9 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yesterday, I finally got to go pickup an old water pump. About a month ago, my brother bought a tractor from another member (Case 442) on here and while we were talking, he mentioned that he had an old water pump that he bought from a local fire station. After my brother and I got home, my brother was talking to him and he said he would sell it to me. I finally go back out to pick it up. It has a Wisconsin engine, which is unfortunately missing the tag (if someone can help identify what model the engine is, that would be great). Today, I had time to mess with it and found out that it still had fairly good spark after sitting for years. I cleaned up the end of the plug wire that went into the magneto and cleaned the points. I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and it fired right up. Now I just need to find some hose so I can use it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2229.JPG
  • 100_2230.JPG
  • 100_2231.JPG

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Looks like an ACN/BKN to me.  What numbers are on the magneto?  Sometimes Fairbanks Morse stamped a Wisconsin part number on the tag that would give away what the engine could be.

Ben W.

• trowel and suburban 12 have said thanks

#3 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Thanks, I will have to check that.

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Looks like an ACN/BKN to me.  What numbers are on the magneto?  Sometimes Fairbanks Morse stamped a Wisconsin part number on the tag that would give away what the engine could be.

Ben W.

The model number on the tag is "XD1B7".

• superaben said thank you

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:41 AM

The threads on the fire pump are very course threads. You will have to look to a fire equipment company find those threads. They do make adapters to go from the fire threads to pipe threads.

Good luck with your new pump.

• superaben and suburban 12 have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 01:13 PM

The model number on the tag is "XD1B7".

Nope, if that's all there is, Wisconsin didn't have their number stamped on the tag.  It would have a "Y" prefix.  However, it does still work for a ACN/BKN.  I'm willing to bet that's what it is.  You'll only know for certain by pulling the head and measuring the bore. 

I can't see if its a Marvel Schebler or a Zenith carburetor.  That also might help determine what it is. 

The threads on the fire pump are very course threads. You will have to look to a fire equipment company find those threads. They do make adapters to go from the fire threads to pipe threads.

Good luck with your new pump.

I can get some hose for you if you want, I know where there is a stock pile that needs a home.

Ben W.

• trowel and suburban 12 have said thanks

#7 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Nope, if that's all there is, Wisconsin didn't have their number stamped on the tag.  It would have a "Y" prefix.  However, it does still work for a ACN/BKN.  I'm willing to bet that's what it is.  You'll only know for certain by pulling the head and measuring the bore. 

I can't see if its a Marvel Schebler or a Zenith carburetor.  That also might help determine what it is. 

I can get some hose for you if you want, I know where there is a stock pile that needs a home.

Ben W.

It has a zenith carb. It is 2 1/2" inner diameter. Free hose, how much can you get me and what will it cost to get it here? Is any of it "hard line" that can be used for the intake?

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Neat old pump.  Some of the irrigation supply stores would have those fitttings to switch over. 

• trowel said thank you

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:03 PM

It has a zenith carb. It is 2 1/2" inner diameter. Free hose, how much can you get me and what will it cost to get it here? Is any of it "hard line" that can be used for the intake?

Since it is a Zenith, and as long as that is the original carburetor, you have an ACN/BKN.   To know more than that, you'd have to measure the bore. 

No hoses are related to intake, this is all the discharge side from what I understand.  Its all canvas hose. 

I doubt me if the hose is free.  I don't know what the stuff is worth, but it isn't mine so I can't give it away. 

How much do you want and I'll figure it out?  I think it is in 50 foot lengths.  Or whatever is standard on fire hose.  I don't pretend to set myself up as an expert on it.

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#10 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 01:01 PM

I was looking at is closer, and there was a thread adapter on the out let end of the pump. So, at one point this was a commercial pump and ended up at the fire station. So I can use regular hose or fire hose, which ever I find first. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00191.JPG
  • DSC00192.JPG

Edited by suburban 12, March 16, 2014 - 01:18 PM.