• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I decided to completely rewire the 145, since the old wiring harness was a complete rats nest that somebody had cut and spliced a million times.  The schematic in the manual is semi confusing, as it's difficult to know if you're running the right wire to the right plug or slide on post.  The safety switch on mine was present when I got it, but was unused and bypassed.  None of the wires coming off the 5 wire key harness were going to the right place near as I can tell.  The PTO switch the guy had only had 3 terminals, the book shows a 4 terminal switch.  I was able to get a 5 wire harness with the right plug for the key, but I've got no clue if I'm wiring the right wire to the right device.  Does anyone have a "cliff notes" schematic they've done?  I found a 5 terminal PTO switch from NAPA that's as close as I can find to stock, some pics are below, anyone make heads or tails of it's configuration and if it'll work/which of the 4 wires that need to go to it will work?

DSCF0086.JPG DSCF0088.JPG

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:22 PM

A test light or ohm meter could be used to figure out which terminal is hot/switched on/off.

• superaben said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that will work. Anybody's guess which terminal is which. Any number's next to them? Should 2 safety switch wires, power supply and then wire goingto clutch. Pretty sure thats how it is on my 165. Do you have an ohm meter?

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:22 PM

The pto switch will only let power to the start circuit in the off position. If it is in the on position it opens the circuit to the solenoid so the engine won't start. Noel
Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • Firemang said thank you

#5 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that will work. Anybody's guess which terminal is which. Any number's next to them? Should 2 safety switch wires, power supply and then wire goingto clutch. Pretty sure thats how it is on my 165. Do you have an ohm meter?

Yeah I do, was just hoping someone had a simple/easier diagram than whats in the book.  Didnt want to have to play wire detective but oh well.  Like say, there's 5 wires coming off the key harness, no way to tell which is which cuz the harness that was there, didnt match the colors from the book.  New harness doesnt either.  The book doesnt tell you where to run which wire to the safety switch. Sure it tells you what wire and where from, but doesnt tell you prong 1 or prong 2 on the safety switch.  I just hope that I dont short and fry something when I put power to it.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 05:10 AM

I made up a colorized diagram that was much easier to follow. I'll see if I can find it.

FordWiringDiagram.jpg

Found it. See if this helps. I made it from the diagram in the manual.

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Ok thanks Kenny that helps some. Could somebody show me which terminal is the "B", "R", "S", "I", and "A" on the five wire key harness? Mine doesn't have any markings so I can't tell which is which

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 03:21 PM

On the diagram above, the S is in the middle. B is to the left of it and I is to the right. A is below the I & R is below the B.

#9 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:08 AM

What size fuses are at the key switch and light switch?

Thanks

GEL

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 06:19 AM

My tractor has a 20 AMP fuse in those places.

• nycub122 and Firemang have said thanks