it too hard. Thanks.

Edited by Gabriel, March 15, 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#2 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 15, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Just don't over work it or make it pull to much. Read the owner manual for the max load a don't over do it. I believe they have grease packed in them so you can't easlly add to it. Look at the areas where the frame of the tractor and the axle bolt together, look for cracks or lots of greases coming out near the bushing/axle shaft and axle housing. The bushing can ware out and the shaft will wreck the axle housing, the bushing is replaceable if it gets thin. If you want to open the housing, get yourself a manual for that model transaxle and follow it.   Its always a good idea to make sure both your rear tires have the same air pressure because if they are not the same pressure each tire will turn at a different speed and the transaxle will not like to do that for long periods, undo stress and strain on the insides.   Somebody else may be able to give you more info but thats all I can think of off hand. If I wasn't very clear you can post what you don't understand and I'll try to help. Good Luck with your Huskee  Glen  

• Gabriel said thank you

#3 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Just don't over work it or make it pull to much. Read the owner manual for the max load a don't over do it. I believe they have grease packed in them so you can't easlly add to it. Look at the areas where the frame of the tractor and the axle bolt together, look for cracks or lots of greases coming out near the bushing/axle shaft and axle housing. The bushing can ware out and the shaft will wreck the axle housing, the bushing is replaceable if it gets thin. If you want to open the housing, get yourself a manual for that model transaxle and follow it.   Its always a good idea to make sure both your rear tires have the same air pressure because if they are not the same pressure each tire will turn at a different speed and the transaxle will not like to do that for long periods, undo stress and strain on the insides.   Somebody else may be able to give you more info but thats all I can think of off hand. If I wasn't very clear you can post what you don't understand and I'll try to help. Good Luck with your Huskee  Glen

Thanks! I don't use it to pull attachments very often, except for the lawn sweeper, which I will pull a bit more than the others. I did open up the trans.(I was trying to figure out why the brake shaft bushing was loose in the housing) this winter and every thing seemed fine, and I added some grease. I was just wanting to know if there was anything to do, or not do, to get the maximum life out of it.

P.S.
This trans. is what is used for MTD's variable speed drive systems(that's why it's one speed).

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:41 PM

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

#5 Old silver OFFLINE  

Old silver
  • Member No: 56529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:11 PM

I recently purchased a 2007 MTD Pro 17-1/2 HP lawn tractor with the single speed trans vari -drive.system which I am pleased with. The problem is a slight lube leak under the trans. I don't know how much remains so am considering drilling a hole in the trans top [I know how to deal with drill chips] and injecting more lube. MTD now use Benalene which is $21.00 for an 8 oz tube. The manual calls for 19 oz after rebuild. The local Agco dealer sells Mobilux EP-0 14 oz for under $10.00. Can any members tell me if this is compatable with the remainder of the original lube. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Old silver, May 13, 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I recently purchased a 2007 MTD Pro 17-1/2 HP lawn tractor with the single speed trans vari -drive.system which I am pleased with. The problem is a slight lube leak under the trans. I don't know how much remains so am considering drilling a hole in the trans top [I know how to deal with drill chips] and injecting more lube. MTD now use Benalene which is $21.00 for an 8 oz tube. The manual calls for 19 oz after rebuild. The local Agco dealer sells Mobilux EP-0 14 oz for under $10.00. Can any members tell me if this is compatable with the remainder of the original lube. Thanks for any replies.

WELCOME! I've used a certain type of John Deere grease that sounds quite close to what MTD uses. I will look and see what it's called, if your interested.

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:16 PM

I think if the grease that your Agco dealer has is type "0", it should be fine, though I can't say for sure.