#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I have this motor in my possession but I don't know how to decode the numbers. Can any decode for me?

Size size and year???

I got plans for it  :smilewink:  Got it to fire on starting fluid tonight! :rocker2:

Now I owe some guy some money...Oohhh Searstractorfan 

326437 0027-01 7703101

32 Cubic inch??  What Hp is that 13 or 14?  I know my 30Cu in is a 12 Hp.

March of 1977???

Also, how do I get these pulleys off in the pic below? I realise the outer one is split ring and need to slide inwards? I have to remove them and the cast housing, this motor was on a fire engine brush truck and ran a water pump.

CAM00134_zpsa2e23cf3.jpg

CAM00135_zps26538e4b.jpg

CAM00136_zps27f6b7e0.jpg

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Yes it's made in 1977 I know that much from the numbers lol I was told it's a 16 but can't prove it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:38 PM

On removing the pulley. Spray it all down with wd40 or a like penetrant. Then You take the three bolts that were holding it on and thread them into the three holes that are threaded in the Top Hat (inner part of the pulley) that will push the outer pulley part back and you can then pull the Top Hat  off. Sometimes you have to wedge a screwdriver into the slot of the Top Hat, careful not to break it in order to loosen it up enough to get off. Good Luck. :rocker2:

• MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:43 PM

32 cub inch, 16 hp, march 1977, replaced the 325431 engine in the mid 70's.

:ditto:  on removing the pully

• superaben and TAHOE have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Guess I gotta find three bolts that will fit. 

So I basically pull the front split tapered pulley into the rear one then they will slide off shaft? 

OOOOO, 16 hp Yea buddy!!! 4 more than the stock 12 I have plans for!!! 

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Guess I gotta find three bolts that will fit. 

So I basically pull the front split tapered pulley into the rear one then they will slide off shaft? 

3 of the holes should go into the inner pulley and the other three hit the face of the pulley, you put your bolts in the holes that go to the face (they should be threaded) then evenly and carefully tighten them down and it will remove the collar from the pulley  

• olcowhand and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 10:05 PM

The flange the three bolts go thru will break quite easily. Get some moderate pressure w/ the bolts and using a brass or soft iron punch, tap on the pulley all the way around. If it doesn't break loose tighten the bolts in very small increments and keep tapping. Patience is a valuable virtue in this case. 

Mike

• Bill56, MH81, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:26 AM

When you thread the 3 bolts into the inner ring they will then push the outer ring towards the engine, thus seperating the 2 parts. THEN you remove the inner ring (the one tight on the crankshaft). The outer ring will fall off once the inner ring is removed.

• TAHOE said thank you

#9 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I got some pb blaster we can shoot on it.. Might be able to hook the collar with my wheel puller too..

#10 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I got some pb blaster we can shoot on it.. Might be able to hook the collar with my wheel puller too..

No oil of any kind is needed nor recommended for this type of bushing, and do not use oil or grease on the tapered portion or the shaft on reassembly as per mfgr. instructions. Please trust me on this as I've worked w/ 100's of these over 32 yrs of crushing rock.
Mike
  • Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Need some more advice regarding removing this pulley. I have tried and I ended up breaking all 3 grade 8 bolts trying to pulled inner/outer together. I tightened each a little at a time then used hammer to lightly beat on  the pulleys...they are stuck good.Now I am screwed trying to get it apart. I'm thinking I may need a reverse drill to back out broken bolts and give it another try. I even thought about cutting off somehow with grinder. 

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Need some more advice regarding removing this pulley. I have tried and I ended up breaking all 3 grade 8 bolts trying to pulled inner/outer together. I tightened each a little at a time then used hammer to lightly beat on  the pulleys...they are stuck good.Now I am screwed trying to get it apart. I'm thinking I may need a reverse drill to back out broken bolts and give it another try. I even thought about cutting off somehow with grinder. 

Marty, if you pulled them together, then you tightened it even further.  The outer hub, closest to you, has 3 blank holes and 3 threaded.  It is the threaded ones in the outer hub you use so that you "push" the inner part away from this hub towards the engine.

If you used bolts that thread into the inner portion, this won't stop you from pushing the 2 parts away from each other using the outer threaded holes.  Put plenty of pressure on the bolts, then tap around the inner part till it begins to loosen.  

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 11:30 AM

OR, just let me take that off yours hands.  Looks like a lot of trouble for you to have to go through!  :smilewink:   Synchro engines are hard to come by.  The 325431 this engine replaced was used in the Bush Hog JB1 tractor and was 14HP.

• alec said thank you

#14 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've worked on several of these. Until you see one of these apart, it may be hard to understand how they work and how they come apart. I would Google "split flange pulley" and see if that gives you some understanding. Just think of the piece with the bolt holes as a wedge. You put the bolts into the threaded holes so they PUSH the two pieces apart.

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Marty, The 3 holes that I have circled in yellow should be threaded and you need to use 3 Gr.8 bolts in those holes. They should thread into the outer part of the flange. Get all 3 touching and then only tighten them a 1/4 turn one each bolt. Each full turn of all 3 bolts lightly tap on the out portion of the pulley and keep tightening and tapping until they come apart. Once you have the 2 separated. you will be able to remove the broken bolts out of the back half of the pulley.

CAM00136_zps27f6b7e0.jpg

BTW, I need that engine for my JB Bush Hog !! If you should want to trade of sell it. :D